Is the 2018 QB class highly overrated?

Klaista2k

Remember before the season everyone was saying how the 2018 QB class was going to be one of the best in a very long time?

Let's take a look at it now.

Sam Darnold- It looks like he may be going back to college?

Josh Rosen- Probably the best QB in the class but I'm seeing a lot of Cutler comparisons.

Baker Mayfield- He's undersized, not every athletic, and some character issues.

Josh Allen- This guy has fallen off big time. Won't even be a 1st or 2nd round pick. No Thanks.

There you have it. This once "promising" QB class looks completely underwhelming. 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Nope, this class was thought of as a great QB class and that hasn’t changed. QB is a strength of this draft. There will probably be 3 QBs in the top 5 picks, maybe 4-5 in the top 10. 

I think you are a bit high with 4 in the top 10, but I agree it has not changed much.  If Darnold come out - I think you have 3 in the top 10 and 5 overall in round 1 with Jackson.  They do tend to be overdrafted though - so maybe.

If Darnold stays it lessens the class,  but I still think you get 3 in the top 15 and 4 overall. 

Rosen or Darnold will be the first QB taken if they both come out. The other will be the 2nd. I still think Darnold should head back to school for another year, and he might, but the $$$ is enticing for a 20 year old. Mayfield will be the 3rd QB. Allen's stock has dropped, but Wyoming isn't exactly chocked full of talent around him. He has great athleticism, a great arm, but the questions about him revolve around his consistency. Is that due to the lack of talent around him? Maybe, maybe not. Lamar Jackson is NOT going to make it as a QB in the NFL. He's not. He's a great athlete who's future lies likely at WR. The much vaunted class doesn't look quite as deep as before, but there are still 3 or 4 guys who have the potential to be the answer for some franchise. 

10 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think you are a bit high with 4 in the top 10, but I agree it has not changed much.  If Darnold come out - I think you have 3 in the top 10 and 5 overall in round 1 with Jackson.  They do tend to be overdrafted though - so maybe.

If Darnold stays it lessens the class,  but I still think you get 3 in the top 15 and 4 overall. 

My numbers are dependent on Darnold coming out. I would say that Rosen, Darnold and Allen/Jackson (someone will love the talent) end up in the top 5 and Baker shortly thereafter. That’s 5 in the first IMO. 

7 minutes ago, H2o said:

Rosen or Darnold will be the first QB taken if they both come out. The other will be the 2nd. I still think Darnold should head back to school for another year, and he might, but the $$$ is enticing for a 20 year old. Mayfield will be the 3rd QB. Allen's stock has dropped, but Wyoming isn't exactly chocked full of talent around him. He has great athleticism, a great arm, but the questions about him revolve around his consistency. Is that due to the lack of talent around him? Maybe, maybe not. Lamar Jackson is NOT going to make it as a QB in the NFL. He's not. He's a great athlete who's future lies likely at WR. The much vaunted class doesn't look quite as deep as before, but there are still 3 or 4 guys who have the potential to be the answer for some franchise. 

Have you watched Jackson this year? He’s been even better than last year. He’s completing over 60% while staying at 8.7 yards per attempt. His TD to INT is about 5:1. He’s a QB that can move but he’s absolutely a QB.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BobDVA said:

Unless we have a shot without trading down for Darnold, I do not want any of them.  The Draft a QB no matter what people are the same that led us to Manuel.

I don’t disagree that strategy rarely works but there could be up to 10 QBs in this draft graded higher than Manuel. It isn’t the same.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t disagree that strategy rarely works but there could be up to 10 QBs in this draft graded higher than Manuel. It isn’t the same.

I certainly hope you are right KJ....

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

No, because if you follow the draft enough you know this happens every year.  Next year is always the better class until its not.

IMO you cant decide if a class is over or underrated until the players start some games in the NFL.

I agree.  And that doesn’t even factor in failures of QBs due to poor development by teams.  It is always interesting to see these things play out.  

This is the class we need to swing big on at QB. They always wait or try to build first and wait on drafting one or with EJ move back and then grab one.

Problem is it lessens the chance of hitting on one. If there is any QB class to swing on it's this one. Fans have been waiting too long, if they do not swing this time this team is never going to get out of the longest playoffless hole in all of sports and fans are just going to end up jumping over the falls wondering why this team never buys a lottery QB ticket. If you never buy a ticket you will never win. Sadly for Tyrod it is why the bridge idea is dead with most fans, IMO we are all ready to jump.

Just do it, if you strike gold the dynasty starts if not you buy another ticket. If they keep avoiding going for one another decade will past of the exact same groundhogs day of new staffs and other teams backup QBs trying to get that one miracle season. Just do it we have been waiting long enough.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Asinine

Right on man. If I am not mistaken they moved back before drafting EJ because that class was not a good QB class but Bills were so desperate to draft one while also getting a bargan to get a extra pick. This class is not a EJ class IMO.

We have the picks, move up to get the guy they want to build around not move back in hopes one falls. Getting stuck with what is left is so Billsy. Win something for once and go get one of the top dogs.

Edited by xRUSHx

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Nope, this class was thought of as a great QB class and that hasn’t changed. QB is a strength of this draft. There will probably be 3 QBs in the top 5 picks, maybe 4-5 in the top 10. 

These guys are not guys that stick out though IMO.  All of them have some concerns.  Some major.  I'm not a fan of the QB's in this class especially with Dennison as the play caller.  I like the defense in this class though.

Edited by NewEraBills

4 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

These guys are not guys that stick out though IMO.  All of them have some concerns.  Some major.  I'm not a fan of the QB's in this class especially with Dennison as the play caller.  I like the defense in this class though.

If you keep waiting around for the perfect QB then you will never draft one. Pretty much every QB will have concerns with their game. What’s important is whether he gets put into a good situation to allow development. With Dennison I question that but I do think we should draft one of these guys high if the opportunity presents itself.

• Like (+1) 1