Top five qb in Bills history

Boy... one career back-up... albeit a very good one (Reich)... a guy who had one pretty good year in Buffalo (Flutie)... and a guy who mainly played for another team (Lamonica) on many of the lists here.  Completely agree with the sentiment that Joe Ferguson was criminally underrated though.  I'd rate him second... behind only Jim Kelly.

Just now, Jamie Mueller said:

Boy... one career back-up... albeit a very good one (Reich)... a guy who had one pretty good year in Buffalo (Flutie)... and a guy who mainly played for another team (Lamonica) on many of the lists here.  Completely agree with the sentiment that Joe Ferguson was criminally underrated though.  I'd rate him second... behind only Jim Kelly.

...BUT....how BETTER to state the "State of the QB Position" at OBD post Kelly?.............

2 hours ago, vincec said:

I’m not sure how you can put Flutie ahead of Ferguson. He has one good season in Buffalo.

This.  That’s just crazy. Ferguson 3rd imo.  Bledsoe 4th.  5th doesn’t even matter.  Whoever it is wasn’t very good.  Reich would get my vote because I never saw Lamonica play.  

Flutie doesn’t belong 

59 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....absolutely agree...he thought he was the greatest invention since beer.....couldn't stand him or his lousy flakes...............

+1

4 hours ago, Dunkirk Don said:

In all due respect your dad is wrong. Fergie was underrated 

U r correct fergie above flutie

Agreed on Fergy, but we would have probably had a different opinion if Flutie was able to play that TN game and won.  Johnson was absolutely awful.  Had no. Business on the field when we started I believe 0-3 and we place him back in after Flutie won so many games that year.

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

Pretty depressing if you ask me.

Yeah, our top five QB list is awful.  

We've been much better at drafting/acquiring RBs.  Here are some of the contenders for our RB Top Five list in comparison:

OJ

Thurman

Freddy

Cookie

Joe Cribbs

Marshawn

Shady

Travis Henry 

Greg Bell

Willis McGahee

It’s to small of a sample size but Orton is going to be the least appreciated qb in Bills history. That 12 game stretch that he played was the best team of the drought. The guy came off the street with almost no time in the offense, zero running game and a tough schedule only to put up some of the best numbers any Bills qb ever has. If he got that full season in, we were going to make the playoffs. If he got 1 more year in that offense, who knows what we would look like today. Orton wasn’t here long enough to be mentioned with those other guys on that list, but he was a better QB then anyone after Kelly IMO. That was the closest thing we have had to a legit NFL passing offense since real early Bledsoe.

Kelly, Ferguson, Fitzpatrick, Taylor, Bledsoe.

I can’t put Kemp on this list because he was a sub .500 completion passer in an era where many passers were above .500 and the fact he was a Terry Bradshaw like beneficiary of being on good teams. Kemp is an admirable leader, but his skills as a passer rank way below the 5 on this list. 

Anyone that puts Daryle Lamonica in their top QB’s that ever played in Buffalo is just trying to be cute like they actually know something.

The guy completed 42 percent of his passes and had 16 TD’s and 23 INT’s. 

Let’s end the silly, stupid charade right now.

Daryle Lamonica sucked as a Buffalo Bill.

SUCKED.

2 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Anyone that puts Daryle Lamonica in their top QB’s that ever played in Buffalo is just trying to be cute like they actually know something.

SUCKED.

....LMAO BOE......but with a name like the "Mad Bomber", how could you resist?..........:D

8 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Kelly, Ferguson, Fitzpatrick, Taylor, Bledsoe.

I can’t put Kemp on this list because he was a sub .500 completion passer in an era where many passers were above .500 and the fact he was a Terry Bradshaw like beneficiary of being on good teams. Kemp is an admirable leader, but his skills as a passer rank way below the 5 on this list. 

I'm not knocking this list, but it is a sad commentary on the Bills organization when our Top Five QBs include two QBs few teams would want as starters (Fitz, TT) and another guy (Bledsoe) who only was good for us for about a half of one season.  

Another team's list might look something like this:  Joe Montana, Y.A. Tittle, Steve Young, John Brodie, Jeff Garcia.  

8 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

SUCKED.

This is true.

But a number of Bills fans (including my childhood best friend's dad) were mad when Lamonica was traded because they believed the guy was going to develop into something special.  Even as a Bill, Lamonica flashed something promising.

16 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

SUCKED.

OK.

Jim Kelly

Daryle Lamonica as a Raider

Flutie.

That’s all I’ve got.

8 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm not knocking this list, but it is a sad commentary on the Bills organization when our Top Five QBs include two QBs few teams would want as starters (Fitz, TT) and another guy (Bledsoe) who only was good for us for about a half of one season.  

Another team's list might look something like this:  Joe Montana, Y.A. Tittle, Steve Young, John Brodie, Jeff Garcia.  

I get your point. The 9ers have arguably the best QBs ever. Try a team like Pittsburgh, Bears, Lions, Browns, and you see long stretches of mediocrity under center. 

16 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

I get your point. The 9ers have arguably the best QBs ever. Try a team like Pittsburgh, Bears, Lions, Browns, and you see long stretches of mediocrity under center. 

...but for both the Niners & Steelers organizations, it was a combination of many factors......non-meddlesome owners (Rooneys & DeBartolo-NOT implying Pegula is in any way meddlesome), solid football organizations with FOOTBALL people running the show (Colbert has been Steelers GM since 2000; Carmen Policy with Niners; Bflo had 17 years of patchwork unqualifieds), coaches (Steelers have had 3 HC's in the last 48 years; Walsh in Niners land = nuff said).....Niners QB's were as stated leading to 4 Lombardis....Steelers didn't quite have the same pedigree (but kudos to Bradshaw) but still have managed SIX Lombardis.....so two prime examples of clubs that took different paths to the same result......stellar QB's or game managers both worked............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy