Is the 2018 QB class highly overrated?

Klaista2k

4 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

This is the class we need to swing big on at QB. They always wait or try to build first and wait on drafting one or with EJ move back and then grab one.

Problem is it lessens the chance of hitting on one. If there is any QB class to swing on it's this one. Fans have been waiting too long, if they do not swing this time this team is never going to get out of the longest playoffless hole in all of sports and fans are just going to end up jumping over the falls wondering why this team never buys a lottery QB ticket. If you never buy a ticket you will never win. Sadly for Tyrod it is why the bridge idea is dead with most fans, IMO we are all ready to jump.

Just do it, if you strike gold the dynasty starts if not you buy another ticket. If they keep avoiding going for one another decade will past of the exact same groundhogs day of new staffs and other teams backup QBs trying to get that one miracle season. Just do it we have been waiting long enough.

I actually agree with this.....qb is supposed to be one of the strength positions of this draft........I am a firm believer that you take players from strength positions because its about accumulating talent when it comes to the draft.

The qb we need is probably not on the team

We accumulated draft ammo for a reason......

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

To me Lamar Jackson is the same prospect as Deshaun Watson but with better accuracy and less interceptions. I think he should be the #1 pick although I've come around on Mayfield a lot too. Those are my top 2 for sure, then Rosen and Darnold. I have a really bad feeling about the Bills and Josh Allen though. Coming from a team with Can Newton the new regime might see Allen as that guy and that terrifies me.

You think Lamar Jackson is more accurate than Deshaun Watson???

I mean you are entitled to your opinion but I just am not seeing the same thing at all. I don't hate Jackson.... I just don't see a first round Quarterback at this stage. I have a low 2nd / high 3rd on him. The prospect I might more liken him to than Watson is Dak Prescott. 

I am with you on Josh Allen though. If the Bills draft him in the first two rounds let alone in the top 10 I will be mortified. 

36 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s a more polished passer than Watson was at the same point. 

Not for me and to be honest I don't even have it close. 

3 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

I actually agree with this.....qb is supposed to be one of the strength positions of this draft........I am a firm believer that you take players from strength positions because its about accumulating talent when it comes to the draft.

The qb we need is probably not on the team

We accumulated draft ammo for a reason......

....the track record with the QB spot is BELOW abysmal.......however thanks to Pegula's BIG check book, Beane has assembled a formidable (at least on paper) staff.....with 2018 draft capital, they damn well need to produce, but it is not and never will be an exact science....do your homework boyz and roll 'em..............

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean you are entitled to your opinion but I just am not seeing the same thing at all. I don't hate Jackson.... I just don't see a first round Quarterback at this stage. I have a low 2nd / high 3rd on him. The prospect I might more liken him to than Watson is Dak Prescott. 

I am with you on Josh Allen though. If the Bills draft him in the first two rounds let alone in the top 10 I will be mortified. 

....Drafttek said OL/DL or DL/OL in the 1st and Falk in the 2nd (he's disappeared from the radar though)....so would you go OL/DL or DL/OL in the 1st and grab Jackson in the 2nd?..........

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I watched a ton of Watson and liked him a lot.  Watson has NFL talent all over the place with him. Jackson has carried a trash offense by himself.

And yes it is extremely insulting. He is the reigning Heisman winner and a Heisman finalist again. He has one of the best arms in the draft. How come we try to switch positions of every athletic black QB? You even said “like Kaep/Tyrod” who are 2 of the best 30 QBs in the world. ?

It’s 2017, the mobile QB isn’t going away. We are going to see them keep coming in, even the black ones.

Dear God, don't start that bs. It has nothing to do with black or white. Don't pull an ESPN here. There are NUMEROUS Heisman winning QB's that didn't make it in the NFL. If he stays a QB then he won't make it either. Kaep and Tyrod are two of the most mediocre QB's in the world. Maybe none of the white guys playing QB are good enough athletes to make a switch in the NFL to another position? Have you ever thought about that? Tebow could have been a TE, but he said no. Edelman was a QB and made the switch. It's not about white or black, but paint it how ever makes your little heart happy. :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I know where you stand on Watson. I like Watson and loved him in college. I’d say this season that Jackson took that step for me. In addition, me made a handful of throws that no other QB in this class can make (with the exception of Allen who is an enigma). He still has room to grow too. He wouldn’t be my first choice (Rosen) but I wouldn’t hate him at all.

I was taking exception to the suggestion that he is a WR. Nathan Peterman is a heading QB that throws on time and Lamar Jackson is a wide receiver?!? That is not the first time that I have seen that thrown around on here and it is just ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....the track record with the QB spot is BELOW abysmal.......however thanks to Pegula's BIG check book, Beane has assembled a formidable (at least on paper) staff.....with 2018 draft capital, they damn well need to produce, but it is not and never will be an exact science....do your homework boyz and roll 'em..............

....Drafttek said OL/DL or DL/OL in the 1st and Falk in the 2nd (he's disappeared from the radar though)....so would you go OL/DL or DL/OL in the 1st and grab Jackson in the 2nd?..........

If Jackson was there then of course I would. I think he will go a round higher than I have him graded. I see him off the board between about pick 26 and 36. I would not be against the Bills taking Jackson in the 1st at all. We need to stop punting on QBs... but I do think that is a projection pick because if Lamar Jackson is already anywhere near his ceiling then he isn't an NFL Franchise QB.

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Dear God, don't start that bs. It has nothing to do with black or white. Don't pull an ESPN here. There are NUMEROUS Heisman winning QB's that didn't make it in the NFL. If he stays a QB then he won't make it either. Kaep and Tyrod are two of the most mediocre QB's in the world. Maybe none of the white guys playing QB are good enough athletes to make a switch in the NFL to another position? Have you ever thought about that? Tebow could have been a TE, but he said no. Edelman was a QB and made the switch. It's not about white or black, but paint it how ever makes your little heart happy. :thumbsup:

Peterman throws on time and is a heady QB, Jackson is a WR?!? 

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean you are entitled to your opinion but I just am not seeing the same thing at all. I don't hate Jackson.... I just don't see a first round Quarterback at this stage.

I know better than to argue with you about QBs, you know your stuff. That being said a lot of film analysts I follow and trust love Lamar Jackson and think he should go 1st overall. I've been really impressed with what I've seen but I doubt I've watched nearly as much film as you.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If Jackson was there then of course I would. I think he will go a round higher than I have him graded. I see him off the board between about pick 26 and 36. I would not be against the Bills taking Jackson in the 1st at all. We need to stop punting on QBs... but I do think that is a projection pick because if Lamar Jackson is already anywhere near his ceiling then he isn't an NFL Franchise QB.

...and as you know GB, NOBODY has the answer to that....if so, a BUST would never happen..........so you poke, prod, analyze, interview, test, work out all of them, put the names in a hat and draw....

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Nope, this class was thought of as a great QB class and that hasn’t changed. QB is a strength of this draft. There will probably be 3 QBs in the top 5 picks, maybe 4-5 in the top 10. 

Seems to me there also are a lot of teams wanting a QB this year too.

Better hope Jimmy G. plays great for the 49ers in the remaining games.

If not the top 3 QBs could go to Browns, 49ers and Giants.

Not to mention Jets, Cardinals and others.

I think it may not be as easy as some think for us to get in a position to get "our guy".

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I know better than to argue with you about QBs, you know your stuff. That being said a lot of film analysts I follow and trust love Lamar Jackson and think he should go 1st overall. I've been really impressed with what I've seen but I doubt I've watched nearly as much film as you.

Let me be clear I think there is a lot of good on Jackson but there is bad sprinkled in. The reason I make the Dak comparison is I had similar notes on Dak as I have on Jackson. Throws a good deep ball, spotty intermediate range accuracy, inconsistent feet and the ball too often doesn't come out on time. When it all lines up and works in sync there is a lot of good in Jackson's game. And if you could get that consistently then the potential is unlimited. The ceiling is very high and his ability to use his legs is a plus because like for Dak and Deshaun (though he is more of a runner than those two) it will buy him time early in the NFL and allow him to move the chains while he learns to play against NFL defenses. But if is at or close to what he ends up being now then he is a lower end starting NFL QB and that to me is a 2nd round grade not a 1st round grade. 

My full reports will be on here sometime in the new year but that is a snapshot of what I see on Jackson. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and as you know GB, NOBODY has the answer to that....if so, a BUST would never happen..........so you poke, prod, analyze, interview, test, work out all of them, put the names in a hat and draw....

Of course. So you try and find the one you feel best about. I wouldn't hate Jackson - I would hate Allen early - but there are others I would prefer.

Edited by GunnerBill

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Jackson plays in a QB friendly system and is a 57% passer with over 1000 attempts.

His accuracy is pretty marginal.

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Peterman sucks. I am not sure how that is relevant though. 

...c'mon....you're much smarter than that.....the 5th rounder had minis, OTA's, TC and some spot pre-season duty followed by the" thrown to the wolves disaster" in SD and he sucks?.. Jesus, sure glad Peyton didn't start his 3-13 career in Buffalo...think you woulda been his Uber ride to the airport.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...c'mon....you're much smarter than that.....the 5th rounder had minis, OTA's, TC and some spot pre-season duty followed by the" thrown to the wolves disaster" in SD and he sucks?.. Jesus, sure glad Peyton didn't start his 3-13 career in Buffalo...think you woulda been his Uber ride to the airport.........

Oh I thought he sucked way before the LA debacle. If Peterman proves to be a long term NFL Quarterback I will have got him very wrong and my hands will be held up. I had him borderline undraftable.