Browns Fire Sashi, announce Hue Jackson will return in 2018 (Dorsey may have other plans)

YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, Fred Marchibroda said:

I would love to hear you pontificate as to who/what/where/how you think Bills fans want the Bills to make that exact mistake.   Not trying to pick a fight.  I think everyone wants to have a legit Franchise QB but obviously how to get one and who to get might be cause for the disagreements.  Please enlighten me.  Thanks,

Use the search tool:

Here's one such thread where someone is questioning the worth of trading up and getting a QB at all cost.

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

In other words, Sashi got the Rob Chudzinski treatment.

I still don't understand how you hire a GM or head coach (Bills or Browns) and give them less than two years.  Dumb.

The guy was the team lawyer before GM.

His draft "hits"?  Big deal--he's just filling out a roster with a million holes. 

Glaring desperate need at QB and he passes on multiple chip shot picks--completely inexcusable.  Hoarding picks to build an awful team.

This was a dumb hire to begin with, so...no points for Haslam realizing this just now.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

The guy was the team lawyer before GM.

His draft "hits"?  Big deal--he's just filling out a roster with a million holes. 

Glaring desperate need at QB and he passes on multiple chip shot picks--completely inexcusable.  Hoarding picks to build an awful team.

This was a dumb hire to begin with, so...no points for Haslam realizing this just now.

This is the owner making this guy the scapegoat.  I have to believe that the owner was all in on the approach and especially the moves at the top of the draft. Those are organizational decisions.  The Factory of Sadness lives on.

18 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Your comment is built on the premise that the Colts did build around Luck.  The problem is they did not build around him.  Picking him was the right move.

I forgot that Kim Jung QB cannot be questioned.  It is certainly the fault of the GM, owner, coach, and 52 other guys.  He is unquestionably the best there ever was.

1 minute ago, Peter said:

This is the owner making this guy the scapegoat.  I have to believe that the owner was all in on the approach and especially the moves at the top of the draft. Those are organizational decisions.  The Factory of Sadness lives on.

So much for organizational patience to see a plan through with any kind of long range vision.  Could be the success that Wentz and Goff are enjoying soured Haslam on the plan or possibly the botched McCarron trade.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Not exactly. While i agree they should have rid us of Taylor, I can understand why they didn't.

I am referring to how the organization - not too long ago - preached how important continuity was and then decided to fire the head coach with the best winning percentage in the previous 17 years in LESS THAN two years notwithstanding significant injuries and being undermined by leaks just prior to huge games.

Just now, Peter said:

I am referring to how the organization - not too long ago - preached how important continuity was and then decided to fire the head coach with the best winning percentage in the previous 17 years in LESS THAN two years notwithstanding significant injuries and being undermined by leaks just prior to huge games.

Apologies, i misunderstood.

18 minutes ago, Peter said:

It was dumb hire to begin with--as was hiring the Mets guy.  This is the NFL and these two don't belong in a position to try to turn around a horrible team.  This was doomed to fail. 

Make no mistake--I've posted that Haslam is the worst owner in the group and the NFL should be forced to sell the team.  Picking these two to turn his team around (with analytics!!) was laughable from the start and the result was predicted.

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Shouldn't the new GM make the decision on Hue? Lol.

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Who would want the job as a GM if your tied to Hue Jackson and can't hire your own coach? 

No kidding.  The new GM is stuck with this guy?  That's going to severely limit their candidate list....

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Rex had to go. But your point is well taken. Its just more added proof Pegula doesn't have a clue.

He preached continuity and decided not to retain Schwartz after the 2014 season and than the same thing with Lynn after last season. Continuity of GOOD things Terry lol.  

We clearly disagree on whether "Rex had to go."  It made no sense to fire a guy who objectively had been the most successful coach in the past 17 years of the franchise (especially given the injuries and effort to undermine him by Whaley or others).  That will never make any sense to me.

As for the rest, we agree with the Bills' previous professed emphasis on continuity.  I am not particularly impressed with McBeane or their version of the "process." Nevertheless, as much as I am not impressed thus far, I do not see myself advocating that they should be fired in less than two years.

Edited by Peter

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

this is actually really bad news for us.  they were going to get AJ McCarron and not draft a QB.  now that is probably out the window and they will be taking a QB #1 overall.  sucks for us

I was hoping Hue was getting canned and might be our next OC as well

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Oh yeah, he has that UT tie with the owner.  I mean you never know.   Hue better hope the next GM is willing to be patient.   I honestly thought they would see this through.   They have a stellar defense right now with tons of young talent on the offense.   But they made a huge mistake not building around a quarterback first and foremost.

I wouldn't say their defense is stellar YET. They have some really good pieces on the front 7 but the secondary needs work and we won't really no where that D stands until their offense stops playing at a D3 level.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Are you kidding? It's one job of 32. Factor in all of the picks they have on the books. The Browns could give a retread GM a real chance to put them self back on the map.

It would be awesome if they hired Whaley.

He would finally have the coach he wanted.

Browns would instantly become my 2nd favorite team to follow.

Edited by cba fan

From Haslam's statement:

"We have great appreciation and gratitude for Sashi's commitment and leadership to our organization but believe transitioning to someone with strong experience and success in drafting and building consistently winning football teams is critical to the future of the Cleveland Browns. Today we informed Sashi that we were going in a new direction," Haslam said. "The 2018 draft and offseason is pivotal for our franchise, we need to ensure that we maximize our opportunity for success; with our picks, free agency and building our roster. Hue Jackson will remain our coach and will return for the 2018 season but we feel it is necessary to take significant steps to strengthen our personnel department. 

"We have begun the process of having productive conversations regarding leadership of our football operations and will provide further updates when appropriate. We thank Sashi for all his hard work and dedication to the Cleveland Browns."

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

If you couldn't see the Bills defense was a tire fire and Rex was in cruise control once he got paid from Pegula(outside of when we played the Jets), then I don't know what to tell you. 

If the team is absolutely putrid next season then any option is fair game, IMO.

And, yet again, you'd be wrong.

But that's no surprise.