Do you remember the first football game you went too?

Another Fan

2 hours ago, nucci said:

September '69 vs Broncos

OJ Simpson got his first 100 yard game!

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Tom Janik says hi. I was a gopher in the press box at the time. All of nine years old and lovin life.

What an awesome pick! I met Janik, what a great guy!

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/The-Top-10-Coldest-games-in-Bills-history/25ded906-a507-4e3f-955d-2490123ae81d

"2. Dec. 26th 1993 – vs. N.Y. Jets, 9 degrees, wind chill of minus-28
It was a tightly contested back and forth game in the bitter cold of Orchard Park. Jim Kelly led a 10-play 71-yard drive to open the game that was capped by a two-yard Thurman Thomas touchdown run. The Jets answered with a touchdown drive of their own with a 24-yard TD pass from Boomer Esiason to Johnny Johnson to tie it late in the first quarter (7-7).  From there three Buffalo turnovers helped keep the game close for New York as they posted a pair of interceptions and a fumble recovery. Former Bills receiver Chris Burkett gave the Jets their only lead of the game in the third quarter on a six-yard touchdown catch from Esiason (14-13).  Steve Christie’s third field goal of the day however, would prove to be the winning points as he hit from 40 yards away with 3:48 left. Cary Blanchard had a shot to win it for the Jets with under a minute to play, but missed a 42-yard attempt to give the Bills a 16-14 victory and their fifth AFC East title in six years."

I had bought the tickets for my family as a Christmas present.  Blanchard missed a few kicks that day, IIRC.  I can remember the punts, kickoffs, and FGs/FG attempts that day echoing with a dull "thunk" sound throughout the stadium and thinking that has GOT to hurt.  Was drinking hot chocolate and whiskey poured from a thermos to a styrofoam cup at the game, and if you didn't finish it within a minute or two it turned into a slushy.  Froze my goddamn right foot.  Walked a mile to the parking lot afterward on what felt like a stump cut off at my ankle, and when the feeling finally started to come back on the ride home it felt like someone was holding a blow torch to it.  Good times.

It’s funny, I clearly remember all the buses, people, cars parking in yards and walking up to the stadium, but not the game itself. All those game day memories when I was so young in the mid 60’s run together. But the first time seeing all those people and walking up to the main gates was bigger than life. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bullpen said:

1979 Bills versus the Bears. Bears won 7-0. Eight year old me, should have taken that as a sign for the overall mediocrity I was going to live with most of my life!  :lol:  I did get to see Walter Payton play in person though, so there's that.

October 7 1979 Walter Payton jump over the pile in the fourth quarter for a bears win.I was eight years old and my dad took me to my first bills game.

Dec 12, 2004 against Cleveland.  Every year my wife would go for a girls weekend and I would make sure to get a Leafs ticket if they were in town that weekend.

That was the year of the NHL lockout & I was looking for something to do, so I grabbed a single seat for my first Bills game.  Soon as I saw the place I was hooked.  The flags flying, the unique vehicles all dressed up for game day, smoke rising all over the place, people just flat out having a good time (some of them just flat out).   I was amazed at how friendly most people were.  Being on my own and being against Cleveland I had no trouble moving to different seats all around the stadium.   Sat in my actual seat (40 yard line front row - hated it) ultimately ended up in the upper deck corner talking with some Browns fans. 

Called the Bills ticket office that week and got my first season tickets. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, The Poojer said:

might not be the first, but the first i went to 'by myself'.  In the early 70's i loved Fran Tarkenton....Minnesota came to Buffalo for a snow game(Chuck Foreman hurdled over a snowball that was thrown).  I was in 7th Grade at AV Zogg MS in Liverpool.  My folks let me leave school early, put me on a greyhound, made me sit directly behind the bus driver.  Took the bus to buffalo, my Aunt and Uncle picked me up.  We went to the game in their season tickets, and there i was in my Purple and Gold toque.  I loved the Bills, but Tark was my man!  One of my fondest memories

http://www.twincities.com/2014/10/15/vikings-chuck-foreman-still-struck-by-75-snowball-fiasco/

I was actually at that game, too, with a grade school friend of mine--we were so wrapped up in snowmobile suits that we looked like Ralphie's brother on "A Christmas Story".  How we got to pee that day without it taking a full quarter to take it all off and put it all on, I'll never know.

My actual first game, however, was during the last year at the Rockpile.  We saw Johnny U stomp us 17-0, the same score of my second game against Miami the following year.  It was only at my 3rd game one further year later (one game a year--our big annual father-son Bills game trip) that I actually saw them score.  A 16-7 or so victory over the Dick Butkus-led Bears.

Our seats for my first game were in the very top row of War Memorial Stadium--I could literally look over the back to the street below.

Other than the losing, good times, man, good times.....

First football game was CFL Ticats vs Alouettes in 1979 in Hamilton. An incredible game where the Ticats scored on a long punt return TD and then the Als took the ensuing kickoff back for TD. First Bills game was in 1983 vs the Saints when my dad took me on his engineering company's party bus. As a  naïve 15 year old I was astonished by how much those guys could drink, they were completely wasted. The Bills eked out a victory but Saints threw a couple of hail Mary's right near the end and almost got a lucky TD. On the way home the drunken engineers forced the bus driver to pull over on the side of the QEW so they could take a massive communal pee at the roadside.

Bills Redskins 1996, the last hurrah for the Jim Kelly Marv Levy era...I think the Redskins were like 7-1 or something like that heading into the game and we kicked their ass that night(pretty sure it was a night game? or it definitely had to have been at least a 4pm start) but I was hooked for life after that one and forever thankful I at least got to see one glory years era Bills game even if I was pretty young and the team was already past it's prime at that point.

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I was at that game!  I remember it was freezing....but as a kid I still loved every second of it.

I was at this game and the score was 21-21. I was on the bills sideline with chief bills photographer Robert L Smith.  I was a young buck

5 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Bills hosted the St Louis Cardinals in 1971.  Alvin Wyatt returned a punt for a TD.

The guy had the strangest face mask 

2 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

1980. Dolphins. First and last. And i remember absolutely nothing. I was 7.

I ran on the field for that game

Taking a bus from Sunnyside restaurant to the rockpile

Barely remember my first Bills game at the Rockpile. The only thing I really remember was it was against the Patriots and stupid freezing cold & the place would go nuts everytime OJ would have a good run. 

My first game at Rich stadium was pretty similar but everyone would stand & stomp the aluminum bench seats while chanting, "JUICE, JUICE, JUICE, JUICE".  I remember thinking that it could be heard for at least a mile.  

Went to my first game in 91 or 92, i was only 9 years old or so and was just overwhelmed by the experience and atmosphere that I honestly cwnt remember anything about the actual game! I was in complete awe over everything going on...

First game I actually remember was December 17, 1995 Bills vs Dolphins... It was cold and it was miserable. It was a blizzard that day, and you would literally freeze to your seat. It was difficult to enjoy the game but I roughed it out! It was my 13th birthday present! Oh and the Bills won 23-20