Why didn't the Bills lose as EXPECTED in 2017?

Punt75

What NFL team comes out with the same less than average QB and a 66% roster CHANGE from the previous year after 17 seasons of not making the play-offs and expects to win??? 

ANSWER:  NO TEAM !!!

The 34% who still remain as of Sunday (18 players) are: Groy, Henderson, Mills, Wood, Incognito, Glenn, Tyrod, Miller, Clay, O’Leary, Schmidt, Williams, Alexander, Brown, Hughes, McCoy, Tate, Washington.

How many are valuable assets for trades?

The Bills of 2017 were expected to lose.  This was to be the cleansing, flush the toilet and start over season.  Too many 7-9, 8-8 finishes didn’t make us close to being a real Super Bowl contender and we all knew that.  A lucky win here, a missed penalty there and we might have grabbed a play-off spot one of those last 17 years.  Did it really matter?  We didn’t have the talent to be a big winner.

Somehow, with less talent, the Bills have done the unexpected.  Put us back in that traditional “close to the play-offs” picture.  I look forward to 2018 and beyond.  We’re on the right track.  Enjoy it and don’t complain!   
  • Like (+1) 2

You're right ... these Bills should have had no expectation that they'd be at 6-6. But I'm not sure that's so good long term.

As to which returning players have trade value?  The answer is none. That's ... really bad.  I suppose you might get a 7th rounder or something for Adolphus. But most of them you literally couldn't give away. Their salaries are greater than their value.

EDIT: you missed Shaq Lawson (probably because he missed most of last year himself).  He'd have some trade value. Probably a 4th rounder or so like Ragland.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Overall big picture I like what were doing but it would definitely be easier to take if we didn't start out 5-2.  Plus short term let's be honest it's still painful watching us being manhandled and bullied by the Patriots

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You're right ... these Bills should have had no expectation that they'd be at 6-6. But I'm not sure that's so good long term.

As to which returning players have trade value?  The answer is none. That's ... really bad.  I suppose you might get a 7th rounder or something for Adolphus. But most of them you literally couldn't give away. Their salaries are greater than their value.

EDIT: you missed Shaq Lawson (probably because he missed most of last year himself).  He'd have some trade value. Probably a 4th rounder or so like Ragland.

I wrote "as of Sunday" knowing Shaq was on IR.  I think we'll trade him before the draft.  He's just nothing special and too light and not strong to play inside!  Thanks for the comment.

23 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

The Bills didn’t lose as expected because 6 teams they played self-destructed with turnovers and/or very poor play. The Bills haven’t beaten any team that played well against them. 

And philly hasn't beaten a team with a winning record. 

1. The secondary played much much better than anyone expected.

2. TT is better than people on this board give him credit.  Not turning over the ball gives you the chance to win

3. They got lucky with injuries to Julio Jones and some timely turnovers

4. For a while they played with much greater discipline than they every did under Ryan

5. The fans and media know much less about football than we think we do

6. No NFL player or team tanks.  They don't have guaranteed contracts. Every snap is on film.  The players need to compete at a high level to get paid.

7. People need to stop analyzing the schedule.  There is no way to project what teams will be good or bad. 

8. The 2016 team was an 11 win team hobbled by injuries at WR and an antiquated defensive scheme coached by two buffoons

• Like (+1) 3

Figured they’d go 7-9, give or take a game.  Looks like that’s about what they’re going to do.  Shrug.  Lots of people indulge in hyperbole - they gotta be great or they gotta totally suck - but reality has been that they’re pretty average.  They can build on that and get better, but it’s who they are this season and it’s who they’ve been for awhile.

Edited by BarleyNY

16 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

1. The secondary played much much better than anyone expected.

2. TT is better than people on this board give him credit.  Not turning over the ball gives you the chance to win

3. They got lucky with injuries to Julio Jones and some timely turnovers

4. For a while they played with much greater discipline than they every did under Ryan

5. The fans and media know much less about football than we think we do

6. No NFL player or team tanks.  They don't have guaranteed contracts. Every snap is on film.  The players need to compete at a high level to get paid.

7. People need to stop analyzing the schedule.  There is no way to project what teams will be good or bad. 

8. The 2016 team was an 11 win team hobbled by injuries at WR and an antiquated defensive scheme coached by two buffoons

Great Observations!  The secondary is much better than I expected - how did we steal Hyde?  Thanks for the post.

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

The Bills didn’t lose as expected because 6 teams they played self-destructed with turnovers and/or very poor play. The Bills haven’t beaten any team that played well against them. 

Um,  that’s usually how it works.  

• Haha (+1) 1