Top five qb in Bills history

4 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Dennis Shaw, pre-injury, would be a lock.

If you say Losman, it's a comedy thread.

I don't remember Shaw's injury. I remember ROY season and then downhill fast.

I'm wondering how many people lauding Ferguson actually saw him play. I had absolutely no faith that he would ever come through when we needed him. He certainly had his good moments but he made so many awful, ill-timed interceptions that I can't separate those plays from his good ones even to this day. Great talent, good guy, competitor and all the skills you need, but lacked the intangibles needed to be successful.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Johnny green, Kay Stephenson, dan daraugh, james harris and Dennis Shaw, my top

Good old Johnny Green.  They couldn't figure out why he threw all those interceptions until they checked his eyes and determined he was color blind.

58 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I don't remember Shaw's injury. I remember ROY season and then downhill fast.

I'm wondering how many people lauding Ferguson actually saw him play. I had absolutely no faith that he would ever come through when we needed him. He certainly had his good moments but he made so many awful, ill-timed interceptions that I can't separate those plays from his good ones even to this day. Great talent, good guy, competitor and all the skills you need, but lacked the intangibles needed to be successful.

I believe it was his shoulder.

6 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It’s to small of a sample size but Orton is going to be the least appreciated qb in Bills history. That 12 game stretch that he played was the best team of the drought. The guy came off the street with almost no time in the offense, zero running game and a tough schedule only to put up some of the best numbers any Bills qb ever has. If he got that full season in, we were going to make the playoffs. If he got 1 more year in that offense, who knows what we would look like today. Orton wasn’t here long enough to be mentioned with those other guys on that list, but he was a better QB then anyone after Kelly IMO. That was the closest thing we have had to a legit NFL passing offense since real early Bledsoe.

He just retired, he didn't care about having any more years. He was dropping off big time towards the end of the year. Just didn't want to play anymore.

Kelly

Kemp

Flutie

Ferguson

Kelly was obviously one but Kemp two because he won a championship. I wasn’t alive at the time but he deserves it based on that. Flute because although he was only here for a season or two when the Bills threaten to move to Canada they signed him, had a ton of people sign up for season tickets from Canada and that shut the front office up. He and Ferguson are the only other playoff QBs I remember in my 43 years.  Flutie gets the nod for the Canadian influences. There doesn’t deserve to be a 5th greatest QB. Frank Reich was a backup and maybe the best ever at that but still a backup. 

Sad and we haven’t had a real QB since Kelly. 

Great thread but depressing.

Can't wait for the day I can argue with people on here of who is/was better in a Bills uni. Kelly or Bills QB X? 

Seeing some of the lists is just flat out sad and what has held this team back hardcore for so many years. 

Edited by Real McCoy

16 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

according to my dad, Marangi was better than Fergy, just never got a fair shake:lol:

Father knows best.

16 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Maybe this isn't entirely fair but here's how I remember Flutie...

Flutie would flat out suck for three quarters.  But our D was so strong in those days that they'd keep the game close.  Then Flutie would do something athletically superhuman in the game in the fourth quarter to put the Bills on top. 

Great!  But why did Flutie have to suck the first three quarters?  The D won games in that era, not Dougie.  

Fellow Hiesman winner Roger Staubach used to do this too. Drove us nuts sometimes.

The thing I remember about Flutie was winning.

And the Defense was unable to win very many games with Rob Johnson in.

22 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

I think Flutie may be the most overrated QB in our history. He did very little, but represent himself well. I would drop him from this list and put Frank Reich at #5. While just a back up, he had performances that changed our history.

1.  Jim Kelly 

2. Jack Kemp

3. Joe Ferguson (does not get the respect he deserves)

4. Daryle Lamonica

5. Frank Reich

I agree..Doug was overrated.  I would have put Bledsoe above Frank.  The list shows that we have had crappy QBs.

23 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

according to my dad, Marangi was better than Fergy, just never got a fair shake:lol:

I was still pretty young, 10 or 11, When Gary Marangi played. What your father said brings back a lot of memories.

I remember the debate about the two, Marangi and Ferguson, and remember when Fergy struggled, there was a lot of people calling for Marangi. Marangi did have some very good games, as did Fergy.

Personally, I always thought Fergy was a great quarterback, but was saddled with piss poor coaching pretty much the whole time he was here, until the end when Chuck Knox came to town.

Hard for me to pick a top five, as in 45 years of watching this team, I remember two good ones: Jim Kelly, Joe Ferguson.

I remember some god awful ones: Joe Dufek, Vince Ferregamo, Billy Joe Hobert, to mention a few.

On 12/9/2017 at 9:40 AM, hondo in seattle said:

Yikes.  Marangi is on my list  of five worst.

Fergy is underrated by many because he wasn't very good at the beginning of his career when his main duty was to give the ball to OJ.  And he wasn't very good at the end of his career when his skills were in decline.  But there was a golden middle when he was one of the best QBs in the league.  

Just thinking of that golden middle, I would rate Fergy ahead of everyone except Kelly.

But if we're cherry picking periods, Bledsoe's first half season with the Bills was excellent.   

Maybe this isn't entirely fair but here's how I remember Flutie...

Flutie would flat out suck for three quarters.  But our D was so strong in those days that they'd keep the game close.  Then Flutie would do something athletically superhuman in the game in the fourth quarter to put the Bills on top. 

Great!  But why did Flutie have to suck the first three quarters?  The D won games in that era, not Dougie.  

Flutie is wildly overrated by most Bills fans.  Mediocre QB at best with arguably the best defense the BIlls ever had, one season set a franchise record for lowest points scored against....imagine Tyrod Taylor with the defense we had for the first 7 games of the season, that was Flutie...except Tyrod has a stronger arm.