Gutless Call to Punt

ChicagoRic

4 minutes ago, familykwi said:

Saying it was the right call does not make it so.  Can you justify your position other than to say "it worked since we won"?  I can justify why this was a poor choice:

1)  Field conditions make punting risky

2)  Last Indy offensive possession demonstrated our defense was tiring

3)  We will execute a short punt to pin them inside the 10.  IF they punt, they will get a full kick thus giving us a longer field with less time.

4)  If he believes his team will win, he believes they can earn one yard, not put them on a field needing probably 30, or more to even get into field goal range.

If McD expects his players to trust the process, that requires him to trust in them too.  Any success we have will not be solely his doing.  He needs to create a culture where he puts faith in his men and shows that he expects them to convert in situations like that. 

Today I found that punt choice rather arrogant on his part.  Instead of letting them win, it highlights HIS choice (good, or bad).  The risk of losing the team by almost literally punting away the season, is not undone by a miracle catch by Thompson and a great finishing run by McCoy.  There is NO WAY McDermott had those plays in the back of his mind when he chose to punt.

I'm not saying he cannot make this team successful, but he needs to be careful not to sabotage himself by trying to prove how smart he is.

this man gets it

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Youre doing an okay job defending it, but even in hindsight, it was as bad of a call that I have ever seen. 4 minutes left. If we hadn’t gotten a quick spot or the colts had a better punt, we would have never had a chance to score. 

He played it conservatively and it worked out for him. I dont think it was that bad of a call. If the Bills didnt convert and the Colts dont have that far to go for field goal range. They kicked one from 40 yards earlier. 

15 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Ok. Be angry all you want. The Bills could have been stuffed on 4th, who knows.

It was likely they would get the ball back with the conditions .

If they get stuffed on 4th down it really wouldn't have been a big deal The Colts punted at what, the 27 that drive? Worst case scenario it would have been a 14 yard difference in field position

35 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

McD is as conservative as they come. Get used to stuff like this. 

Didn’t he go for a couple 4th downs earlier in the game?

It wasn’t what I would have done but it worked and the Bills got the W.

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Youre doing an okay job defending it, but even in hindsight, it was as bad of a call that I have ever seen. 4 minutes left. If we hadn’t gotten a quick spot or the colts had a better punt, we would have never had a chance to score. 

What compounds it is the timeout beforehand as well. He left himself with 1 timeout. He’s lucky the Colts didn’t just run the ball. Or the Brissett missed a wide open receiver. They would have had no time left. And there’s no way he knew that was going to be the outcome.

He got lucky, doesn’t make the decision the correct one.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

If they get stuffed on 4th down it really wouldn't have been a big deal The Colts punted at what, the 27 that drive? Worst case scenario it would have been a 14 yard difference in field position

Exactly! How about first trusting in your offense, THEN if it doesn't work out, you get to trust in your defense.

woo hoo! We beat the Colts! In a mostly meangingless game. If McD had gone for it, and the Bills didn't get the first down, I'd actually be happier than I am now. It would tell me we had a keeper. A coach who knows when to go for it and win the damn game. And I'll be looking forward to next year.

How do you think that same situation would go against the Pats or the Steelers or the Seahawks?

One rule of thumb in football is this: if the opposing team is about to do something that makes you feel relieved, then it's the wrong decision. What do you think Colts fans were thinking when McD chose to punt? "Holy crap! He's giving us a chance to win without going for it! Yay punt!" Do you think any Colts fan wanted to see the Bills go for it there?

Hell no. 

One thing I will never understand about coaches who "punt it and count on our defense to get a stop," is:

If you're so confident in your defense, why not go for it in the first place, and then if you don't get it, count on them to stop the other team? 

3 minutes ago, familykwi said:

Saying it was the right call does not make it so.  Can you justify your position other than to say "it worked since we won"?  I can justify why this was a poor choice:

1)  Field conditions make punting risky

2)  Last Indy offensive possession demonstrated our defense was tiring

3)  We will execute a short punt to pin them inside the 10.  IF they punt, they will get a full kick thus giving us a longer field with less time.

4)  If he believes his team will win, he believes they can earn one yard, not put them on a field needing probably 30, or more to even get into field goal range.

If McD expects his players to trust the process, that requires him to trust in them too.  Any success we have will not be solely his doing.  He needs to create a culture where he puts faith in his men and shows that he expects them to convert in situations like that. 

Today I found that punt choice rather arrogant on his part.  Instead of letting them win, it highlights HIS choice (good, or bad).  The risk of losing the team by almost literally punting away the season, is not undone by a miracle catch by Thompson and a great finishing run by McCoy.  There is NO WAY McDermott had those plays in the back of his mind when he chose to punt.

I'm not saying he cannot make this team successful, but he needs to be careful not to sabotage himself by trying to prove how smart he is.

Sure... The had to score a touchdown to win. If they punt and hold them then they only have to kick a field goal to win. It was easy to see the ball would stick where it landed on the punt so it is reasonable to think they would be pinned deep. Colton Schmidt is a great punter. It is also reasonable to think that the Colts would throw the ball to try to win so there would be plenty of time for a second Bills drive. The Bills defense is the better unit and they could force a turnover. There's a bunch of other reasons too but that should be sufficient. 

19 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I loved seeing that term “McGutless” and I love that it blew up in the original posters face. McD made the right call there 

It was not and never will be the right call to punt there. The fact that we won is irrelevant to the decision

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillsfanAZ said:

actually I am not so sure he does. The Bills punted decently all game and sometimes it is harder to gain one yard when everyone in the stadium knows your running the ball. 

A tie does not help this team, right? 

So why not go for it? If they fail, they still have to stop the Colts, just like if they punt it. But this way, they actually have a better shot at winning the game!

Why is this so hard to understand?

1 minute ago, Domdab99 said:

Exactly! How about first trusting in your offense, THEN if it doesn't work out, you get to trust in your defense.

Agreed. The thing is they ran it for 3 yards on that 3rd and 4 with the read option. They should have done the exact same thing on 4th

5 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

What compounds it is the timeout beforehand as well. He left himself with 1 timeout. He’s lucky the Colts didn’t just run the ball. Or the Brissett missed a wide open receiver. They would have had no time left. And there’s no way he knew that was going to be the outcome.

He got lucky, doesn’t make the decision the correct one.

OMG all of this. If the colts were just not completely incompetent as a team, the Bills do not get another shot at it. 

To all the idiots who think the OT TD and/or Bills win ultimately vindicate McD's call to punt in OT....

They don't.

That decision to punt was one of the worst mental errors I have ever seen  a HC make in a football game.

This is the sort of thing that will drive Mike Schopp absolutely insane.  I hope he gives McD a tough time tomorrow during McD's weekly spot with Schopp and Bulldog.  I would love for Schopp to get into it a little with the coach...Schopp is smarter than him and he will have the winning side of the argument.

Could be entertaining, if Schopp mans up, grows some balls, and let's McD know he was an idiot on that call.

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Like (+1) 1