Early returns on biggest bust of 2017 draft ...

YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

No. 

If people thought so after he played 7 games with a terrible head coach and no offensive weapons they should re assess their life.

Based on this premise, we have many people here that need to reassess their lives.

speed receivers are almost always a bad idea.   Can't believe Ross went so high.

All three of the top receivers had major injuries this season so it's tough to evaluate, but Corey has played the most and he's had some tremendous catches.  So far just showing off his hands and sideline awareness but he's got Andre Reed YAC ability too.   He will be elite.

Edited by Da webster guy

11 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

Most WR's take 2-3 seasons to mature... I have pointed out several times that Eric Moulds for example, sucked at first, before turning it around in his 3rd season... Zay Jones will be fine - just give him some time...

I agree but the weird part was just catching the ball for Zay. That's the easy part for a young receiver compared to learning the routes and getting separation

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I guarantee you as long as McB are here we will never draft a 1st round wr.  

Why do you say that out of curiosity? Not saying you're wrong. Does he not believe in taking wrs in the first round or something?

6 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

not exactly a ringing endorsement to draft a 1st round WR and expect immediate payoff.  Zay is outperforming these guys in many ways.  

good point, but Ross may be a 1 trick pony as another commenter noted.  Ross needs to take this time rounding himself out as an NFL receiver.  

I just don't trust fast small wr's anymore after Goodwin. They can't absorb NFL hits. Find them in later rounds.

29 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I agree but the weird part was just catching the ball for Zay. That's the easy part for a young receiver compared to learning the routes and getting separation

Why do you say that out of curiosity? Not saying you're wrong. Does he not believe in taking wrs in the first round or something?

They rarely maintain long term value. For every Julio Jones you have 10 Mike Williams. Spend your 1st round picks on QB, LT or a real dynamic DE or LB. You can find good wr's in any round.

50 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I just don't trust fast small wr's anymore after Goodwin. They can't absorb NFL hits. Find them in later rounds.

They rarely maintain long term value. For every Julio Jones you have 10 Mike Williams. Spend your 1st round picks on QB, LT or a real dynamic DE or LB. You can find good wr's in any round.

I agree. Just wasn't sure if McBean said something specifically

Edited by billsfan11

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Congrats, Bengals. It’s John Ross! Drafted #9 overall, Ross saw snaps in three games. He failed to catch a single pass, but did record a  lost fumble. He was a healthy scratch most of the season,  but is now on IR because he has a shoulder injury he was trying to conceal from the team. 

Rest assured, frequent “glass house” responders, this is far from shadenfraude for Bills fans. Our very own OBD insider had revealed Ross as one of the top 5 players on the Bills draft board. Yikes. 

I guess thats why McD took control of the draft and Whaley was let go soon after.

That would have been a very Billsy pick ;)

9 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I remember that too

Put him behind the Bills line and I bet things turn out a lot different....and not in a good way ;)

"Look, our drafts aren't as bad as another team"

This sort of thread is almost an annual December ritual at this point.  Who cares what other teams do in the draft of free agency? The Bills under previous GMs weren't exactly setting the world on fire with their drafts.

Regardless, it used to be draft picks weren't evaluated until after 2-3 years in the league. Now, we need to judge a player immediately either as good or a bust. 

Edited by BillsVet

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

"Look, our drafts aren't as bad as another team"

This sort of thread is almost an annual December ritual at this point.  Who cares what other teams do in the draft of free agency?  The hope is that McBeane are drafting better than their OBD predecessors and so far, Tre'White and Dion Dawkins look like a solid players. Zay Jones has improved the past few weeks but isn't outstanding either. It doesn't mean their level of play will continue to improve.

It used to be draft picks were evaluated after 2-3 years. Now, we need to judge a player immediately and either as good or a bust. Maybe it's best to let things play out for 1 more off-season before pronouncing this regime foolish or on point with their team building strategy. It's a rebuild after all regardless of what they say.

what's your evaluation of shaq lawson

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

what's your evaluation of shaq lawson

He's a base 4-3 LDE with a slow get off that plays well against the run but doesn't generate much pass rush. Not the first guy I'd replace but if I'm running McD's defense I need more pass rush ability from a starting DE.