Early returns on biggest bust of 2017 draft ...

YoloinOhio

Congrats, Bengals. It’s John Ross! Drafted #9 overall, Ross saw snaps in three games. He failed to catch a single pass, but did record a  lost fumble. He was a healthy scratch most of the season,  but is now on IR because he has a shoulder injury he was trying to conceal from the team. 

Rest assured, frequent “glass house” responders, this is far from shadenfraude for Bills fans. Our very own OBD insider had revealed Ross as one of the top 5 players on the Bills draft board. Yikes. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Zay has 25 catches for 291 and 2 TDS. 

Almost better than all 3 combined. 

Maybe the "Zay is a bust" stuff was overblown? 

Kupp and JuJu are the stars so far but it helps that they have good QBs.

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 3

To be fair to the Bengals, they had some good value picks later that have looked good - namely Mixon and Carl Lawson. But the 1st rd WRs since the Great WR draft of 2014 have been largely unimpressive. 2015 yielded Josh Doctson, Laquan Treadwell, Will Fuller. 

5 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

Most WR's take 2-3 seasons to mature... I have pointed out several times that Eric Moulds for example, sucked at first, before turning it around in his 3rd season... Zay Jones will be fine - just give him some time...

I’m pretty happy with Zay. Rough start for sure but look at his Qb situation.

12 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

It's one reason why WRs should be devalued in terms of the Draft...many of the best WRs (very, very much like TEs) some in the middle rounds.

Agree

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

To be fair to the Bengals, they had some good value picks later that have looked good - namely Mixon and Carl Lawson. But the 1st rd WRs since the Great WR draft of 2014 have been largely unimpressive. 2015 yielded Josh Doctson, Laquan Treadwell, Will Fuller. 

I’m pretty happy with Zay. Rough start for sure but look at his Qb situation.

Agree

Fuller could be a really good once Watson comes back. 

2 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Fuller could be a really good once Watson comes back. 

Yeah he’s on my fantasy team and he was pretty good when Watson was playing. His problem is availability - he’s always hurt. I do like him but not sure he’s top 15 player in that draft which is where he was taken. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Congrats, Bengals. It’s John Ross! Drafted #9 overall, Ross saw snaps in three games. He failed to catch a single pass, but did record a  lost fumble. He was a healthy scratch most of the season,  but is now on IR because he has a shoulder injury he was trying to conceal from the team. 

Rest assured, frequent “glass house” responders, this is far from shadenfraude for Bills fans. Our very own OBD insider had revealed Ross as one of the top 5 players on the Bills draft board. Yikes. 

I remember calling him a walking injury waiting to happen. He concealed injuries from his college team too. Lesson one, speed isnt everything in college. The NFL has a way of negating what you do. So if you are a one trick pony, well see ross.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

not exactly a ringing endorsement to draft a 1st round WR and expect immediate payoff.  Zay is outperforming these guys in many ways.  

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I remember when everyone thought Jared Goff was a bust.

good point, but Ross may be a 1 trick pony as another commenter noted.  Ross needs to take this time rounding himself out as an NFL receiver.  

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah he’s on my fantasy team and he was pretty good when Watson was playing. His problem is availability - he’s always hurt. I do like him but not sure he’s top 15 player in that draft which is where he was taken. 

You kept him after Watson went down? I gave him one week and dropped him. There is some truth to the availability thing, but if he and Watson maintain that chemistry next year they will continue to do damage. Of course, it's worth noting that the Texans have two first round receivers, though both were taken on the back end of round one.

5 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Zay has 25 catches for 291 and 2 TDS. 

Almost better than all 3 combined. 

Maybe the "Zay is a bust" stuff was overblown? 

Kupp and JuJu are the stars so far but it helps that they have good QBs.

In fairness, Davis, Williams and Ross all missed extended time this year. But I am happy that Zay has been given time on the field this year to work through some of his issues. Hoping he really turns it up next year.

3 minutes ago, Big C said:

You kept him after Watson went down? I gave him one week and dropped him. There is some truth to the availability thing, but if he and Watson maintain that chemistry next year they will continue to do damage. Of course, it's worth noting that the Texans have two first round receivers, though both were taken on the back end of round one.

In fairness, Davis, Williams and Ross all missed extended time this year. But I am happy that Zay has been given time on the field this year to work through some of his issues. Hoping he really turns it up next year.

No, I didn’t keep him after Watson got hurt. I was stating his problem being worth his draft slot as it stands right now is availability in general, because he’s always hurt. 

The same people who are chortling that Ross is a bust were the same clairvoyants who declared Goff an unmitigated bust last year. Players develop at different rates and contend with different circumstances.  I'd rather wait another year or two before making any declarations.