Attendance Sunday?

21 minutes ago, Peter said:

At least we had hope (and a good team etc.) back then. People were not selling tickets for $4 back then either.

True but still nothing worse than losing those games. it still bothers me.....4 in a row? Come on!

The Bills no longer have the fear advantage. It was much easier to sell tickets to meaningless games in December when people had the specter of losing their team hanging over their heads.

Reality sets in a bit more when the romantic ideal of supporting your team to show them how much you care is gone.   All of us still care, we wouldnt be on a message board otherwise.  The tickets may only cost six dollars a piece, but add parking a few beers and some food to the equation and you still end up with a close to $75 dollar outing.  May not be a lot to some of you, but when it's around Christmas and you have other things to spend your money on watching a 6-6 team with the slim hopes of being in the playoffs play a 3-9 team in the snow doesnt sound that appealing.

The league tried to do the Bills a favor by making the Patriots games later in the season but it still didnt shake out.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am guessing that the 2 main reasons are the fan boycott, and that Bills Fans do not have a realistic expectation of winning due to years of no playoffs?

What do you think?

General pessimism. Also not wanting to sit in the cold, despite all the lore about living football in snow.

But I've seen more excitement for games where we further out of a playoff spot. We have a real shot at 9-7. That should matter to people, especially when were pegged a 4-win team in August.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

True but still nothing worse than losing those games. it still bothers me.....4 in a row? Come on!

I was depressed as well.  I went to two of those games and felt horrible, but even after those losses, I knew:

1) We had hope and excitement for the following year;

2) Rich Stadium would sell out all or most games the following year;

3) No one could ever expect to buy tickets for $4;

4) Those of us who had season tickets never had one thought about giving up season tickets;

5) Marv Levy and Bill Polian did not go around saying the word "process" all the time hoping to sound like Nick Saban or even Lou Saban for that matter.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

General pessimism. Also not wanting to sit in the cold, despite all the lore about living football in snow.

But I've seen more excitement for games where we further out of a playoff spot. We have a real shot at 9-7. That should matter to people, especially when were pegged a 4-win team in August.

Good points, but I think the kneeling is also tied in.

Lots of people I talk to are really pissed at the players who do this. This would seem to make it easier to stay home on a 20 degree, snowy afternoon.

7 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Good points, but I think the kneeling is also tied in.

Lots of people I talk to are really pissed at the players who do this. This would seem to make it easier to stay home on a 20 degree, snowy afternoon.

Maybe it's just me but I can't believe it's an issue to anyone. It's been out of the news for weeks. But then again, I don't watch a certain news channel or follow a certain politician's tweets.

15 minutes ago, Peter said:

5) Marv Levy and Bill Polian did not go around saying the word "process" all the time hoping to sound like Nick Saban or even Lou Saban for that matter.

Yeah, that's the problem.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Maybe it's just me but I can't believe it's an issue to anyone. It's been out of the news for weeks. But then again, I don't watch a certain news channel or follow a certain politician's tweets.

Yeah, that's the problem.

It may or may not be "the" problem, but it certainly is indicative of at least "a" problem.  These guys are so full of themselves and think that, because they use the word process, they magically will transform into Nick Saban.  If they want to be original, they should come up with their own cliche. 

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

It may or may not be "the" problem, but it certainly is indicative of at least "a" problem.  These guys are so full of themselves and think that, because they use the word process, they magically will transform into Nick Saban.  If they want to be original, they should come up with their own cliche. 

I've been on this forum a long time and I'm always amazed how the smallest stuff becomes and issue with fans, from Wade not wearing headphones to "the process." Some real creative thinking goes into elevating these to high crimes. You seriously think McDermott is "full of himself???"

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I've been on this forum a long time and I'm always amazed how the smallest stuff becomes and issue with fans, from Wade not wearing headphones to "the process." Some real creative thinking goes into elevating these to high crimes. You seriously think McDermott is "full of himself???"

Wade not wearing a head set was not him trying to be someone else. Wade also was a great coach with a great record and never should have been fired.  There is NO comparison (as of yet) between McCoach and Wade.

The repeated invocation of the "process" is McBeane trying to summon their inner Nick Saban.  It is contrived and makes them look like posers.  I remember when I first heard McCoach use the word (although he could have said it earlier). 

A day or two before the deadline to exercise the right to extend Sammy for a year, McCoach said that they were going through the "process" when asked whether they were to exercise the option.  I thought, gee, WTF, that is funny.  Here is a guy trying to sound like Nick Saban but is trying to convince people that they had not made up their mind yet and going through the process. 

I have this image of McCoach invoking the process when he decides whether to go to the bathroom or get a cup of coffee.

In any event, I think even McBeane know (or have been told by PR) that they sound like they are full of you know what, because they do not say it as often, but they still cannot help themselves when it escapes their lips.

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Wade not wearing a head set was not him trying to be someone else. 

The repeated invocation of the "process" is McBeane trying to summon their inner Nick Saban.  It is contrived and makes them look like posers.  I remember when I first remember McCoach using the word (although he could have said it earlier). 

A day or two before the deadline to exercise the right to extend Sammy for a year, McCoach said that they were going through the "process" when asked whether they were to exercise the option.  I thought, gee, WTF, that is funny.  Here is a guy trying to sound like Nick Saban but is trying to convince people that they had not made up their mind yet and going through the process. 

I have this image of McCoach invoking the process when he decides whether to go to the bathroom or get a cup of coffee.

In any event, I think even McBeane know (or have been told by PR) that they sound like they are full of you know what, because they do not say it as often, but they still cannot help themselves when it escapes their lips.

I think you're trying too hard.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think you're trying too hard.

I am not impressed.  Nevertheless, as much as I am not impressed, I have a hard time seeing myself arguing that someone should be fired in less than two years as some here argued incessantly last year.

12 minutes ago, Peter said:

I am not impressed.  Nevertheless, as much as I am not impressed, I have a hard time seeing myself arguing that someone should be fired in less than two years as some here argued incessantly last year.

Okay. You're not impressed. Why? He couldn't turn chicken crap into chicken salad? This was predicted to be a 4-win team in August. We could win 9 and have an outside shot at to make the playoffs. McDermott's crime, I think, was getting people's hopes up winning games early. Now he's crap because he couldn't keep it rolling? You just can't win, can you.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

36 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Okay. You're not impressed. Why? He couldn't turn chicken crap into chicken salad? This was predicted to be a 4-win team in August. We could win 9 and have an outside shot at to make the playoffs. McDermott's crime, I think, was getting people's hopes up winning games early. Now he's crap because he couldn't keep it rolling? You just can't win, can you.

Believe me, McCoach did NOT get my hopes up.  Our earlier record was a mirage.  We had the 10th easiest schedule in the league.

I am bored to tears watching this team.  I did not agree with trading guys for little or no value.  I think that they have made the team worse, but they think they are so smart that they think they have made it better now. 

As I also have mentioned,  as an out of town season ticket holder this is especially painful because - no matter what some of the critics of Rex had or have to say - people are voting with their wallets loudly and clearly as to what they think about McCoach and the process. People are not willing to pay much for tickets or are not buying tickets at all . . . not just December games but the home opener (which I could not sell for even face value).

I much would have preferred the continuity that ownership and management were selling not too long ago until someone decided to undermine the old coach and they decided that they did not want continuity but would rather begin anew . . .  yet again.  I thought that we were making progress with the last staff until someone in management (Whaley?)  (or perhaps ownership) decided to throw him under the bus.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I do not see myself advocating that McBeane should get less than two years.  I also hope that they are successful.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Peter

1 hour ago, Peter said:

"Process" has been a popular cliche in business for more than a decade.  I have always felt that in a large corporation people can hide behind the process to spread blame and avoid personal responsibility.  I'm not sure how process works in a relatively small organization like an NFL team.  I assume the process refers to a set of goals for the coaching and management staff, and the players are moved around like puzzle pieces to align to some sort of predetermined vision.  Either they go along with the process, or they get traded.

I wonder what the process is.  Is it a three year plan to get the guys who can play in the defensive scheme, block on the O-line the way they are supposed to, and somehow find the QB who can make things work?  That sounds like a pretty typical laundry list for an NFL coach, but it's better than that, it's a Process!