Top QBs in the NFL on 3rd down

Foreigner

2 minutes ago, B Fan in LA said:

Oh great, more stats to show that TT is a top 5 QB in the NFL.

Too bad he doesn't pass the "eye" test.

That's the test where you actually watch the game and see what a disaster he can be.

He doesn't even pass the Forrest Whitaker's bad eye test.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Most people on this board and the media have been saying this year that TT is slowing down the Offense and

is failing to move the chains, but here are the top QB passers on 3rd down in the NFL this year. 

Completion %           Yards               Passer Rating

Josh McGowan                      70.8                  1,043                       103.6

Drew Brees                             67.5                      859                         94.2

Carson Wentz                        66.4                   1,043                       125.7

Tyrod Taylor                           65.4                      707                         88.0

Case Keenum                        64.9                      771                         86.6

All of the top 5 QBs have played in 12 games I believe  except Taylor who has been in just over 11(injury last week and

Peterman game.)  Looking at these figures, it would seem our problem is more on 1st and 2nd down, so place

the blame where you wish.

These numbers are deceiving...typically we will have one drive a game where we convert 5 or 6 3rd downs and then score a TD and then fail to convert another 3rd down for multiple drives.

Numbers still look good because when you go 3 and out a bunch of times in a row you only have 1 3rd down a drive getting added in.

Also quite a few of TT's TD passes have been on 3rd down as well which helps but it in no way tells the whole story.

Stats can show anything you want them to. Its people's jobs to understand their validity by watching the game.

If a company brags about having a 99% on time delivery rate but its because they make sure they limit the number of packages they deliver, are they more successful than a company with a 90% on time delivery rate that really push the limits by taking on more work than they can complete in the allotted timeframe?

This is what you are showing us with Tyrod's stats on 3rd down...he is the company with the 99% on time delivery rate(ie, completing checkdowns to RBs for 5 yards when we need 8 versus another QB who tries to make a play and get a first down but might throw incomplete or throw an INT).

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Most people on this board and the media have been saying this year that TT is slowing down the Offense and

is failing to move the chains, but here are the top QB passers on 3rd down in the NFL this year. 

Josh McGowan                      70.8                  1,043                       103.6

Drew Brees                             67.5                      859                         94.2

Carson Wentz                        66.4                   1,043                       125.7

Tyrod Taylor                           65.4                      707                         88.0

Case Keenum                        64.9                      771                         86.6

All of the top 5 QBs have played in 12 games I believe  except Taylor who has been in just over 11(injury last week and

Peterman game.)  Looking at these figures, it would seem our problem is more on 1st and 2nd down, so place

Ranked by percentage of completions? So if it's third-and-eight and a QB completes a pass that goes for a 2 yard gain, it's OK by this standard?

5 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Middle of the league passer + woeful receiving corps = a bad passing offense

Yeah Taylor has converted or made plays that should have converted a number of long distance second and third downs........but when this offense was good the past two seasons they were making big plays.......leading the NFL in that category in both 2015 and 2016....... and those big plays have been taken out of the games of Taylor and McCoy by the lack of defensive attention given to their sluggish WR corps and instead focused on the LOS. 

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

How often are they in 3rd and long? 

Here's another question ... WHY are they often in 3rd and long?

Doesn't an awful lot of that have to do with how bad the offense (including Tyrod) are on 1st and 2nd downs?

38 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah Taylor has converted or made plays that should have converted a number of long distance second and third downs........but when this offense was good the past two seasons they were making big plays.......leading the NFL in that category in both 2015 and 2016....... and those big plays have been taken out of the games of Taylor and McCoy by the lack of defensive attention given to their sluggish WR corps and instead focused on the LOS. 

He didn't throw long much or well last year either. People are remembering how well he threw long in 2015. He really hasn't done it that well since.

Most of the big plays last year were running plays.

And I guess you could call a guy generally considered somewhere around 20 - 22nd best in passing as "middle of the league." But it's actually a bit below average.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, Foreigner said:

What is his 1st down percentage not some meaningless completion percentage number 

9 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Show me the stats on converting a first down on 3rd down pass plays. 

Currently 16/36.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&rank=098&type=Passing&year=2017

Also, 55% of Taylor's 3rd down plays that have resulted in a ball leaving his hand or a sack have been for 8+ yards.

I can't find an exact stat for this, but if we don't average the longest distance to convert on 3rd down, I'd be surprised. But even then, it'll be 2nd or 3rd most.

And I have a legitimate question to you: do you actually care about plays that are 3rd down passing plays or do you only care about plays where the ball leaves Taylor's hand or he's sacked, which is the number the NFL tracks?

I ask because scrambles are passing plays, too. And Taylor often converts 3rd downs by scrambling. Hell, he was a perfect 3/3 on scramble conversions on 3rd down against the Patriots.

Taylor has actually improved as a 3rd down QB, believe it or not.

I'm looking forward to all the reasoning about to be thrown at those facts just to try to make Taylor look like the worst QB in the NFL :doh:

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Show me the stats on converting a first down on 3rd down pass plays. 

Yeah getting 7 on 3rd and 12 just doesn't cut it.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Currently 16/36.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&rank=098&type=Passing&year=2017

Also, 55% of Taylor's 3rd down plays that have resulted in a ball leaving his hand or a sack have been for 8+ yards.

I can't find an exact stat for this, but if we don't average the longest distance to convert on 3rd down, I'd be surprised. But even then, it'll be 2nd or 3rd most.

And I have a legitimate question to you: do you actually care about plays that are 3rd down passing plays or do you only care about plays where the ball leaves Taylor's hand or he's sacked, which is the number the NFL tracks?

I ask because scrambles are passing plays, too. And Taylor often converts 3rd downs by scrambling. Hell, he was a perfect 3/3 on scramble conversions on 3rd down against the Patriots.

Taylor has actually improved as a 3rd down QB, believe it or not.

I'm looking forward to all the reasoning about to be thrown at those facts just to try to make Taylor look like the worst QB in the NFL :doh:

Look he is not the worst but he is also not the long term answer.

His last two home performances were 56yds and 63 yds.

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

IMG_1140.JPG

Good post.

Which is why heat maps were annoying as !@#$ the last two seasons.

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

IMG_1140.JPG

Good post.

Which is why heat maps were annoying as !@#$ the last two seasons.

They’re deceiving but our play calling is terrible. Never seems like the defense is off balance. Always in obvious passing position on 3rd down. 

Threads like this don’t show that a Taylor is a good QB. Anyone who watches the games knows he’s not. What they do show is how deceptive statistics can be and why you should never forcus or base your arguments primarily on them.

Maybe someone should show this thread to McDermott so that he stops thinking about benching him due to ineffectiveness for a rookie 5th round draft pick.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

28th in passing yards 2015

30th in passing yards 2016

But keep climbing Mount Wrong. You'll reach the summit someday.

• Like (+1) 1

Descriptive stats suck. And they suck even worse when employed by those thinking that describing something is the same as explain what it causes. We're talking about wins. Plain and simple. You can throw as many descriptive stats as you want out, most cherry pick the ones supporting the argument they introduce, but in the end whether it's Jeremy White's constant love of useless descriptive stats or someone here's... it comes down to how these stats cause wins. We're talking inference. What can we infer, statistically, from these data points as it relates to winning. Everyone loves TT's low INT rates. As a standalone descriptive stat, it's good. But when we start linking it with other stats... YAC, TPG, TDs and look at them as a whole... does it translate to wins? Some form of regression analysis using many independent variables and "wins" as a dependent variable might help us better understand how TTs stats and the stats of all QBs each have a causal relationship to wins.

I don't care enough to do it because I've sat through almost 3 seasons of home games listening to my section yell "Throw the damn ball" or "So and so is wide open" to know he's not the guy. He is slow with progressions, doesn't release his passes at the top of his drops instead waiting for a WR to be WIDE OPEN as opposed to throwing him open. In my mind, his low INT rate is a result not of his excellence but his limitations... rarely throws downfield, rarely throws in tight windows and relies on his WR to make a contested play, rarely trows over the middle. Those are were INTs happen. I would also argue these limitations hold the D back. They don't have play over 48 yards this year and the 48 yarder was a McCoy run. The running game suffers because of TT's inability to scare teams deep (and shoddy OL play), so they can play tighter to the line and stack the box.

It's not the limitations of the OC, it's the limitations of the QB to execute the offense that holds teams back. TT is only different than the other QBs during the drought because of his low INT rate, somehow people have fashioned in their mind that since the throws few INTs, that makes him good. Every single one has had a fatal execution flaw.... Edwards was a checkdown machine, Fitz was an INT machine in crunch time, Losman was well Losman, EJ threw picks and didn't see the field. TT doesn't throw picks but doesn't see the field and doesn't execute an NFL passing game. 

Watch some ALL 22, watch how many open receivers he doesn't see. Damn Joe Webb came in last week and throw a ball down the seam that TT never throws. 

I can't wait for next season and the end of the TT era. If in 3 years you don't improve, you're done. Give me a mobil, pocket passer who reads the field and executes a legit passing game. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

15 hours ago, matter2003 said:

These numbers are deceiving...typically we will have one drive a game where we convert 5 or 6 3rd downs and then score a TD and then fail to convert another 3rd down for multiple drives.

Numbers still look good because when you go 3 and out a bunch of times in a row you only have 1 3rd down a drive getting added in.

Also quite a few of TT's TD passes have been on 3rd down as well which helps but it in no way tells the whole story.

Stats can show anything you want them to. Its people's jobs to understand their validity by watching the game.

If a company brags about having a 99% on time delivery rate but its because they make sure they limit the number of packages they deliver, are they more successful than a company with a 90% on time delivery rate that really push the limits by taking on more work than they can complete in the allotted timeframe?

This is what you are showing us with Tyrod's stats on 3rd down...he is the company with the 99% on time delivery rate(ie, completing checkdowns to RBs for 5 yards when we need 8 versus another QB who tries to make a play and get a first down but might throw incomplete or throw an INT).

Stop using analysis and logic, they are really just annoying to most people who believe that obscure stats tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1