Was Doug Whaley the Browns Rooney Rule Interview for GM?

On 2017-12-10 at 12:21 PM, Mr. WEO said:

All he had to tell Pegula was "don't hire Ryan.  He's a disaster."  He was a brand new owner making his first big decision.  

He didn't say that.  The opposite actually...

I can't disagree.  I would guess and seems how it went down.

I think Whaley was a decent GM . He definitely has a really good eye for talent but his down fall was more the HC's & ownership !

He was asked (after ownership hired the coaches) by said coach to get certain players to match the schemes that that coach wanted to implement which he did, but by the owners (or Brandon) pushing for what he thought was a good coaching hire  (Marrone then Rex)  screwed the pooch being Whaley .

Whaley #1 fault backing Brandon as to who to hire as coach !! Then giving the coach what he needed was his down fall .

I would think if you have a team full of players that fit a 4/3 scheme on defense that was doing as well as they were when Morrone left or a offensive blocking scheme that had the team in the top 5 rushing for 2 seasons (with Rex/Lynn) the GM/ownership would think to either hire coaches with schemes that played closer to the players abilities in stead of hiring a coach (Rex) that employed a 3/4 D that totally goes against the roster .

Thats like having a business that is doing really well & revamping it every 2 years because someone doesn't have a clue (Brandon) or is just going along for the ride .

Whaley should have (being the football guy he is) stood up for keeping continuity with what was being built previously when it came to hiring a coach that had a similar scheme background to better match the roster that they had been building . Those coaches being Shwartz or Lynn which last i checked have their new teams playing pretty good & most likely going to the play offs .

I think if either of those coaches would have stayed & been elevated to HC the Bills play off drought would be over by now or fixing to be over . Not that i don't like the McDermott hire i just hope they give him time to do what he needs to build a winner .

But what do we know were just fans ...:huh:

23 hours ago, T master said:

I would think if you have a team full of players that fit a 4/3 scheme on defense that was doing as well as they were when Morrone left or a offensive blocking scheme that had the team in the top 5 rushing for 2 seasons (with Rex/Lynn) the GM/ownership would think to either hire coaches with schemes that played closer to the players abilities in stead of hiring a coach (Rex) that employed a 3/4 D that totally goes against the roster .

I'm sure Whaley understood this, but doubt Russ Brandon and the Pegulas did.  In the end, Whaley was outvoted and overridden.  We're still paying the price for the Rex hire.