Do you remember the first football game you went too?

Another Fan

It was actually the Jets for me as they were the local team.  My Dad took me to a pro game as a birthday present when I was around 12.

They played the Rams that day.  It was during the Rich Kotite era.  I remember they lost and the game went to 4:30 for some reason even though there was no overtime.

I remember as well a helicopter flying over the stadium advertising condoms.  :D

might not be the first, but the first i went to 'by myself'.  In the early 70's i loved Fran Tarkenton....Minnesota came to Buffalo for a snow game(Chuck Foreman hurdled over a snowball that was thrown).  I was in 7th Grade at AV Zogg MS in Liverpool.  My folks let me leave school early, put me on a greyhound, made me sit directly behind the bus driver.  Took the bus to buffalo, my Aunt and Uncle picked me up.  We went to the game in their season tickets, and there i was in my Purple and Gold toque.  I loved the Bills, but Tark was my man!  One of my fondest memories

http://www.twincities.com/2014/10/15/vikings-chuck-foreman-still-struck-by-75-snowball-fiasco/

Edited by The Poojer

Early 1980s (maybe 1982) at Rich Stadium, as a birthday gift.  My dad took me to see the Bills vs Houston Oilers.  Saw Earl Campbell play, and remember the entire stadium booing Joe Ferguson as he was introduced and ran onto the field.

Season opener of the 1994 season against the Jets.   My Grandfather took my brother, my rabid Jets fan Uncle, and I.  We ate PBJ for tailgate, the Bills lost 23-3 and someone spilled a beer on my brother's head.   I dont remember a thing about the game, but fondly remember the names being spewed at my Uncle walking back through the parking lot.

1984 Bills Broncos. John Elway got hurt early in the game and Gary Kubiak came in and stomped the Bills that day. There were about 25000 fans that showed up for the game and you could sit just about anywhere you wanted. It was the first of the back to back 2-14 seasons and a sports writer from the day called Buffalo an NFL wasteland. I wish that I could still go to the games but due to health issues, I can not. Oh, by the way, the last game I attended was about 6 years and I was dogged by security the whole time I was parked in the handicapped parking lot even though I had my handicap thing hanging in my car. Some the of the guards were just plain nasty about it.I finally had to tell them to go :censored:themselves and leave me alone after being threatened to have my car towed for the 4th time. 

Edited by The Monk

My first NFL game/Bills game was in 1995 when I was 10 years old. Saw the Bills beat the Falcons at Rich Stadium. At the end of the game Jim Kelly threw an interception and then arm tackled the guy who was returning the pick, and it turned out to be a freak accident and he compound fractured his leg. 

I was 11 in 1987 when I noticed the Bills and the NFL, in 1988 I fell in love with the Bills.  So when my family was planning a trip to visit our cousins in the Boston area in 1989 I hounded my dad to plan the trip around a time when the Bills played the Patriots (at this point I was living in the Adirondacks, 4 1/2 hours from Rich stadium.)  He obliged.  SO my first football game was at the old foxboro during the bickering Bills season.  Buffalo was 7-3 and the Patriots were 3-7.  I remember being surprised by how many Bills fans were there and even felt a little sorry for the young pats fan and his dad sitting in front of me when the Bills raced out to a 24-7 lead.....They would lose the game 33-24.  I was miserable the rest of the trip.  Fortunately we made the playoffs that season and then would go on to the next four Super Bowls after that.  I never went back to Foxboro but we would start taking bus trips out to Buffalo all through the 90's.  The first time I stepped into Rich Stadium I was in awe.  

Bills 1969 home opener vs Joe Namath and the Jets at War Memorial. Kemp was QB. Bills lost 33-19 I think.

I was 10 and my 16 year old sister and I walked from the Broadway-Fillmore area where we lived to Jefferson and Best. It was a gorgeous day and as we got closer there were more and more folks walking along with us.

I recall the scramble during every FG or XP to catch the football. They didn't have nets then.

1971 Baltimore Colts @ Buffalo Bills at the old rockpile.

We had goal line seats which would've been great at the other end of the field. The Bills lost 43-0 and every point scored except for one FG was at the other end. I was thrilled though because I was a Baltimore Colts fan. That ended when they moved to Indianapolis.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

1971 Baltimore Colts @ Buffalo Bills at the old rockpile.

We had goal line seats which would've been great at the other end of the field. The Bills lost 43-0 and every point scored except for one FG was at the other end. I was thrilled though because I was a Baltimore Colts fan. That ended when they moved to Indianapolis.

That's how things always worked out for me too. I would sit in the tunnel end and all the scoring would be at the other end of the field and vice versa. :lol: 

Bills vs lions.

Had breakfast with Jim kelly at the Sheraton before the game. I was 5, asked Jim how he throws so good.  Jim gave my uncle a ball before the game. 

Lions won iirc but i did get to see barry sanders.

5 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

The game where Losman came in for an ineffective Holcomb and went on to throw a pair of deep bombs to Evans for TD's.

Cheifs game? 

Yes. I was a little kid and my Dad took me to an Eagles home game. I knew nothing about football and I apparently cheered for the wrong team when they scored. I was scarred for life. All I remember was drunks and people yelling.

32 minutes ago, DocLawless said:

My first NFL game/Bills game was in 1995 when I was 10 years old. Saw the Bills beat the Falcons at Rich Stadium. At the end of the game Jim Kelly threw an interception and then arm tackled the guy who was returning the pick, and it turned out to be a freak accident and he compound fractured his leg. 

That wasn't a freak accident. That was Jim Kelly.