Football - A violent game, Sportsmanship VS Thuggery

simpleman

Recent comments about incidents like the Gronk hit show how differently Football Fans view the game. I have no problem with football being a violent game. But every legitimate sporting game has a set of rules to that game.   To me, when you are violating those rules and you cause injuries to others, you are committing assault, you are no longer just playing hard in a violent game.

I watch the game to enjoy seeing individuals with talents that I don’t have play in an organized game. I do not watch a game to see thugs assaulting those that ARE playing the game and following those rules. I understand there are times when a player may mistakenly or accidently violate the rules, and they have to be a man and accept the consequences of their actions. And there are times that the refs unfairly accuse the player of violating the rules. A man who is a true sportsman accepts those occurrences as part of the game.

But I have trouble with those that intentionally assault others by assaulting them outside of the rules. Gronk hit White well after the play was whistled dead, while he was defenseless, and clearly already well out of bounds. That is not violence within the game, it is assault with intent.  

The recent hit in the game with the Steelers showed what happens when players use the game to settle differences.  When you become a headhunter or enforcer outside of the sport and the rules. Yet I read here of posters upset about the Gronk hit complaining that  the other Bills players did not respond to Gronk’s assault with illegal actions and assault in retaliation during the game. Actions that could have resulted in negative consequences for the team.

Yes, the team had already lost the game at that point, but that still does not make it all right to violate the rules just because you had already hopelessly lost the game. It does not excuse losing your integrity.

I thought a major part of McD’s “Process” was suppose to be about positive “character”. It may be old fashioned in today’s culture, but I still believe what my parents taught me, “Two wrongs don’t make a right”.  I find such calls, and calls for future revenge on Gronk in a game by breaking the rules and committing assault repulsive and immoral.

If you are a fan of two people beating the crap out of each other, how about watching a UFC or MMA sanctioned fight and let those that are fans of the “Game of Football” watch good football played according to the rules of football. Not some perverted derivative of it. A good athlete plays the game according to the rules, whether they agree with them all or not. They play hard and fair, and win or loose according to them. They do not play outside the rules, or only follow those rules that suit them. That is true sportsmanship, which I respect and admire. Not thuggery.

• Like (+1) 1

You must be a blast at parties.

It's a long stretch from standing up for yourself or teammate and "thuggery"... 

That Gronk hit was not part of the game, it was after the whistle and you could make a case for "assault" if you really wanted to. So let me put it this way, if that happened to me on the street, and I subsequently retaliated, even the courts and cops would call it "self defense". So it's only thuggery if in football?

And guess what.... Two wrongs may not make a right, but what's to say getting back at him is wrong? Oh yeah, that's your opinion, because to me it feels so right. I do watch Boxing, MMA, and hockey, but I don't need the NFL to turn into a fighters league, I just want our team to turn into a TEAM that cares enough about each other to defend their teammates like a brother when sucker attacked out of nowhere. 

If you can't even defend yourself and team, I consider that to be wrong, and much more disgusting/reprehensible than retaliation.

• Like (+1) 2

I used to believe in morality and ethics up until the point where everyone else on the planet stopped believing. This is a selfish me first society now that is predicated on money. I'm not saying  I like it but it's the fact. The only reason Gronk didn't get a 2 game suspension  was because of the huge marquee Steeler game coming up. What will slowly happen is more and more mothers will not allow their kids to play football. The pool of quality players in high school and college will diminish. The NFL will be impacted. With CTE future NFL players will probably be required to sign a release of liability.  Fans will always demand it to be a gladiator sport where players continue to launch themselves helmet first. New safety measures and rules will have minimal results. I fear for the future of the sport, not just the NFL.

I think in a month this isn't even a subject people bring up. While it is in the 15 mins of Fame expect all kinds of wild comments. 

I don't see anybody driving over to Gronks house to punch him in the face so they must not care that much. What happened was dirty and it was up to the NFL to respond and they failed. One game suspension and a fine was the best your gonna get.

Although I don't hold people accountable so much  for venting feelings here and maybe you shouldn't take it to heart and understand people say things when angry. This is a Bills board our player could of been hurt on a really bad cheap shot. Let people vent until it goes away. 

I'm guessing you never really tried to be the voice of reason in a wild situation but take my advice sometimes it's ok to step back and watch the world burn. I have seen dirty stuff, wanted to call it out and decided to keep my mouth shut for my own safety. 

I hope I helped you come to terms and find peace.

Edited by Lfod

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I used to believe in morality and ethics up until the point where everyone else on the planet stopped believing. This is a selfish me first society now that is predicated on money. I'm not saying  I like it but it's the fact. The only reason Gronk didn't get a 2 game suspension  was because of the huge marquee Steeler game coming up. What will slowly happen is more and more mothers will not allow their kids to play football. The pool of quality players in high school and college will diminish. The NFL will be impacted. With CTE future NFL players will probably be required to sign a release of liability.  Fans will always demand it to be a gladiator sport where players continue to launch themselves helmet first. New safety measures and rules will have minimal results. I fear for the future of the sport, not just the NFL.

Sad but true. Especially the first sentence.

What if players are treated like civilians after the whistle. If a cop saw a huge man curb stomp a prone stranger on the ground that's game over. That man does not get the benefit of society, is denied privileges of being in society. 

Gronk lost the privilege of being treated like any other NFL player, he's denied sportsmanship. See: Burfict.

That's just how any organized group of humans naturally works. Gronk temporarily lost his mind and proved he is a danger outside the boundaries of the sport. Criminals do the same thing. Screw Gronk.