Browns Hire John Dorsey as New GM - Mandate is "Find a QB"

Browns owner: Finding QB is Dorsey's No.1 priority

The Cleveland Browns' firing of Sashi Brown and hiring of John Dorsey on Thursday was one of the quickest front office turnarounds in league history. In his introductory news conference Friday, Dorsey made it clear that Cleveland's franchise turnaround won't be as swift. At least not until they find a quarterback.

"Let's sit down as a group [at the end of the season]," Dorsey said of Cleveland's QB quagmire. "This is a quarterback-driven league. We all know that and we all know, to succeed and to go a little bit farther and farther and farther, you need one of those guys. So I think it's an evaluation period that's going to take a little bit to put a plan together.

"The draft is four and a half months away. Free agency is three months away. We have ample time to make a plan here."

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They are less well positioned than they would be if they had just picked Carson Wentz or Deshaun Watson.  Fact.  

Punting on getting a franchise QB doesn't work.  

I get what you are saying but this is so EASY to say in retrospect.  Ask Washington fans what they think about everything they gave up to get RGIII or Jaguar fans about not "punting" on Blake Bortles.

This list of all of the QBs taken in the first round is interesting to look at in retrospect:

https://pro32.ap.org/Star-Herald/article/list-qbs-selected-first-round-nfl-draft-2000

Despite KC letting Dorsey go, he did yeoman's work in KC and built a hell of a roster there. Certainly a more proven commodity than Beane and I would take him over Beane in Buffalo in a heartbeat.

No way the Browns are passing on a QB this year with the #1 overall pick and they have a lot of picks to work with and get that team heading in the right direction.

This is why I still think all the talk about us trading up and taking a franchise QB is a fantasy because all the top ones will be long gone before any team is willing to deal with us.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Despite KC letting Dorsey go, he did yeoman's work in KC and built a hell of a roster there. Certainly a more proven commodity than Beane and I would take him over Beane in Buffalo in a heartbeat.

No way the Browns are passing on a QB this year with the #1 overall pick and they have a lot of picks to work with and get that team heading in the right direction.

This is why I still think all the talk about us trading up and taking a franchise QB is a fantasy because all the top ones will be long gone before any team is willing to deal with us.

According to this mock, there should be several available.  We could trade up to #8 and get Darnold.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-cowboys-falcons-add-wr-speed-with-ridley-burnett/

9 minutes ago, PIZ said:

According to this mock, there should be several available.  We could trade up to #8 and get Darnold.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-cowboys-falcons-add-wr-speed-with-ridley-burnett/

that mock makes me wanna vomit

25 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

They have won 1 game in 2 years.  I think it's hard to say they're heading in the right direction.  

Do you honestly think that they won't screw up this QB pick?

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I get what you are saying but this is so EASY to say in retrospect.  Ask Washington fans what they think about everything they gave up to get RGIII or Jaguar fans about not "punting" on Blake Bortles.

This list of all of the QBs taken in the first round is interesting to look at in retrospect:

https://pro32.ap.org/Star-Herald/article/list-qbs-selected-first-round-nfl-draft-2000

I'd still defend both decisions. They were the right thing to do. 

Tannehill and Manziel and Ponder and EJ and Weeden I defend less because they were always reachea to me but Bortles and RGIII I'd have taken my chances on. It might not have worked out but the process was right in both cases. 

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd still defend both decisions. They were the right thing to do. 

Tannehill and Manziel and Ponder and EJ and Weeden I defend less because they were always reachea to me but Bortles and RGIII I'd have taken my chances on. It might not have worked out but the process was right in both cases. 

If you did not lose me already, you definitely lost me once you invoked the "process."

21 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

I think this is a decent hire. I was more than surprised KC canned him.

I definitely was as well.  Andy Reid is going to mortgage the Queefs future, ultimately getting canned.  About the time Reid gets canned, Browns will be turning the corner.

3 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

49ers.  I dont care who you are.  2 firsts in 2018 and another in 19 turns alot of heads.  Jimmy g makes Buffalo viable to trade up.  They have alot of holes and 2 first rounders fills those.  The picks from chicago would alllow them to move back up if they wanted a player.

If I'm the #1 QB coming out in the draft I am telling my agent to let the Browns know that there is absolutely no way I am signing with them so don't waste the draft pick. NY Giants would be an ideal landing spot. That's exactly how they got Eli and it worked out well for everyone involved

• Haha (+1) 1