Do the Bills Make the Playoffs?

billsfan2298

Right now, the Bills stand above .500 at 7-6 with 3 games left to play, against the Patriots and two against the Dolphins. The Bills are in an interesting spot when it comes to the playoffs. We are fighting for a wild card place against the Ravens, Titans, Jaguars, Chargers, Chiefs. The Titans or Jaguars will win their division, and one of the Chiefs and Chargers will win theirs.

Right now, 538 (https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-nfl-predictions/?ex_cid=rrpromo) has their odds at 19%, while the NYT Playoff Simulator (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/upshot/buffalo-bills-nfl-playoff-picture.html#buf-ind-14=win&car-min-14=win&cin-chi-14=loss&cle-gb-14=loss&hou-sf-14=loss&kc-oak-14=win&nyg-dal-14=loss&tb-det-14=loss) has them at 22%.

So, do the Bills make the playoffs?

Not much chance and no upside to sneaking into the playoffs just to get dominated by a far superior opponent.  

This is team is not really talented enough to be a real playoff threat and sneaking in would only set the rebuild back further.  I hope someday to see a good team that makes the playoffs and is a legitimate threat to win the Super Bowl.  This team  has way too many holes to be  legitimate playoff team.

If the Titans go 9-7 and bills go 9-7 that supplants the need to compete with Baltimore.  

This is is of course the case if the chargers win the west.  This is the most likely scenario to get in as I doubt Baltimore loses out.

of course bills need to go 3-1....

All this said I give them a 12% chance.  Zona just missed a FG anywho.

Just now, Patrick_Duffy said:

doubt it, but still hopeful. Even if they would be 1 and done, I'd till like to at least see them make it somehow. But like I said, I very much doubt they make it.

One thing I hope we can all agree on is that yes, a Playoff game would be super exciting and welcome, at least for the week leading up to the game and for a while in the game while the outcome is still in doubt.

I don’t really think they win all three which is what it will most likely  take to make it in. Watch the Bills win against Miami next week and win in NE and then lose to Miami the last week. To top it off the QB for the Dolphins will be someone brought In off the street. 

8-8 or 9-7 for a rookie coach is not bad. 

McDermott will learn time management and game management. They just showed McVay in La. He was on the bench studying the tablet while the LA d was on the field. He leaves everything up to Phillips. I think that is ok for now but wonder if that is sustainable. Maybe McVay will insert himself into more of the HC role as he feels comfortable. 

Mc Dermott will improve. Some of his calls are frustrating right now. I am sure he grades himself tougher than we do. Many successful people are usually their toughest critics. The trick is learning and letting go. 

22 minutes ago, billsfan2298 said:

Right now, the Bills stand above .500 at 7-6 with 3 games left to play, against the Patriots and two against the Dolphins. The Bills are in an interesting spot when it comes to the playoffs. We are fighting for a wild card place against the Ravens, Titans, Jaguars, Chargers, Chiefs. The Titans or Jaguars will win their division, and one of the Chiefs and Chargers will win theirs.

Right now, 538 (https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-nfl-predictions/?ex_cid=rrpromo) has their odds at 19%, while the NYT Playoff Simulator (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/upshot/buffalo-bills-nfl-playoff-picture.html#buf-ind-14=win&car-min-14=win&cin-chi-14=loss&cle-gb-14=loss&hou-sf-14=loss&kc-oak-14=win&nyg-dal-14=loss&tb-det-14=loss) has them at 22%.

So, do the Bills make the playoffs?

Of course not. Come on.

If the Ravens lose at PIT tonight, AND the Bills beat MIA twice, I'd put the odds at more like 35-40%. They would need BAL to lose vs CIN in the final game ( they won't lose to the Browns) . That's about a 60% chance for Baltimore to win imo. Then it spcomes down to SOV tiebreak. Not a great chance but not terrible either . The chances are probably considered lower as the Bills are hardly a lock to win vs anyone twice. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

8-8 or 9-7 for a rookie coach is not bad. 

McDermott will learn time management and game management. They just showed McVay in La. He was on the bench studying the tablet while the LA d was on the field. He leaves everything up to Phillips. I think that is ok for now but wonder if that is sustainable. Maybe McVay will insert himself into more of the HC role as he feels comfortable. 

Mc Dermott will improve. Some of his calls are frustrating right now. I am sure he grades himself tougher than we do. Many successful people are usually their toughest critics. The trick is learning and letting go. 

Sean McVay is laughing at your first sentence.

As for McDermott "learning" time and game management, McD has a choice to make. He can either outsource game management to someone else. Or he can continue to struggle with this for the rest of his career. That's his decision to make.

It's possible but I wouldn't get your hopes up. If we can get 2 of the last 3 there are a number of reasonably plausible scenarios that get us in. I'd say 9-7 is more likely than not to get us in. But if the last 17 years have taught me anything it's not to expect the Bills to come through in a must win game, much less 2 of them.

• Like (+1) 1