Is the 2018 QB class highly overrated?

Klaista2k

49 minutes ago, K-9 said:

All due respect,  but 4-5 QBs picked in the top ten says more about teams desperate for QBs than it says about the ability of the prospects available to meet those needs. This isn’t a very strong QB class, but that’s the case in most years. 

My opinion may change after the Senior Bowl when I get my first peak at a few compiled reports from a few guys around the league, but I don’t expect it to, at least for the top prospects. 

Teams are always desperate for QBs, 5 don’t always go in the top 10 or so. This class is good.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Teams are always desperate for QBs, 5 don’t always go in the top 10 or so. This class is good.

And that desperation always leads to QBs being over-drafted. I get that and I understand why teams need to reach for the most important position in sports. But that doesn't sway my thinking. I'm hearing it's Rosen and then everybody else at this point, with Rosen the only one with a preliminary grade typically assigned to a legit top 10 pick. Looking forward to the post Senior Bowl reports, when the preliminary compilations first start to crystallize before the combine.  

Hot take OP. Mason Rudolph, Lamar Jackson.. First of all you have no idea how these guys will end up. But there's 6 guys flirting with 1st round potential. That's a deep quarterback class is all. To say otherwise is.. wrong. Overrated? We'll find out 2 years from now. Before then why be a downer about it lol.

15 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

Remember before the season everyone was saying how the 2018 QB class was going to be one of the best in a very long time?

Let's take a look at it now.

Sam Darnold- It looks like he may be going back to college?

Josh Rosen- Probably the best QB in the class but I'm seeing a lot of Cutler comparisons.

Baker Mayfield- He's undersized, not every athletic, and some character issues.

Josh Allen- This guy has fallen off big time. Won't even be a 1st or 2nd round pick. No Thanks.

There you have it. This once "promising" QB class looks completely underwhelming. 

The Cutler-Rosen comparison is pretty funny and accurate...Darnold is the best and he won't be available. I still like Mason R but not in the top 10...

Nope. This class was viewed as better than 2016, and still is. The narrative was never " greatest in awhile". Mostly just much better than last year . I don't think that has changed much. Darn old coming out was never a sure thing. Kiper said recently he thinks the best NFL QB when all is said and done is Josh Allen. There will be many QBs picked. Mostvhave played more than one season at say, North Carolina. 

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Nope. This class was viewed as better than 2016, and still is. The narrative was never " greatest in awhile". Mostly just much better than last year . I don't think that has changed much. Darn old coming out was never a sure thing. Kiper said recently he thinks the best NFL QB when all is said and done is Josh Allen. There will be many QBs picked. Mostvhave played more than one season at say, North Carolina. 

Not to argue, and I don’t know how it will turn out, but there was a big “best since ‘83 push”. How it looks 10 years from now? No idea. Josh Allen as the best of them is an interesting notion as he doesn’t seem very accurate throwing the ball, which is kind of what you want in a QB. Then again, I’ve been wrong before. A lot. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Not to argue, and I don’t know how it will turn out, but there was a big “best since ‘83 push”. How it looks 10 years from now? No idea. Josh Allen as the best of them is an interesting notion as he doesn’t seem very accurate throwing the ball, which is kind of what you want in a QB. Then again, I’ve been wrong before. A lot. 

To some degree. I heard a few references made to that year. Mostly due tho the potential of the number of QBs being drafted high. That shouldn't be confused with the greatness of the outcome of '83, with regard to HOF type players. I believe that is what the OP is getting confused to some degree. QBs now will likely be drafted higher than in years past, for many reasons as you well know. So there are many potential candidates in this draft, it's better than last years according to most pundits. We don't know how they will pan out, and none was ever thought of as a "Luck type" prospect. They are good prospects , it would be great if we had that crystal ball to the future. The opinions on the prospects don't seem to have changed much, and that's what I was getting at. I don't disagree with you though. 

Just now, Buffalo30 said:

Don't know how we can judge a class before they play on the field 

We cannot. That said, it's still a class with many good prospects. Prospect being the key here. None of these players fall into the " as close as you can get to a sure thing" category a la Manning, Luck etc. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

We cannot. That said, it's still a class with many good prospects. Prospect being the key here. None of these players fall into the " as close as you can get to a sure thing" category a la Manning, Luck etc. 

Agreed.  I guess the title screws up the logic for me.  They aren't the best prospects no, doesn't mean they can't be the best class.  They could also be the worst haha.  We have to wait to find out

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Well,  then it seems you’re completely missing the point of what we do here!     :)

Haha .. lol. There is a lot of truth to that Augie  . We love to make our definitive proclamations. I just hope the Bills find that QB we've been waiting for. Whoever it might be! 

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......this just in....Gruden graded EVERY single one with an A+++....how do you pick NOW?.....

Gruden, haha

My picks stay the same

Rosen

Darnold

Mayfield

With Rudolph the steal of the draft

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Are we using the flawed argument of Comp% as an indication of accuracy again?

It only seems to be flawed when someone completes a good percentage. Jackson has mediocre accuracy and the fact that he even plays on a system that favors QB’s works in my arguments favor. 

Or do you not understand how things work?

7 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

Gruden, haha

My picks stay the same

Rosen

Darnold

Mayfield

With Rudolph the steal of the draft

I think the Bills would have to trade up for Rudolph from where they will be picking. So giving up a couple of first round picks and probably another 3rd or 2nd rd pick between this and the 2019 drafts will not "technically" be a steal. However, I do see Rudolph as exactly the type of QB that McDermott and Beane would target as their franchise QB and won't be shy about giving up the picks necessary to get him.

If Kiper thinks Josh Allen is going to be the greatest.......well that's good enough for me......stay the hell away from Josh Allen!

Because when you have a guy who finished #4 in passing in the MWC and then drops to 7th his senior year you've just got to NOT pull the trigger.

Edited by horned dogs
  • Like (+1) 1