Was Doug Whaley the Browns Rooney Rule Interview for GM?

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They did it over lunch with Doug----they put in the winning bid!

As for "Whaley never got to pick his now coach"...this gets endlessly repeated, but is there any reporting that says Pegula vetoed Hue Jackson?

And I'll just say that if Hue was Doug's first pick,  that's even worse than Rex.  He's 1-27.  He has won a single game in the NFL the past two seasons!  That's nearly impossible.  Every human alive could have only one 1 game worse coaching the Browns than Jackson.

An awful choice.

....still don't get the hype and infatuation with Jackson or even McCoy for that matter........guess I missed the memo about their track records..........

1 hour ago, Big Curt said:

I'm not saying finding a QB is easy.  The fact that he struck out on EJ and gave up a 1st rounder for Sammy Watkins was his down fall.  Finding a franchise QB is the hardest thing  to find in sports. 

Trading for a WR was dumb. He didn't do enough to try and find a QB. All facts. I agree. 

5 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Trading for a WR was dumb. He didn't do enough to try and find a QB. All facts. I agree. 

....who would have been your recommendations without relying on today's results as in a Case Keenum type "outta no where epiphany"??...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

5 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

Is it just me or does the Rooney rule not seem condescending? 

It is. I get the theory behind it, but it is condescending to give someone a token interview solely because they're a minority.

The NFL would hate me as an owner. I would interview some Asian grandmother as my Rooney Rule interview, then get into the real interviews of qualified candidates (regardless of what race they are.)

2 hours ago, yungmack said:

Didn't build for the future? Good Lord Almighty, look at the picks he made -- many of them now playing well for teams across the league -- and how they fit. He also put together a stellar scouting staff that was particularly adept at finding pros from other teams who fit in quite well. Whaley was hit with two coaches, Marrone and Ryan, who were either stubborn, belligerent or, in Wrecks case, lazy, who did either did not properly use the talent he gave them or demanded the Bills sign their dregs (Rex's Jets mafia) and use the precious draft picks on "their kind of player."

Whaley had the misfortune of having an aged and sick owner followed by a tentative newbie owner. I would like to see how he'd have done had both the Wilson Mafia and the Pegs said, "You're in charge completely, you're our football czar." I suspect this whole thing would have worked out far, far better and we'd now be confidently discussing how far into the post season the 2017 Bills would be going.

I'm not saying his picks were bad.  He missed on drafts and hit on free agency.  Ultimately, QB, Cap issues, overspending on Sammy Watkins and missing the playoffs cost him his job.  I'm a fan of the rosters he put together.  Look at what talent looks like compared to the lack of talent we have know.   

Edited by Big Curt
spelling error

43 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

It is. I get the theory behind it, but it is condescending to give someone a token interview solely because they're a minority.

The NFL would hate me as an owner. I would interview some Asian grandmother as my Rooney Rule interview, then get into the real interviews of qualified candidates (regardless of what race they are.)

I mean, to me if you have a racist owner.  They are probably not going to hire a minority person anyways and in the end they are the ones hurting themselves if they are passing over the best because they are intentionally doing it.

7 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Yeah, he has a good eye for talent. He's a good scout. That doesn't mean he's a good GM. He didn't work his way up the front office ladder in Pittsburgh because he was clueless. Steelers are one of the most well-run organizations in all of sports. That's why I was excited when they hired Whaley. I figured he'd bring to Buffalo what he learned in Pittsburgh and I'm sure he tried it just never worked.

He absolutely nailed the Hughes trade because the player they gave up was Kelvin Sheppard who has since bounced around to a bunch of different teams, mostly in back-up/special teams roles. In fact I think the Bills see him this Sunday as he's on the Colts now.

Alonso for McCoy, yeah, no brainer. 

He didn't draft Dareus, Nix did, and it was the right pick at that time. Nobody complained when Dareus received his extension because he had just come off excellent seasons in 2013 and 2014. He was starting to turn the corner and show that he could be a truly dominant DT. Now had they not extended him, this fan base would have been livid. "There goes another one of our best players! Walks away and we get nothing!" So with that logic, he really can't win either way, can he? Sign him and it's a mistake. Don't sign him, also a mistake. For years fans whined endlessly about how this team consistently would not re-sign key players. Once they started doing that, everyone starts going, "No no, not that way, not that guy!" Can't win.

Dareus fizzled out here because he was stuck in a scheme for two years that didn't suit him. He's in Jacksonville now, playing well as part of one of the top defenses in the league. 

The Watkins trade in hindsight doesn't look great, but before that, fans were constantly upset that no Bills GM would make any moves during draft day. Nix wouldn't budge on his picks. The super-duo of Marv and Russ were clueless so they didn't bounce around in the draft. There weren't any player for player or player for picks trades. People be like, "They need to make moves if they wanna win! They need to take risks and be bold!" So Whaley comes in and he's almost a polar opposite of Nix and Marv/Russ. He swings trades, he keeps the phone lines open, he makes bold moves. He does what fans had been calling for a Bills front office to do for years. What's he get for it? Crapped on. 

Whaley did find some street FAs that happened to play really well, Gillislee for instance. And Justin Hunter last season was a nice addition. 

So let's not act as though the man came in and was a trainwreck from the start. He was able to retain guys like Dareus, Hughes and Glenn at a time when it seemed those players were gonna be cornerstones for the franchise (think around 2014). Had those guys left, fans would've wanted him fired for not signing them. He signs them, they still want him fired. 

And look around the league right now, there are a number of former Bills, drafted or signed by Whaley who are doing pretty well with their new teams. Woods has been balling in LA. Watkins is finally coming around. Robey-Coleman is also out there and is their starting nickel CB. Chris Hogan has an important role in NE. Like I said, a good eye for talent but was never very good at team chemistry and finding the right types of players for the locker room. Is what it is.

What exactly can any of these executives or coaches do to truly appease this fan base? Cause absolutely NOTHING is ever good enough. I swear, this team is gonna win the Super Bowl one day and during the parade there's gonna be a truckload of fans screaming about how McD (or whoever is coach by then) mismanaged his time outs or how he should've challenged that one play. "Yeah, they won the Super Bowl, but NOT IN THE WAY I WANTED!"

And what are your contingency plans for when you start screaming for coaches and executives to be fired? "Hire this guy here, I know he's good, I read an article and heard a guy talk about him on NFL Network, he is the best ever!" 

We all get it. 17 years of suck, well, sucks. We're impatient. But for cripes sake, if anyone thinks constantly hitting the reset button every other season is going to fix this team, you're wrong. Doing that will only keep them in the cycle of suck for even longer. 

I hate to burst your bubble, but Doug Whaley ran very very lousy draft.   He ran three drafts which netted ZERO Pro Bowl players.  You can't do that in the NFL - that's how you get fired and that is the primary reason why Doug was fired.  Good riddance.

6 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....still don't get the hype and infatuation with Jackson or even McCoy for that matter........guess I missed the memo about their track records..........

I think the thing I liked about Hue was that he wanted to keep the Schwartz as his DC and that Hue was an offense kinda guy.

We'll never know if I was right or wrong but it sure as hell would've been better than Wrex.

10 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I think it's a good rule to have in place, but it's a joke when it's met in this manner. 

If you fire someone day one, and immediately hire their replacement in 8 hours, what kind of interview process did you really go through? 

It does not take 20 minutes to interview an executive to run a football club. 

Then again, this is the dumpster fire masquerading as the Cleveland Browns, so I guess they should defy reason. 

My opinion is that the Browns had already talked to Dorsey and had an agreement before they fired Brown.

This franchise is a joke, all this talk about analytics and moneyball and now they are moving in another direction.

Run Whaley run! (If you go there it will be the end of your NFL career forever)

20 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Whaley = great scout, but not a great team builder. He has a good eye for talent, I just don't think his philosophy of drafting guys from big time/winning programs and expecting those young guys to carry that winning tradition over into the NFL.

Except at QB

On 12/8/2017 at 12:41 PM, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Rex Ryan hire killed everything for Whaley. IMO

Agreed.  It may have ended differently for Whaley if Rex was never hired.  IMO I think it would have ended better for Whaley without Rex.  Also, I still believe in Whaley.  But, it wasn't going to work out here AFTER SM was hired for Whaley.

2 hours ago, Manther said:

Agreed.  It may have ended differently for Whaley if Rex was never hired.  IMO I think it would have ended better for Whaley without Rex.  Also, I still believe in Whaley.  But, it wasn't going to work out here AFTER SM was hired for Whaley.

All he had to tell Pegula was "don't hire Ryan.  He's a disaster."  He was a brand new owner making his first big decision.  

He didn't say that.  The opposite actually...

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

All he had to tell Pegula was "don't hire Ryan.  He's a disaster."  He was a brand new owner making his first big decision.  

He didn't say that.  The opposite actually...

....Wrecks was Brandon's doing......as I said in another post, I saw his text to his friends that I know which said, "so what do you think?"......vomited in my car seat......remember that season tix surpassed 60,000 which is a pretty good indicator who the culprit was..........

"With new ownership and the offseason addition of Rex Ryan and a slew of offensive talent, the Bills have surpassed 60,000 season ticket sales for the first time in team history. The Bills had previously surpassed the record for season ticket sales but are now at 60,102 season tickets for the 2015 season. "

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....Wrecks was Brandon's doing......as I said in another post, I saw his text to his friends that I know which said, "so what do you think?"......vomited in my car seat......remember that season tix surpassed 60,000 which is a pretty good indicator who the culprit was..........

I'm sure Brandon was happy.  But Whaley was all in.

If he wasn't, he had no business being a GM.  Useless..