Was Doug Whaley the Browns Rooney Rule Interview for GM?

19 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Whaley = great scout, but not a great team builder. He has a good eye for talent, I just don't think his philosophy of drafting guys from big time/winning programs and expecting those young guys to carry that winning tradition over into the NFL.

Wish we knew his involvement in the Rex Ryan hire. The Bills were very loaded talent wise, one of the most talented in the NFL under Whaley .

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

I would have loved to see what dealer Doug would have done with all those picks. It would have been epic dealing.

It would have been fun to watch!! Given the current situation.

Just my opinion: Whaley would have stayed at 10 and taken Watson or given his history traded up for Watson (for what and how much? I don't know), whom he supposedly liked a lot. Say he stays at 10 and takes Watson as his "off the bus starter" at QB and the Bills have their "franchise QB", the rest of the 2017 draft plays out as it would (who knows), the 2018 draft rolls around and the Bills have only their natural selections, Watkins, Dareus and Darby are not traded presumably, "dealer Doug" goes into the 2018 draft with a lot of flexibility but less picks, still epic? Hypothetical I know...

I don't see how anyone can properly grade Whaley's performance as GM, he never got to pick his coach, and he was grocery shopping for several different systems.  He has a nose for talent.  I believe he will get another chance someday and it will be the right chance where he gets to call the ball, and we will be sorry.

Much like Kansas City is going to be sorry when Dorsey turns the Browns into a winner.

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Wish we knew his involvement in the Rex Ryan hire. The Bills were very loaded talent wise, one of the most talented in the NFL under Whaley .

I thought the Pegula's overruled over Doug on the Rex hire.

13 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

Is it just me or does the Rooney rule not seem condescending? 

I think it's a good rule to have in place, but it's a joke when it's met in this manner. 

If you fire someone day one, and immediately hire their replacement in 8 hours, what kind of interview process did you really go through? 

It does not take 20 minutes to interview an executive to run a football club. 

Then again, this is the dumpster fire masquerading as the Cleveland Browns, so I guess they should defy reason. 

Whaley will be back in the league in February.  This shows he still has the desire to be.  It will not be as a GM though.  

7 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I thought the Pegula's overruled over Doug on the Rex hire.

They went against his recommended number 1 choice..... who interestingly enough would have been his Head Coach if he got the Cleveland job.  

I believe Doug Whaley has a great eye for talent and is a great scout.  He wasn't a great GM because he was so concerned with ending the playoff drought that he didn't "build for the future".  A GM has to look 5 to 10 years down the road and not put a Band-Aid on the team.   If you look at the talent that was traded away or let go in free agency, you see these players are top contributors on their new teams.  I think many Bills fans have condemned this man and not given him enough praise for the job he did.  The Bills had more talent under his watch then we've had in many years.   His lack of finding a QB and giving up too much for Sammy Watkins as well as trying to pay for all his high priced talent in the rush to end the drought was his downfall.  I think he learned his lesson and will make a great GM one day. To answer the question.  Yes.  This was the Rooney rule in effect and it sucks to be the "token minority" when there's no legitimate chance of being hired. 

Edited by Big Curt
Added more info to previous post.