Why didn't the Bills lose as EXPECTED in 2017?

Punt75

30 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

1. The secondary played much much better than anyone expected.

2. TT is better than people on this board give him credit.  Not turning over the ball gives you the chance to win

3. They got lucky with injuries to Julio Jones and some timely turnovers

4. For a while they played with much greater discipline than they every did under Ryan

5. The fans and media know much less about football than we think we do

6. No NFL player or team tanks.  They don't have guaranteed contracts. Every snap is on film.  The players need to compete at a high level to get paid.

7. People need to stop analyzing the schedule.  There is no way to project what teams will be good or bad.

8. The 2016 team was an 11 win team hobbled by injuries at WR and an antiquated defensive scheme coached by two buffoons

Concur

would add

Hauschka nailing 50 yarders

2017 Draft Picks exceeding expectations

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

The defense was getting a lot of turnovers off of a) very bad teams and b) very lucky tips and bounces.

The luck ran out.

I love how when our guys get turn overs it's because of luck.  :)

I didn't expect 4 wins. Those that did are BBFS sufferers probably.  We were 7-9 with a train wreck for a staff. I expected better this year and we may get it.  This speaks to a coach being able to get his players to play hard, smart, and well most of the time.  That's a good thing.

Edited by reddogblitz

4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You're right ... these Bills should have had no expectation that they'd be at 6-6. But I'm not sure that's so good long term.

As to which returning players have trade value?  The answer is none. That's ... really bad.  I suppose you might get a 7th rounder or something for Adolphus. But most of them you literally couldn't give away. Their salaries are greater than their value.

EDIT: you missed Shaq Lawson (probably because he missed most of last year himself).  He'd have some trade value. Probably a 4th rounder or so like Ragland.

The Bills should have no expectations?...........how about the fans should have no expectations?

That's how I sleep at night.

In today's nfl there is very little difference between 4-12 and 8-8

But a world of difference between 8-8 and 11-5

The difference usually being the qb, and an elite pass rusher.

Buffalo has neither

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

This sums it up. 

They were probably a 10 to 11 win team this year as well before they decided to cut bait on some highly talented players and force an offensive system on players who don't fit it. 

Oh well. What's another lost season? ?

Now we are looking at 7-9 or 8-8 and needing to trade those draft picks Beane assembled to be in position to take a QB. They better get it right considering the massive amount of other holes McBeane created on the team.... or else we could be in serious competition with Cleveland.

They were never going to win a championship with those players dude. Period.

That's why they tore it down

The real pain will probably be next year with a rookie qb...

They need to bottom out

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

This sums it up. 

They were probably a 10 to 11 win team this year as well before they decided to cut bait on some highly talented players and force an offensive system on players who don't fit it. 

Now we are looking at 7-9 or 8-8 and needing to trade those draft picks Beane assembled to be in position to take a QB. They better get it right considering the massive amount of other holes McBeane created on the team.... or else we could be in serious competition with Cleveland.

:lol:

A 10 to 11 win team.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

This sums it up. 

47 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

:lol:

A 10 to 11 win team.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I know, right?  Scotty was one of the biggest bitchers around when they made the early moves.  Now they were a 10 to 11 win team.  :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Punt75 said:

What NFL team comes out with the same less than average QB and a 66% roster CHANGE from the previous year after 17 seasons of not making the play-offs and expects to win??? 

ANSWER:  NO TEAM !!!

The 34% who still remain as of Sunday (18 players) are: Groy, Henderson, Mills, Wood, Incognito, Glenn, Tyrod, Miller, Clay, O’Leary, Schmidt, Williams, Alexander, Brown, Hughes, McCoy, Tate, Washington.

How many are valuable assets for trades?

The Bills of 2017 were expected to lose.  This was to be the cleansing, flush the toilet and start over season.  Too many 7-9, 8-8 finishes didn’t make us close to being a real Super Bowl contender and we all knew that.  A lucky win here, a missed penalty there and we might have grabbed a play-off spot one of those last 17 years.  Did it really matter?  We didn’t have the talent to be a big winner.

Somehow, with less talent, the Bills have done the unexpected.  Put us back in that traditional “close to the play-offs” picture.  I look forward to 2018 and beyond.  We’re on the right track.  Enjoy it and don’t complain!   

Everyone who has endured this garbage for the last 2 decades has every right to complain.  This franchise has crammed shitsandwiches down its fans throats for 40 of the 50 plus years of it's existence.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Punt75 said:

Somehow, with less talent, the Bills have done the unexpected.  Put us back in that traditional “close to the play-offs” picture.  I look forward to 2018 and beyond.  We’re on the right track.  Enjoy it and don’t complain!   

I'm hoping we finish 6-10. 

I can't be excited about 2018 unless I'm excited about the quarterback. 

10 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

The Bills didn’t lose as expected because 6 teams they played self-destructed with turnovers and/or very poor play. The Bills haven’t beaten any team that played well against them. 

Yeah, the same can be said for the teams that beat us.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Key word being BEFORE the head scratching moves.

So you were predicting a 10-11 win season before the moves?  Sure.

This team will likely end up being a (legit) 9 win team.  Maybe having Sammy and/or Dareus could have gotten them to 10 or 11 wins.  But better QB play could also have gotten them that. 

I don't feel the Bills have done the "unexpected."  In fact, I think they're team we should have anticipated.   

At the beginning of the year, I vacillated between guessing 8-8 or 9-7 before finally opting with 9-7 just because I'm a  fan.

Like many others, I figured Dennison would make our running game worse but McD would prove to be a better defensive coach than his predecessor.  

I hoped for a few other things.  I hoped, for example, that Dennison would improve the passing attack more than he hurt the running attack.  Like most of the other things I hoped for, that hasn't happened.  

But to me the biggest surprise of the season came when TT was benched.   Other than that, we're proving to be just another middle-of-the-pack football team which was predictable.   

Two games this year defined and changed our season. The first and in my opinion biggest loss was to the Bengals a team at the time couldn't break wind and had no business even playing with us let alone beating us. The second was the trouncing we took from the Jets even keeping it competitive wouldn't of hurt that bad but the way we lost set the tone for the rest of the season. Win those two games and we would of had a real shot and probably would be expected to make the playoffs. 

That being said our offense needs to be put down. Everybody but Shady has underperformed mostly stemming from Tyrod's inability to fit the system Dennison has in place. A good offensive coordinator fits the system to the talent not the other way around. 

12 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

1. The secondary played much much better than anyone expected.

2. TT is better than people on this board give him credit.  Not turning over the ball gives you the chance to win

3. They got lucky with injuries to Julio Jones and some timely turnovers

4. For a while they played with much greater discipline than they every did under Ryan

5. The fans and media know much less about football than we think we do

6. No NFL player or team tanks.  They don't have guaranteed contracts. Every snap is on film.  The players need to compete at a high level to get paid.

7. People need to stop analyzing the schedule.  There is no way to project what teams will be good or bad. 

8. The 2016 team was an 11 win team hobbled by injuries at WR and an antiquated defensive scheme coached by two buffoons

If I had to come up with 8 reasons why we started out well, these would be the 8. Excellent post.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Where's the better QB play coming from? 

The team with Sammy and Dareus AND Tyrod with an offensive system that takes advantage of the players it has(as we saw last season) is easily a 10-11 win team.

You could just as much blame McBeane and Dennison for the team once again missing the playoffs as you could the QB.

Considering that those guys were all around 3+ years and never sniffed 10, I'm gonna say :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: