Do you remember the first football game you went too?

Another Fan

1979 Bills versus the Bears. Bears won 7-0. Eight year old me, should have taken that as a sign for the overall mediocrity I was going to live with most of my life!  :lol:  I did get to see Walter Payton play in person though, so there's that.

1983 Monday Night Football against the Jets.  Broke the record for most arrests and ejections in Rich Stadium history.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1983/10/04/Thirty-nine-people-were-arrested-and-another-375-fans-were/4885434088000/

My Dad was supposed to babysit me that night (it was shortly before my 5th birthday) while my Mom was at work.  He got a call around dinnertime from my uncle saying he had two extra tickets.  He knew my Mom would be furious that he took a 4 year old to a 9:00pm game, but he couldn't pass it up.  Left a note on the kitchen table and off we went.  I remember walking through the tunnel and seeing the bright green turf for the first time and it was almost sparkling from the lights.  Stadium was absolutely packed and very rowdy.  The Bills got destroyed from the start, but I fell in love with Bills football that day because of the experience.

My uncle's friend was smashed before we entered the stadium.  Sometime during the first half he left to use the bathroom and never came back.  After the game we wandered around the stadium looking for him and we finally found him asleep on a toilet...lol.

Oh yeah, Mom was pissed when we got home!!!!

• Like (+1) 3

My first game was the 1st preseason game at the then new Rich Stadium. My dad used to take my brothers and I on bike rides down to watch them build the stadium. We grew up in the village of Orchard Park. Then to actually go there for the first game played there was beyond what a boy could ever imagine!

Then, later in the 70's I went to a Monday Night game when someone had a big picture of Howard Cossell's head superimposed on a picture of a baby on a bearskin rug. Howard stuck his head out of the press box and waved. The place went nuts!!

My memory is vague.   1973.  First year in the new stadium.  OJ's having a good first half but a frustrating one, too.  The crowd gets on its feet a few times as he looks like he's about to break one.  But shoestring tackles hold him to modest gains. 

It seems like only a matter of time before he breaks free but instead OJ gets hurt and doesn't play the second half. 

Sadly, I've  forgotten the opponent but I bet someone hear remembers the game I'm talking about.  

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Bills 1969 home opener vs Joe Namath and the Jets at War Memorial. Kemp was QB. Bills lost 33-19 I think.

I was 10 and my 16 year old sister and I walked from the Broadway-Fillmore area where we lived to Jefferson and Best. It was a gorgeous day and as we got closer there were more and more folks walking along with us.

I recall the scramble during every FG or XP to catch the football. They didn't have nets then.

IIRC, we had an All Rookie backfield start the game with James Harris QB, Bill Enyart FB & OJ. We tied them @ 19 early in the 4th, but couldn’t stop Joe Willie.

i actually don’t remember much of my 1st game vs.  Denver mid ‘60’s. But fond end zone memories of a blizzard game vs Cinci in ‘67. By ‘73, I attended regularly til I bought season tickets starting in ‘87 through ‘95.

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

1971 Baltimore Colts @ Buffalo Bills at the old rockpile.

We had goal line seats which would've been great at the other end of the field. The Bills lost 43-0 and every point scored except for one FG was at the other end. I was thrilled though because I was a Baltimore Colts fan. That ended when they moved to Indianapolis.

I was at that game too!

I remember the Fire Department taking some guy out on a stretcher in the section next to where we were sitting.

Came to find out it was a teacher of mine's husband, he had a heart attack.

1st regular season game was the year before, LA Rams (another shutout).

First game was a preseason game in the late 60's.  I think it was Detroit Lions.

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

My memory is vague.   1973.  First year in the new stadium.  OJ's having a good first half but a frustrating one, too.  The crowd gets on its feet a few times as he looks like he's about to break one.  But shoestring tackles hold him to modest gains. 

It seems like only a matter of time before he breaks free but instead OJ gets hurt and doesn't play the second half. 

Sadly, I've  forgotten the opponent but I bet someone hear remembers the game I'm talking about.  

His low game at home in '73 was 20 carries for 99 yards vs. Cincy. He gained 1,055 yards in 7 home games that season.  He wasn't injured that season. He did get hurt in '74. 

My first game was 1970 vs. Rams, they lost 19-0. Dan Darragh started at QB, Dennis Shaw came in for him. The thing I remember was that at some point in first half they got sacked and had some penalties and ended up 4th and over 40 yards to go. I think that was when John Rauch was using OJ as a decoy. 

• Like (+1) 1

1966 Home opener versus the Chiefs and they got bomber 42 - 20; second game January 1st 1967 for the AFL Championship against the Chiefs; winner went to the first Super Bowl.  Chiefs again trounced the Bills 31 - 7, I was 0 and 2 my first year.

4 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

His low game at home in '73 was 20 carries for 99 yards vs. Cincy. He gained 1,055 yards in 7 home games that season.  He wasn't injured that season. He did get hurt in '74. 

My first game was 1970 vs. Rams, they lost 19-0. Dan Darragh started at QB, Dennis Shaw came in for him. The thing I remember was that at some point in first half they got sacked and had some penalties and ended up 4th and over 40 yards to go. I think that was when John Rauch was using OJ as a decoy. 

I was at this game; pretty ugly!

3 minutes ago, vorpma said:

1966 Home opener versus the Chiefs and they got bomber 42 - 20; second game January 1st 1967 for the AFL Championship against the Chiefs; winner went to the first Super Bowl.  Chiefs again trounced the Bills 31 - 7, I was 0 and 2 my first year.

I was at this game; pretty ugly!

I had to wait until my 3rd game to finally see the Bills score a point!

1971 Home opener against the Cowboys.

We lost but it was a great high scoring game!

Home opener 1985 vs. the Chargers.  Bills lost 14-9.  Somehow my Grandparents got seats on the 35 yard line, about 12 or so rows up.  I'll never forget how different it looked in person rather than on TV.  I was 12 then.  Vince Farregamo (sp?) was quarterback.