Just how bad is our O this year?

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I looked at those numbers and I don't know what to tell everyone complaining here except that 4.2 YPA is =11th in the NFL right now. I'd call that 'above average'.

Sure...if we had maybe a WR or 2 who might crack 500 yards for the year, that might just be good enough.

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I looked at those numbers and I don't know what to tell everyone complaining here except that 4.2 YPA is =11th in the NFL right now. I'd call that 'above average'.

that's because other than the  Brady's and Brees' every one else is average.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

9 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Not really sure what you are getting at. The only thing I've ever said is Tyrod is the best QB on the roster and don't dump him until you find better. 

If they don't find better that's not any fans fault. Not sure why you are coming into the threads all aggressive towards people. 

Guilty conscience?    

I was talking to Scott law.   

Are we not allowed to mock the cot crew?  

You guys spent the whole offseason making excuses and attacking anyone who had an original thought about our flawed qb. 

These are the repercussions for all the ear beatings.       

You wanted him back, boom he’s back and just as terrible as ever. 

Shady couldn’t carry him again. ??‍♂️

Edited by Air it out Fitzy

2 hours ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

This was the game I had circled on my calendar when Peterman was supposed to start. Not on the road against the Chargers who have a great pass rush. Our line is not capable of having a pocket passer against that kind of a dline. This was a game I thought would be a nice transition into the Pros for a rookie. This mishandling of Peterman is exactly what I was afraid of letting him get his confidence trounced. Hopefully the kid can recover and be serviceable the rest of the year. 

He doesn't have what it takes if he's the kind of guy that let's his first start affect him. Lots of quarterbacks have had horrible starts. I don't think there's such thing as mishandling a quarterback over the course of a season. If he spends an entire career with an offense like this, then yeah, he's mishandled.

The real issue with the offense is that the passing game is not as efficient as it was in 2015 which places a much bigger burden on the rushing attack. Specifically, Taylor has not been able to keep pace, efficiency wise, his steady increase in attempts/game each year with the per-use rates the passing game enjoyed his first year in Buffalo. I don't think that's surprising but some others might, especially the ones who kept arguing that he was so efficient we should just have him throw the ball more...which kinda misses the point about efficient players and what often happens when their usage is adjusted. Note:

2015: Taylor averaged 27.1 attempts/game and his ANY/A was 7.10. That's a great rate, good for 9th in the league that year.

2016: Taylor averaged 29 attempts/game and his ANY/A was 6.07. 18th in the league. Attempts go up, play goes down. Not hard to predict.

2017: Taylor is averaging 29.6 attempts/game and his ANY/A is 5.45. 25th in the NFL. 

Keep in mind that 29.6 attempts a game is at the very bottom of the NFL to begin with...only the Trubisky-led Bears average fewer. Our offense is bad not because of an above average running game, but because our passing attack is led by a quarterback who cannot maintain his efficiency rates when asked to shoulder a very modest increase of the overall offensive burden. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Air it out Fitzy said:

Guilty conscience?    

I was talking to Scott law.   

Are we not allowed to mock the cot crew?  

You guys spent the whole offseason making excuses and attacking anyone who had an original thought about our flawed qb. 

These are the repercussions for all the ear beatings.       

You wanted him back, boom he’s back and just as terrible as ever. 

Shady couldn’t carry him again. ??‍♂️

Guilty conscience over what?  Being a Bills fan?

You quoted me not Scott law.

I guess you could.  Its kind of childish.

Who are "you guys"

Repercussions for being a Bills fan is watching the team lose year after year.

And still better than a lot.  I wanted him back for as long as it takes them to find someone better.

Ok.

7 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Very bad. Very very bad. The difference between this year and the last two is that we can't run the football and we can't throw downfield. 

.....other than those two minor points, I think we're in pretty good shape offensively..............

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

He doesn't have what it takes if he's the kind of guy that let's his first start affect him. Lots of quarterbacks have had horrible starts. I don't think there's such thing as mishandling a quarterback over the course of a season. If he spends an entire career with an offense like this, then yeah, he's mishandled.

By mishandling I meant putting him into a position with a low chance of success. I don't think the team wanted Peterman in because of how well liked Tyrod is in the locker room and in re-watching allot of the tape it seemed like the team wasn't playing for him or even trying to block. I'm not saying had the line and other players stepped up and played well that the game would of ended any differently. I don't think starting Tyrod we win that game anyways. The Chargers are on fire right now on offense and defense. Keenan Allen looks all but un-coverable at this point. It just seems like common sense to me that a coach would understand that you don't start a rookie qb in a west coast game against a great pass rush for his first start. 

On 12/8/2017 at 7:59 AM, Scott7975 said:

Very bad. Very very bad. The difference between this year and the last two is that we can't run the football and we can't throw downfield. 

"Other than THAT, Mrs Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

On 12/8/2017 at 7:52 AM, ProcessTheTrust said:

I would call it anemic but that would be giving it too much credit. 12 games in. Look at these numbers. I know we like to debate if it's Tyrod or Rico to blame. It's both. I have no clue if Peterman will even be a serviceable back up someday. I do know this draft we do whatever it takes to get a top 3 QB and Rico won't be his OC day one.

anemic.PNG

I am concerned we will indeed see Dennison back next year.  Remember 2010 when our D blew chunks and we were all "surely George Edwards won't be DC next year" then it was 2011 DC: George Edwards.

Blame goes much further than Tyrod or Rico.  Parting with all serviceable wide receivers and failing to find adequate replacements.  Parting with Gilleslee and failing to find adequate replacements.  Counting on whoever they were counting on to run a servicable the OL - Castillo?  Dawkins?  Ducasse? 

What bothers me is the concerns it raises about the level of talent scouting/player evaluation currently in the building.  We need to draft a QB, but it needs to be the right QB.  Do these guys have the talent evaluation chops to make that happen?

On 12/9/2017 at 10:30 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"Other than THAT, Mrs Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

I am concerned we will indeed see Dennison back next year.  Remember 2010 when our D blew chunks and we were all "surely George Edwards won't be DC next year" then it was 2011 DC: George Edwards.

Blame goes much further than Tyrod or Rico.  Parting with all serviceable wide receivers and failing to find adequate replacements.  Parting with Gilleslee and failing to find adequate replacements.  Counting on whoever they were counting on to run a servicable the OL - Castillo?  Dawkins?  Ducasse? 

What bothers me is the concerns it raises about the level of talent scouting/player evaluation currently in the building.  We need to draft a QB, but it needs to be the right QB.  Do these guys have the talent evaluation chops to make that happen?

I think we hired a lot of scouts after the draft.  My impression was many of them are considered quality football minds.  The litany of errors you dilineate, however, does give one pause.  I am not at all sold on the acumen of this regime.  My view is Dennison and Castillo should go.  I don't see a young, potential franchise qb doing well here with them in place, but I'm by no means an expert.  Just old and watched a lot of football over the years.