Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • SDS

      Problems logging in?   11/05/2017

      I know a few people are getting logged out too quickly. I don't have the answer to that yet.   However, one change that occurred is that there is no longer a log in name and a separate display name. The upgrade discarded the log in name and now uses the display name. So, to log in:   Username: <display name> Password: <your password>   If you need to contact me to find out what your display name is use: Contact Us  and we can get things sorted out.
Sign in to follow this  
YoloinOhio

Early returns on biggest bust of 2017 draft ...

Recommended Posts

Congrats, Bengals. It’s John Ross! Drafted #9 overall, Ross saw snaps in three games. He failed to catch a single pass, but did record a  lost fumble. He was a healthy scratch most of the season,  but is now on IR because he has a shoulder injury he was trying to conceal from the team. 

 

 

Rest assured, frequent “glass house” responders, this is far from shadenfraude for Bills fans. Our very own OBD insider had revealed Ross as one of the top 5 players on the Bills draft board. Yikes. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How does a rookie/first round draft pick hide a season ending shoulder injury from an entire NFL team staff?

tons of ibuprofen.  tons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

 

 

Zay has 25 catches for 291 and 2 TDS. 

 

Almost better than all 3 combined. 

 

Maybe the "Zay is a bust" stuff was overblown? 

 

Kupp and JuJu are the stars so far but it helps that they have good QBs.

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As per Leroi, Bills had Ross as a top 5 prospect and 2nd WR behind Cory Davis. Luckily they thought Tre White was comparable enough to Lattimore to trade the pick and still get a good CB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most WR's take 2-3 seasons to mature... I have pointed out several times that Eric Moulds for example, sucked at first, before turning it around in his 3rd season... Zay Jones will be fine - just give him some time...

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair to the Bengals, they had some good value picks later that have looked good - namely Mixon and Carl Lawson. But the 1st rd WRs since the Great WR draft of 2014 have been largely unimpressive. 2015 yielded Josh Doctson, Laquan Treadwell, Will Fuller. 

 

5 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

Most WR's take 2-3 seasons to mature... I have pointed out several times that Eric Moulds for example, sucked at first, before turning it around in his 3rd season... Zay Jones will be fine - just give him some time...

 

I’m pretty happy with Zay. Rough start for sure but look at his Qb situation.

12 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

It's one reason why WRs should be devalued in terms of the Draft...many of the best WRs (very, very much like TEs) some in the middle rounds.

Agree

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

To be fair to the Bengals, they had some good value picks later that have looked good - namely Mixon and Carl Lawson. But the 1st rd WRs since the Great WR draft of 2014 have been largely unimpressive. 2015 yielded Josh Doctson, Laquan Treadwell, Will Fuller. 

 

I’m pretty happy with Zay. Rough start for sure but look at his Qb situation.

Agree

Fuller could be a really good once Watson comes back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Fuller could be a really good once Watson comes back. 

Yeah he’s on my fantasy team and he was pretty good when Watson was playing. His problem is availability - he’s always hurt. I do like him but not sure he’s top 15 player in that draft which is where he was taken. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Congrats, Bengals. It’s John Ross! Drafted #9 overall, Ross saw snaps in three games. He failed to catch a single pass, but did record a  lost fumble. He was a healthy scratch most of the season,  but is now on IR because he has a shoulder injury he was trying to conceal from the team. 

 

 

Rest assured, frequent “glass house” responders, this is far from shadenfraude for Bills fans. Our very own OBD insider had revealed Ross as one of the top 5 players on the Bills draft board. Yikes. 

I remember calling him a walking injury waiting to happen. He concealed injuries from his college team too. Lesson one, speed isnt everything in college. The NFL has a way of negating what you do. So if you are a one trick pony, well see ross.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

 

 

not exactly a ringing endorsement to draft a 1st round WR and expect immediate payoff.  Zay is outperforming these guys in many ways.  

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I remember when everyone thought Jared Goff was a bust.

 

good point, but Ross may be a 1 trick pony as another commenter noted.  Ross needs to take this time rounding himself out as an NFL receiver.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah he’s on my fantasy team and he was pretty good when Watson was playing. His problem is availability - he’s always hurt. I do like him but not sure he’s top 15 player in that draft which is where he was taken. 

 

You kept him after Watson went down? I gave him one week and dropped him. There is some truth to the availability thing, but if he and Watson maintain that chemistry next year they will continue to do damage. Of course, it's worth noting that the Texans have two first round receivers, though both were taken on the back end of round one.

5 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

 

Zay has 25 catches for 291 and 2 TDS. 

 

Almost better than all 3 combined. 

 

Maybe the "Zay is a bust" stuff was overblown? 

 

Kupp and JuJu are the stars so far but it helps that they have good QBs.

 

In fairness, Davis, Williams and Ross all missed extended time this year. But I am happy that Zay has been given time on the field this year to work through some of his issues. Hoping he really turns it up next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Big C said:

 

You kept him after Watson went down? I gave him one week and dropped him. There is some truth to the availability thing, but if he and Watson maintain that chemistry next year they will continue to do damage. Of course, it's worth noting that the Texans have two first round receivers, though both were taken on the back end of round one.

 

In fairness, Davis, Williams and Ross all missed extended time this year. But I am happy that Zay has been given time on the field this year to work through some of his issues. Hoping he really turns it up next year.

No, I didn’t keep him after Watson got hurt. I was stating his problem being worth his draft slot as it stands right now is availability in general, because he’s always hurt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The same people who are chortling that Ross is a bust were the same clairvoyants who declared Goff an unmitigated bust last year. Players develop at different rates and contend with different circumstances.  I'd rather wait another year or two before making any declarations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I remember when everyone thought Jared Goff was a bust.

No. 

 

If people thought so after he played 7 games with a terrible head coach and no offensive weapons they should re assess their life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

No. 

 

If people thought so after he played 7 games with a terrible head coach and no offensive weapons they should re assess their life.

 

Based on this premise, we have many people here that need to reassess their lives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×