Angels sign Japanese Phenom

Buffalo716

shohei otani ,the Japanese Phenon who has been called the Japanese Babe Ruth will be suiting up in the Majors

The 23 year old star can crank it up to 100mph on the mound and hit blistering homeruns

good luck to the kid. He is the most interesting prospect in a while

2 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

How well do these foreign players translate to MLB?

I'm assuming that baseball has a smaller learning curve than basketball or football.

It's hit and miss.

they play a different style of baseball over there. It's baseball none the less but a different style

Some pitchers like Yu Darvish and Tanaka have had good success . It's because they can throw 93-95 with very good off speed pitches

Batters like Ichiro have transcended the game. He is a first ballot HoF easily while Hideki Matsui turned into the greatest Japanese MLB power hitter

its prolly around a 50-50 success / fail ratio

Japanese pitchers are known for their long wind ups and good breaking balls which can be hard to time up

7 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I thought he would go to a NL team so he could hit every outing.  I wonder how frequently the Angels will let him DH?

Dang.  I was hoping NYY would get him :angry:

Apparently he DID NOT want to go to the NYY

:(

34 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

He didn't want to play on the east coast.

19 times my Rangers now face him each year he's there.

Disappointed his choice wasn't my Rangers yet him pitching for the Rangers wouldn't have solved all their problems.

I also heard that he wanted to play on the same team as Yu Darvish (one of his closest friends) who is currently a FA.

• 3 months later...

I grew up an Angel's fan. Been keeping an aye on his progress, and he didn't look good during spring training, but now that the real season is on, so is Ohtani. Homered In his first home at bat last  night in a 13-2 victory over the Tribe. Pitched very well in his first start against the A's. Maybe the moniker as the Japanese Babe Ruth isn't so far off.

Dick Enberg was the long time Angel's play-by-play announcer, and I am sure, after that HR, he would've exclaimed,, "Oh My Ohtani!"

Man this kid has started out with bang. Besides the hot bat, he had a perfect game going through 6 yesterday.  Left after 7 with a one-hit shut out going.  The Angels are finally relevant gain.

On 4/4/2018 at 6:23 AM, TPS said:

I grew up an Angel's fan. Been keeping an aye on his progress, and he didn't look good during spring training, but now that the real season is on, so is Ohtani. Homered In his first home at bat last  night in a 13-2 victory over the Tribe. Pitched very well in his first start against the A's. Maybe the moniker as the Japanese Babe Ruth isn't so far off.

Dick Enberg was the long time Angel's play-by-play announcer, and I am sure, after that HR, he would've exclaimed,, "Oh My Ohtani!"

On 4/9/2018 at 4:01 PM, TPS said:

Man this kid has started out with bang. Besides the hot bat, he had a perfect game going through 6 yesterday.  Left after 7 with a one-hit shut out going.  The Angels are finally relevant gain.

Saw him bat in Goodyear during Spring Training (Kluber threw 5 innings of 1 hit ball). Ohtani did not look good at all at the plate. He did take one on the toe for the team.
Needless to say he has been lights out in the regular season so far.

Edited by Uncle Joe

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

Missed his start due to weather yesterday, he was only going Sundays and now 9 days between?

So he won't work in Boston?

I think he will pitch the first game tomorrow. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...