Short passing in NFL by 538

BarleyNY

7 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Taylor doesn't trust his arm to make contested throws, guys had to be wide open for him to even attempt a pass. He doesn't trust his WR to make plays, those two end zone passes against Gilmore Taylor never would've attempted. If Antonio Brown or Julio Jones had Taylor as a QB they would be in his face on the sidelines telling him to throw me the damn ball.

....wide open AND stationary.........he has shown no ability to spot receivers or trust them as you indicated.........and after 7 years at this level, I don't see how you can cure that "syndrome".......it is a mental and confidence aspect of the game.....the same one I think that sealed EJ's doom.....................

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The key with Bree's is that he places the ball where the WR can catch and run up field. Taylor throws the ball behind or at targets he doesn't lead the WR and throw the ball to where the WR will be.

Constantly - it's maddening to anyone with eyes.

And the throwing "at targets" is when he's having a good day - too often his throws are at the toes of his receivers on simple 5 yard routes and screens.

Edited by BobChalmers

And if he could throw an accurate pass we would be talking about playoffs. Any pass he throws the receiver has to go back for it. He's late on almost every throw. A lot of these plays, if he just puts the ball out in front and to the numbers, guys can make plays. Tyrod has never been able to do that. Never will.

2 minutes ago, Luka said:

And if he could throw an accurate pass we would be talking about playoffs. Any pass he throws the receiver has to go back for it. He's late on almost every throw. A lot of these plays, if he just puts the ball out in front and to the numbers, guys can make plays. Tyrod has never been able to do that. Never will.

Good luck making the argument that a guy who is completing 63.2% of his passes is NEVER accurate. 

My mind is literally blown that someone would even type something like that. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

Good luck making the argument that a guy who is completing 63.2% of his passes is NEVER accurate. 

Your mind is blown, literally?  Come on man, let’s not be so sensitive. 

Smdh. If you can’t judge trod, then What can you judge accurately. I’d question your ability  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Schmuggs said:

Your mind is blown, literally?  Come on man, let’s not be so sensitive. 

Smdh. If you can’t judge trod, then What can you judge accurately. I’d question your ability  

What are you talking about? The dude literally used the word NEVER twice. To imply such a thing when he completes 63% of his passes is beyond mindblowing. 

10 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

I agree that we can't say "never" accurate. TT certainly has his moments. 

But there's a difference between completion percentage (balls caught) vs. accuracy (ball placement). Most QBs don't have a great mastery of the latter, Tyrod included. It's what separates the good from great passers. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I agree that we can't say "never" accurate. TT certainly has his moments. 

But there's a difference between completion percentage (balls caught) vs. accuracy (ball placement). Most QBs don't have a great mastery of the latter, Tyrod included. It's what separates the good from great passers. 

I wouldn't have even responded to a post like the one you just made because it is an argument that isn't debateable. It's when someone uses words like "never". That's the issue. 

21 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

Ball placement kiddo, it's what separates the great ones from the below average ones. Casual fans that read PFF don't see that anywhere in their stats so they just can't figure it out. If it wasn't for his ability to run and his great arm, he would've been out of the league years ago. He's a boom or bust passer. He will wow you with a scramble and a strike every now and then, but for the most part the ball is behind, low or high of his receiver. Gives the receiver zero chance to make a play after the catch.

Edited by Luka
  • Like (+1) 1

Ball placement kiddo, it's what separates the great ones from the below average ones. Casual fans that read PFF don't see that anywhere in their stats so they just can't figure it out. If it wasn't for his ability to run and his great arm, he would've been out of the league years ago. He's a boom or bust passer. He will wow you with a scramble and a strike every now and then, but for the most part the ball is behind, low or high of his receiver.

I'm glad you realized that it was a poor idea to try and defend the "never" that you used in your first post. Kiddo. 

Edited by Theshallowcross

You've got nothing, sport.

Ugh. Do you want to have a debate about something that you have no clue about? I'd be happy to do this but I was trying to not have an unending Tyrod debate. Most people have made up their minds so I see no point in a back and forth. You have nothing which is why you keep using words like kiddo and sport. It's hilarious. 

Edited by Theshallowcross

Here's his original scouting report after the rookie combine from NFL Network and the highlighted part in his weaknesses is my biggest source of frustration with him...  http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tyrod-taylor?id=2495240 

This seems pretty accurate although I would argue he's improved when it comes to his footwork and making too many ill advised throws (although many think he's too careful).  I think they move on from him, but he is a quarterback you could make the playoffs with.  He needs a good defense, a good pass blocking O-line, and a better WR core in order to succeed though (specifically WR's that can stretch the field).  We've never had all three at once, but that just shows his limits as a quarterback. 

OVERVIEW

Taylor is a hard working kid that has improved every year, but it is unclear if he can play quarterback at the next level. He has a quick release and a strong arm, but he is somewhat erratic as a passer. He also does not show the consistent sound decision making to be an efficient quarterback. His greatest asset is his athleticism and he should be able to contribute immediately as a running back, receiver or return man. A terrific senior season, where he completed nearly 60% of his passes, has helped his draft stock and he could sneak into the third round.

STRENGTHS

Taylor is an excellent athlete with a thick muscular build. Has excellent mobility and continually evades the rush while keeping his eyes downfield. Has above average arm strength and flashes the ability to fit the ball into tight windows on short to intermediate routes. Team leader and fierce competitor.

WEAKNESSES

Does not possess adequate height and too many of his passes are knocked down at the line. Sloppy footwork prevents him from stepping into throws making him an erratic passer. Locks onto receivers and often telegraphs his throws. Struggles breaking down coverage and makes too many ill-advised throws.

Edited by Doc Brown

17 minutes ago, Luka said:

Another example of ridiculous exaggeration with so many plays that easily refute this.  

12 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

Ugh. Do you want to have a debate about something that you have no clue about? I'd be happy to do this but I was trying to not have an unending Tyrod debate. Most people have made up their minds so I see no point in a back and forth. You have nothing which is why you keep using words like kiddo and sport. It's hilarious. 

I presented my argument, you're only retort is hanging on a word I used. I may have no clue but yet if you watch good QBs rarely do you see guys having to dive, twist, jump and spin just catch a 5 yard pass.  Your assessment of "but 63% bro!" is meaningless. Accuracy has everything to do with where you put the ball, the anticipation of the route and throwing to a spot. That's how the NFL works. Windows are small, guys are typically covered and you have to throw them open. Tyrod has proven he can't do that.

EDIT: Now I see you've posted a highlight video in defense of your argument. Have a good night, champ.

Edited by Luka

3 minutes ago, Luka said:

I presented my argument, you're only retort is hanging on a word I used. I may have no clue but yet if you watch good QBs rarely do you see guys having to dive, twist, jump and spin just catch a 5 yard pass.  Your assessment of "but 63% bro!" is meaningless. Accuracy has everything to do with where you put the ball, the anticipation of the route and throwing to a spot. That's how the NFL works. Windows are small, guys are typically covered and you have to throw them open. Tyrod has proven he can't do that 

Like I said, you've made up your mind. Even in the face of statistical evidence that is posted quite regularly, your mind has been made. And that's fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.