Is the 2018 QB class highly overrated?

Klaista2k

I don't see moving up if it costs you more than one of your 1st rounds, a 2nd and possibly another latter round. We have too many serious holes to fill at OL, DL, LB and WR. We need to first build an Oline to protect the QB if we get one, or they are doomed to failure.

6 minutes ago, simpleman said:

I don't see moving up if it costs you more than one of your 1st rounds, a 2nd and possibly another latter round. We have too many serious holes to fill at OL, DL, LB and WR. We need to first build an Oline to protect the QB if we get one, or they are doomed to failure.

....ABSOLUTELY agree bud.....MUST play these draft capital cards smart (best position in YEARS)......how 'bout Danny Boy Snyder's ransom for RG II 1/8?....Ditka for Ricky?.....Vikes for Herschel?...or closer to home Donohole for Losman?......

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My numbers are dependent on Darnold coming out. I would say that Rosen, Darnold and Allen/Jackson (someone will love the talent) end up in the top 5 and Baker shortly thereafter. That’s 5 in the first IMO. 

Have you watched Jackson this year? He’s been even better than last year. He’s completing over 60% while staying at 8.7 yards per attempt. His TD to INT is about 5:1. He’s a QB that can move but he’s absolutely a QB.

I have a feeling Lamar Jackson will still be there at our original first pick. Teams are going to miss him like they missed Russell Wilson because they don't learn. Wouldn't surprise me if Josh Allen gets drafted before him, maybe even by the Bills.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I have a feeling Lamar Jackson will still be there at our original first pick. Teams are going to miss him like they missed Russell Wilson because they don't learn. Wouldn't surprise me if Josh Allen gets drafted before him, maybe even by the Bills.

....so is it substance over style or style over substance?.....is it a Jackson/Watson/Wilson type kid that fits?....OR....what a team perceives is the more prototypical NFL ready pocket passer type?......does a spread/shotgun/Air Raid type invoke fear?......other than those questions, I say the whole picture is as clear as mud.....

4 to 6 Qbs could be in contention to be picked in the first round this year.  Darnold and Rosen are the top 2.  Then its personal preference.  Lamar Jackson looks like Mike Vick 2.0.  6-2 220 and will probabaly break the record for fastest combine speed for a Qb and wont be surprised if he grades out as one of the most athletic player in the draft.  With the success of Watson I think Lamar Jackson is def top 10 maybe top 5.  Next is Allen from Wyoming.   unique guy to scout because of decline in production year over year.  People that like him will point to 5 of his skill players from last years team floating around NFL rosters, and this years skill players are not that good.  His frame, Arm strength and mobility will blow away anyone in a workout.  There will be dicussions on who has more potential Jackson or Allen.  I think Allen goes top 15 around the same place Mahomes was drafted.  I expect Mayfield to dominate the TV and media over the next month.  He will win the Heisman and is also making Oklahoma the odds on favorite to win the title.  If he goes through both SEC defenses and beat Georgia an Alabama in stunning fashion he will shoot up the draft board.  I think in interviews he will do very well and come across as fiery not cocky or immature.  He will be talked about as the most accurate passer in the draft but in shorts during workouts will not impress like the others.  Later part of Rd 1 i think a team who missed out on their guy take Mayfield.  The propect that is the hardest to gauge imo is Randolph some sites have him as the top QB others dont have him in the top top 5.  He has the size and the look of a franchise Qb does he have the arm and accuracy?  If he impresses I could see him going after Allen and before Mayfield.  Or he may slip to the end of rd 1 or day 3.  But to say this class has diminished like years past is not true at the least.  

37 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

'Crispy:

....don't see Falk's name on anyone's radar anymore....what happened to the kid to vanish?......had read some decent stuff about him earlier.....

I really liked him early on as well, going back to last year...

First, I think he padded his stats against a lot of weak competition.

Second, he was benched, not once, but twice... this should send up some red flags because he is a senior and seems to be regressing.

Third, he plays in a gimmicky offense where the majority of his throws are bubble screens and throws to the flat...you rarely see NFL type throws (although he has flashed on occasion) and his arm strength is simply average.

Fourth, he wasn’t recruited out of high school...while not always the case, often this could mean that schools don’t necessarily see the potential for greatness.

With regards to intangibles, it appears he may lack the grit, aggressiveness, or moxy I think one needs to succeed at the NFL...every time I’ve watched him he never seems to be enjoying himself and his body language often appears lethargic and indifferent. 

I could honestly see see him going 5th round- UFA

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....so is it substance over style or style over substance?.....is it a Jackson/Watson/Wilson type kid that fits?....OR....what a team perceives is the more prototypical NFL ready pocket passer type?......does a spread/shotgun/Air Raid type invoke fear?......other than those questions, I say the whole picture is as clear as mud.....

To me Lamar Jackson is the same prospect as Deshaun Watson but with better accuracy and less interceptions. I think he should be the #1 pick although I've come around on Mayfield a lot too. Those are my top 2 for sure, then Rosen and Darnold. I have a really bad feeling about the Bills and Josh Allen though. Coming from a team with Can Newton the new regime might see Allen as that guy and that terrifies me.

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My numbers are dependent on Darnold coming out. I would say that Rosen, Darnold and Allen/Jackson (someone will love the talent) end up in the top 5 and Baker shortly thereafter. That’s 5 in the first IMO. 

Have you watched Jackson this year? He’s been even better than last year. He’s completing over 60% while staying at 8.7 yards per attempt. His TD to INT is about 5:1. He’s a QB that can move but he’s absolutely a QB.

Yes, I have absolutely watched Jackson this year and last year. He's not an NFL QB, he's just an exceptional athlete. He is not the new Deshaun Watson by any means. Don't get it twisted. You can spit whatever stats you want, but I hope to God that he is not anywhere on our list of QB's we are looking at. It would be like drafting a Kaep/Tyrod clone with worse accuracy. No thanks. 

4 hours ago, H2o said:

Rosen or Darnold will be the first QB taken if they both come out. The other will be the 2nd. I still think Darnold should head back to school for another year, and he might, but the $$$ is enticing for a 20 year old. Mayfield will be the 3rd QB. Allen's stock has dropped, but Wyoming isn't exactly chocked full of talent around him. He has great athleticism, a great arm, but the questions about him revolve around his consistency. Is that due to the lack of talent around him? Maybe, maybe not. Lamar Jackson is NOT going to make it as a QB in the NFL. He's not. He's a great athlete who's future lies likely at WR. The much vaunted class doesn't look quite as deep as before, but there are still 3 or 4 guys who have the potential to be the answer for some franchise. 

It will be very interesting to see what he does. He should be a wealthy man regardless, but one extra year on the back end of his career could be worth north of $30 million. That’s a mountain of cash to leave on the table. 

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

Yes, I have absolutely watched Jackson this year and last year. He's not an NFL QB, he's just an exceptional athlete. He is not the new Deshaun Watson by any means. Don't get it twisted. You can spit whatever stats you want, but I hope to God that he is not anywhere on our list of QB's we are looking at. It would be like drafting a Kaep/Tyrod clone with worse accuracy. No thanks. 

Why isn’t he like Watson? He’s a more polished passer than Watson was at the same point and he’s absolutely a better athlete. I don’t think Jackson makes it to the Bills pick. People calling him a WR is beyond insulting. 

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

To me Lamar Jackson is the same prospect as Deshaun Watson but with better accuracy and less interceptions. I think he should be the #1 pick although I've come around on Mayfield a lot too. Those are my top 2 for sure, then Rosen and Darnold. I have a really bad feeling about the Bills and Josh Allen though. Coming from a team with Can Newton the new regime might see Allen as that guy and that terrifies me.

Intersting take with the Carolina connection.  I think Allen does posses the most potential and upside.  Probably the least pro ready so a Vet Qb would need to be on the roster.  Lamar Jackson may intrigue them with his abilities much like cam.  Jackson has a cannon as well.  

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Why isn’t he like Watson? He’s a more polished passer than Watson was at the same point and he’s absolutely a better athlete. I don’t think Jackson makes it to the Bills pick. People calling him a WR is beyond insulting. 

You can't be serious? A more polished passer than Watson? :lol: Did you EVER watch Watson play? Watson had that "it" factor and could throw the ball all over the field from day one. It's not insulting by any means to think his position lies elsewhere in the NFL. If anything, it speaks volumes about the overall talent of an athlete he is. He will not make it as a QB in the NFL. 

Just now, H2o said:

You can't be serious? A more polished passer than Watson? :lol: Did you EVER watch Watson play? Watson had that "it" factor and could throw the ball all over the field from day one. It's not insulting by any means to think his position lies elsewhere in the NFL. If anything, it speaks volumes about the overall talent of an athlete he is. He will not make it as a QB in the NFL. 

I watched a ton of Watson and liked him a lot.  Watson has NFL talent all over the place with him. Jackson has carried a trash offense by himself.

And yes it is extremely insulting. He is the reigning Heisman winner and a Heisman finalist again. He has one of the best arms in the draft. How come we try to switch positions of every athletic black QB? You even said “like Kaep/Tyrod” who are 2 of the best 30 QBs in the world. ?

It’s 2017, the mobile QB isn’t going away. We are going to see them keep coming in, even the black ones.

• Like (+1) 2

Living here in Kentucky I have seen a lot of Jackson. His OL is bad, running game is average to below average and somehow he still is able to get the job done. Without him Louisville wins maybe five games each of the last two years. The one thing I have seen that concerns me is his balls will sometimes sail on him, my thought being he is too excited but that is a short term concern. 

I would love to pick him up with our first pick but I think once scouts talk to him and see him throw without having to run for his life he will move up boards and be gone top ten.

31 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I really liked him early on as well, going back to last year...

First, I think he padded his stats against a lot of weak competition.

Second, he was benched, not once, but twice... this should send up some red flags because he is a senior and seems to be regressing.

Third, he plays in a gimmicky offense where the majority of his throws are bubble screens and throws to the flat...you rarely see NFL type throws (although he has flashed on occasion) and his arm strength is simply average.

Fourth, he wasn’t recruited out of high school...while not always the case, often this could mean that schools don’t necessarily see the potential for greatness.

With regards to intangibles, it appears he may lack the grit, aggressiveness, or moxy I think one needs to succeed at the NFL...every time I’ve watched him he never seems to be enjoying himself and his body language often appears lethargic and indifferent. 

I could honestly see see him going 5th round- UFA

...thanks bud....appreciate the insight......:thumbsup: