Browns Fire Sashi, announce Hue Jackson will return in 2018 (Dorsey may have other plans)

YoloinOhio

Crazy to think that Hue's lifeline is "well I wanted to draft Wentz"

Ok fine you did.

That is still not an excuse to go 1-31 for the past two seasons. Sorry Hue all you did was kick your feet over Sashi's failures and lost a whole damn slate of games. You gotta go too.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We're 6-6 in one of the worst playoff races in recent years.  He single handedly cost as a game with the Peterman decision.  

Like i said, I'm fine with him as coach.  I hate how much power he has and think it will cost us long term as it did this year. 

In THREE of those six losses, Tyrod Taylor was an utter and complete disaster as a QB.

Like really bad. Sure, he didn't toss 5 INT. But he didn't exactly make plays with his arm, either.

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

This is a very interesting assessment.  

Unfortunately, 1-27 says Sashi will never  get another chance with a different team.

It's certainly interesting in that many might be multi-year contributors because THEY PLAY FOR THE BROWNS! The Browns actually have to field players every week, and their only options are the ones on the team. Just because a player plays for a while is no indicator of whether he was a good pick or not, especially on teams like the Browns.

• Haha (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
51 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We're 6-6 in one of the worst playoff races in recent years.  He single handedly cost as a game with the Peterman decision.  

Like i said, I'm fine with him as coach.  I hate how much power he has and think it will cost us long term as it did this year. 

Tyrod was going to beat the rising Chargers on the road when we were hitting our low point?

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Naw - he did not single handedly cost us the SD game. It wasn't even Peterman alone.  TT would have been killed by SD as their D simply destroyed our right side OL. TT may have scrambled some and likely wouldn't have thrown as many picks, but even a Joe Montana/Tom Brady clone would have lost that game too.

I might be in the minority but I'd have fired Brown (and DePodesta for that matter) and given a Hue another year too. 

Cleveland are the ultimate example for having loads of draft picks not being a sure route to success if you give them to people who don't know what they are doing. Brown's two drafts have seen passes on Wentz and Watson in favour of a bunch of mainly average picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, corta765 said:

Well Darnold, Rosen, & at least Jackson all have been graded higher then Mahomes/Trubisky/Waston entering the draft not accounting Watsons amazing stretch for the sake of keeping just focused on leaving college for the draft. I have zero clue if any of them or someone like Allen or Mayfield will be better then the 2016 QB's, Goff, or Wentz, but those analyzing this draft/NFL personnel love the potential and traits shown thus far from this class compared to the previous 2 years.

That said I still think the Browns kinda blew it not taking a guy in either of the previous 2 years.

This is the sole reason I would've kept Rex Ryan for one more season especially if you were bringing back Tyrod. If you were going to do that again then give Rex one more year with his guys and draft picks to try and make it work. If it would've failed then scorch the earth on everything to start fresh. And for the record I was not and am not a Ryan fan in the least, but you gotta let a coach have enough time to make his mark. 3 years at least gives him 2 years of his draft and players and time to get his system in for better or worse.

I agree. 

I disliked the Rex Ryan hire from day 1 and felt he was not the right guy for the job. He's great with X's and O's but he sucks as a teacher. He's not disciplined enough or detail oriented. He's full of excuses, and full of crap... 

By year 2 I was even more convinced he wasn't the right guy. I felt he was ruining a damn good defense, giving jobs to unqualified people due to nepotism and really hated that he was turning Buffalo into a clown show/laughing stock. 

But I still didn't really want him fired. I thought he should get at least 1 more year to show he could make improvements to the defense, and if he was able to, I thought he should get another year again. 

I think when you hire a coach, you should probably really commit for a minimum of 4 years (in most circumstances, as there's always exceptions). Most times when you change coaches or GM's, you change visions. That makes it damn hard to ever really build anything.

I also think players need continuity in order to truly be able to execute a scheme at a high level. I think that's one of the (many) reasons that Tom Brady is so damn good. He's been in basically the same offensive scheme his entire career. He has had a chance to really perfect it. Not too many players get that chance. 

Thankfully for me this time I was fully on board with our coaching hire. McDermott is the guy I wanted from thr minute I seen his name on the interview list. I just truly hope that him and Beane get the full 5 years n their contracts... we haven't had any real continuity in Buffalo in quite a long time. I'd love to see what happens when we do. 

18 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Crazy to think that Hue's lifeline is "well I wanted to draft Wentz"

Ok fine you did.

That is still not an excuse to go 1-31 for the past two seasons. Sorry Hue all you did was kick your feet over Sashi's failures and lost a whole damn slate of games. You gotta go too.

Good for Wentz dodging that bullet.  Your team would probably still be terrible, and he would probably be ruined if he went there.

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I might be in the minority but I'd have fired Brown (and DePodesta for that matter) and given a Hue another year too. 

Cleveland are the ultimate example for having loads of draft picks not being a sure route to success if you give them to people who don't know what they are doing. Brown's two drafts have seen passes on Wentz and Watson in favour of a bunch of mainly average picks. 

The drafts overseen by brown weren't actually that bad.  It was the 3-5 years prior when they missed on like every pick.  That's the reason that they are terrible - its not the current GM or current HC.  Heres a list of browns first round picks from 2011-2015

Gilbert, Mingo, Manziel, Richardson, Weeden, Erving, Taylor

When you miss on EVERY 1st round pick for 5 years - you tend to have a lot of holes.  

48 minutes ago, dneveu said:

The drafts overseen by brown weren't actually that bad.  It was the 3-5 years prior when they missed on like every pick.  That's the reason that they are terrible - its not the current GM or current HC.  Heres a list of browns first round picks from 2011-2015

Gilbert, Mingo, Manziel, Richardson, Weeden, Erving, Taylor

When you miss on EVERY 1st round pick for 5 years - you tend to have a lot of holes.  

Corey Coleman was a good pick in 2016 but has struggled staying healthy. Ogbah has been okay, he can rush the passer but is dreadful against the run.  The other reasonable pick is the safety out of TCU.  The rest are hopeless.  

Myles Garrett was so obvious at #1 that even the Browns couldn't miss but who else do you like so far from the 2017 class?  

If the only criteria for your draft being okay is not blowing the first pick then yea, I suppose they were okay.  

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Corey Coleman was a good pick in 2016 but has struggled staying healthy. Ogbah has been okay, he can rush the passer but is dreadful against the run.  The other reasonable pick is the safety out of TCU.  The rest are hopeless.  

Myles Garrett was so obvious at #1 that even the Browns couldn't miss but who else do you like so far from the 2017 class?  

If the only criteria for your draft being okay is not blowing the first pick then yea, I suppose they were okay.  

I mean.. they have a decent amount of starters/contributors from the last 2 drafts. 

garrett

Ogbah
Nassib
Schobert
Peppers
Kindred
Kizer
Devalve/Njoku
Coleman
Coleman

Gonzalez
Louis/Higgins

I think they were supposed to suck this year - they're trying to build some talent the only way they can.  They signed a few free agents, but it seems like its wheel spinning money.  Britt has 18 catches on a 32 mil deal.  Added some O-line free agents as well, but make no mistake.  This is a very young team built to lose.

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

I mean.. they have a decent amount of starters/contributors from the last 2 drafts. 

garrett

Ogbah
Nassib
Schobert
Peppers
Kindred
Kizer
Devalve/Njoku
Coleman
Coleman

Gonzalez
Louis/Higgins

I think they were supposed to suck this year - they're trying to build some talent the only way they can.  They signed a few free agents, but it seems like its wheel spinning money.  Britt has 18 catches on a 32 mil deal.  Added some O-line free agents as well, but make no mistake.  This is a very young team built to lose.

Njoku I will give you I forgot and he has made some plays.... the rest are only contributors because the Browns have nobody else. They suck as NFL players beyond Njoku and the 4 I mentioned. The two tackles are both horrific players. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Njoku I will give you I forgot and he has made some plays.... the rest are only contributors because the Browns have nobody else. They suck as NFL players beyond Njoku and the 4 I mentioned. The two tackles are both horrific players. 

I disagree.  https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/12/8/16750774/cleveland-browns-sashi-brown-hue-jackson-paul-depodesta-john-dorsey

And the tweet embedded in it:

View image on Twitter

Here's Sashi Brown's last two NFL Drafts. Our of his 24 picks, 20 might be multi-year NFL contributors. That's an ABSURD success rate.

Plus, they have 2018 Draft 1st and two 2nds coming.

EDIT: right now they sit at the 1st AND 10th overall picks (Texans).  They could pick Rosen AND, say, Baker Mayfield. And they have tons of cap room. I would much rather be in the Browns situation than in ours ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Who thinks 20 of his 24 are multi-year contributors? 

The answer is someone who hasn't watched the tape and is only looking at who is starting now on a 0-12 team.

Garrett, C. Coleman, Njoku, Ogbah and Kindred are the 5 people contributing at an NFL level. The other 19 might be starting.... but they are sucking. Continuting to 0-13 is not good. 

Edited by GunnerBill