Could Trent Richardson be a backup RB option?

Just curious if anyone else would be interested in Trent Richardson as a backup RB option, perhaps next year if we do not grab a young guy in the draft or as an UDFA.

NFL numbers were never great as a pure rusher, but he adds something as a receiver and could be a good change of pace back.

He's played well in the CFL recently, currently listed at 5'9 and 225 pounds (5lbs below his listed NFL playing weight) he has 48 rushes for 259 yards (5.4 avg.) and a couple of touchdowns. His best game came on 10/27 when he carried the ball 20 times for 127 yards.

His career yards per carry in the NFL was 3.3. But, he definitely caught the ball well. Would you guess he averaged 8.1 yards per reception during his career? I would not have, but he did. And, it wasn't on a handful of exceptions. He caught 51 passes as a rookie, 35 between the Browns and Colts in 2013, and another 27 in 2014 in a limited role.

I know the reports say he was slow to hit the hole, Jim Brown said he was nothing special, and I remember reporters saying nothing he did looked easy for him. However, I would definitely take a look, especially if we get close to next year with a back up RB situation anything like it has been this year.

5 minutes ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

Just curious if anyone else would be interested in Trent Richardson as a backup RB option, perhaps next year if we do not grab a young guy in the draft or as an UDFA.

NFL numbers were never great as a pure rusher, but he adds something as a receiver and could be a good change of pace back.

He's played well in the CFL recently, currently listed at 5'9 and 225 pounds (5lbs below his listed NFL playing weight) he has 48 rushes for 259 yards (5.4 avg.) and a couple of touchdowns. His best game came on 10/27 when he carried the ball 20 times for 127 yards.

His career yards per carry in the NFL was 3.3. But, he definitely caught the ball well. Would you guess he averaged 8.1 yards per reception during his career? I would not have, but he did. And, it wasn't on a handful of exceptions. He caught 51 passes as a rookie, 35 between the Browns and Colts in 2013, and another 27 in 2014 in a limited role.

I know the reports say he was slow to hit the hole, Jim Brown said he was nothing special, and I remember reporters saying nothing he did looked easy for him. However, I would definitely take a look, especially if we get close to next year with a back up RB situation anything like it has been this year.

.....guy has more frequent flier miles than yards.....good Lord NO...............

I’d definitly bring him in as a camp body.  Tolbert was our #2 rb.  He can’t be much worse than him.  Hopefully Tolbert retires, but we won’t be that lucky.  My biggest problem with McD is insisting Tolbert could be a good #2 rb.  He is not.

4 minutes ago, Cruiserplayer said:

He could definitely be our change of pace back. McCoy’s 4.45 forty then hit them with Trent’s 6.7. Defenses would not what to do.

....suggest they field one and rest the other 10 for following week....should be enough of a stopper...................

1 hour ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

Brother, with all due respect you must have not watched his games on two NFL teams.  He was horrible.  We should have never let go Gillespie, but we'll pick up a RB in the draft with McCoy turning 30 even though heirs still awesome.  Not his fault this year.  Dennison' O Line scheme does not fit this team.

They should have never changed the power run from last two years.