Do you remember the first football game you went too?

Another Fan

21 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Bills 1969 home opener vs Joe Namath and the Jets at War Memorial. Kemp was QB. Bills lost 33-19 I think.

I was 10 and my 16 year old sister and I walked from the Broadway-Fillmore area where we lived to Jefferson and Best. It was a gorgeous day and as we got closer there were more and more folks walking along with us.

I recall the scramble during every FG or XP to catch the football. They didn't have nets then.

My first was also Joe Namath and the Jets at War Memorial.  It might have actually been this game.  I was extremely young and only remember one thing from the experience - we were close to the field, not sure if it was warmups - I remember it was muddy, and my Dad earnestly said something to the effect "Look over there, that's Joe Namath.  Remember that you saw him, he's very famous"

did not read whole thread, but mine was at the Rockpile as well. Cold as hell outside, had to pay someone $5 "to watch our car"..kid my age right in front of me carrying his ticket in his hand had it snatched. To this day my ticket is always in my front pocket with hand on it LOL.

Remeber pleading with my uncle and father to let me and my brother go to the endzone and try to catch a football after the kick..no dice

18 hours ago, ticketssince61 said:

That was my 2nd game. Lost 29 to 7

In 1968 I was 6 years old.

I still vividly remember my father RIP saying "I think it's time you go to a Bills game. How about Joe Namath and the Jets"

Won 37-35. Bills had 3 pick sixes against Joe Willie - including one over 100 yards by Tom Janik.

That was the only game we won that year

Awesome 1st Game. Yes, Namath threw 3 Pick 6’s in our lone win of the season, while the Jets went on to win the Super Bowl in January. That was our bragging rights that year. Well that, and being bad enough to draft OJ!

Oilers 95 I THINK. I wasnt really a football fan yet but a coach gave me his 2 tickets and my uncle took me.  I remember the talk that they weren't going to play Thurman unless he wanted his 1k yards. I also remember Russell Copeland getting blown up on a punt return. 

On 12/7/2017 at 11:02 AM, frostbitmic said:

1971 Baltimore Colts @ Buffalo Bills at the old rockpile.

We had goal line seats which would've been great at the other end of the field. The Bills lost 43-0 and every point scored except for one FG was at the other end. I was thrilled though because I was a Baltimore Colts fan. That ended when they moved to Indianapolis.

This was also my first Bills game...and only game I saw at the rockpile.  I went with my dad and some other people.  I remember sitting in the "concrete steps for seats" endzone, where about twice as many people jammed into a row.

• Like (+1) 1

I can't remember the exact year, but I know it was in the early 80s.  I was about 30 years old.  It was a Monday night game versus the Jets.  The Bills were terrible, which made for a terrible game.  It was a sellout, so Rich Stadium was filled with angry fans.  There were no restrictions on beer sales at the stadium, so fans were not only angry.  A lot of them were drunk and angry.  I don't drink, but I think I could almost have gotten drunk on beer fumes that night.  Fans were throwing full cups of beer through the air.  There were fights all around.  The Bills initiated limits on alcohol sales after that game.  It was terrible beyond belief.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197011080buf.htm

Bills vs Bengals at the Rockpile.  This was a present for my 8th birthday.  We were in maybe the 2nd or 3rd row behind the Bills bench.  OJ injured a knee during a kickoff return just before halftime, and they brought him off the field right in front of us.  The team folded after that and we got outscored 20-0 in the 2nd half.

I still have the penant somewhere.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ
  • Like (+1) 2

On 12/7/2017 at 10:52 AM, DocLawless said:

My first NFL game/Bills game was in 1995 when I was 10 years old. Saw the Bills beat the Falcons at Rich Stadium. At the end of the game Jim Kelly threw an interception and then arm tackled the guy who was returning the pick, and it turned out to be a freak accident and he compound fractured his leg. 

I remember that!!! Sideline hit.I was 11 watching on Tv

• Like (+1) 1

first game was jets vs browns (kosar browns and they heavy fav's-the jets beat em, hariltity ensued in the parking lot after the game with jet fans ragging on the brown fans) first bills game, the week after the jets's byrd was paralyzed, they played the bills-bills were heavy favs in that game, but you could just see their hearts were not in it, they basically let the jets win.

great question btw

The first one I remember was at Shea Stadium with my Dad around '83.  Joe Cribbs caught the winning TD right in front of us in the last minute.

Some douchy old Jets fans was irritated that the seats next to him got sold to Bills fans.  Haha

I went to a Bills practice at Rich Stadium before Kelley showed up.

Wish I could remember my first game but I can't, I've probably only been to about 20-30 Bills games, stopped going in the early 2000's.  iirc my last game was a Redskins game, Bills won, forgot the year...

The game I remember most was the comeback game, almost left at halftime.

3 hours ago, DocLawless said:

Are you saying that Jim Kelly meant to break his leg on an arm tackle? Maybe I am misunderstanding you. 

I am just saying Jim was a bad ass. How many QBs tackle the guy that intercepted his pass? Actually if I remember correctly he shoved him out of bounds 

Edited by bmur66
  • Like (+1) 1

Bills-Colts, I want to say '96 or '97. I was either Six or seven at the time. Bills were down 26-0 and came back to win. I think Alex Van Pelt played QB for the Bills that day. And thus began my love of the Bills, and all of the resulting misery. ?‍♂️ 

Edited by CLTbills

On 12/7/2017 at 7:48 PM, HOUSE said:

Oakland -Bills 1968, GOODBYE COLLIER

This is my earliest game memory too.  Biggest impression was how dingy and depressing the stadium was and then to catch a glimpse of the bright green field and to see the Bills uniforms in color instead of B&W. Bills lost 48-6. 

Edited by WotAGuy