How many QB’s go in the first round

Dkollidas

I would put the over/under at 4 or 4.5, and I’d take the over, especially if Darnold comes out.

Rosen

Darnold

Mayfield

Jackson

Allen

Rudolph

I think at least the first 5 will go in the top 32 for sure. With Rudolph it just depends how many go ahead of him and who comes out for the draft. 

3 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Looks like the Bills will have a shot at a good qb. Hope they don't have to trade up to get him.

I think that the Bills will unfortunately probably have to part ways with that second 1st round pick to get the QB that they're targeting. Looking at the current draft order it looks like Tampa Bay would be the spot to try to get to at #8 (which would be ahead of teams needing QBs like the Jets, Cardinals and Redskins). The price to go very high, like a top 5 pick, would I'm sure be too rich for them. I don't see them waiting to see if their QB falls to them.

6 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I would put the over/under at 4 or 4.5, and I’d take the over, especially if Darnold comes out.

Rosen

Darnold

Mayfield

Jackson

Allen

Rudolph

I think at least the first 5 will go in the top 32 for sure. With Rudolph it just depends how many go ahead of him and who comes out for the draft. 

I'd take the over too. I know some of the sheen has come off of this class, but I still really like it. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up almost comparable to 1983 with 5 or 6 QBs taken in Round 1 and maybe 3 of them turning into franchise players, if not HOFers. If I had to guess, I'd say Allen doesn't actually get taken in R1, but gets snapped up in R2. I think the other five you list have a good chance of going in R1 or at least early R2. I would be pretty happy with any of them except for Allen.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

1 hour ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

I'd take the over too. I know some of the sheen has come off of this class, but I still really like it. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up almost comparable to 1983 with 5 or 6 QBs taken in Round 1 and maybe 3 of them turning into franchise players, if not HOFers. If I had to guess, I'd say Allen doesn't actually get taken in R1, but gets snapped up in R2. I think the other five you list have a good chance of going in R1 or at least early R2. I would be pretty happy with any of them except for Allen.

And just like 83, we have what could be a pair of first rounders in early teens.

9 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Rosen

Darnold

Mayfield

Jackson

Allen

Rudolph

I agree with your surmise and also the ranking of the qbs so you must be right;)

16 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I think that exact list from the OP goes in the 1st, but probably in this order: Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Jackson, Rudolph. 

I think Wentz's success coming from North Dakota State only helps Allen's stock and teams will not judge him based on his play, but his potential (which scares me a bit). 

If measurables outrank performance, Allen could go third.  I am ambivalent about him, but I definitely would rather take a risk his accuracy improves over taking Rudolph, so I half expect Rudolph is the fella we end up with.  As is, I am guessing Rosen and Darnold (if he comes out) are gone before we pick.  I just don't see the Browns and Giants trading out.

Edited by Dr. Who

25 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

If measurables outrank performance, Allen could go third.  I am ambivalent about him, but I definitely would rather take a risk his accuracy improves over taking Rudolph, so I half expect Rudolph is the fella we end up with.  As is, I am guessing Rosen and Darnold (if he comes out) are gone before we pick.  I just don't see the Browns and Giants trading out.

I disagree in that I'd rather not place my bet on a QB's accuracy improving. 

I honestly have not scouted the QBs all that much - what do you see as the negatives for Rudolph?

I'm not sure we need the Browns or Giants to trade out. If we can find a way to trade up to SF's #3 overall pick (for which we do have the draft capital), then we are guaranteed one of Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield. 

2 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I honestly have not scouted the QBs all that much - what do you see as the negatives for Rudolph?

I'm not sure we need the Browns or Giants to trade out. If we can find a way to trade up to SF's #3 overall pick (for which we do have the draft capital), then we are guaranteed one of Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield. 

IMO that just isn't going to happen in this draft because it's a "QB draft" and the asking price to go from #3 to #19 (with even a 2nd first round pick) would basically be for the Bills to give up their their whole draft.

It's more realistic to think the Bills would try to sneak into a position ahead of the Jets and still have some decent picks left over to build around a QB like Mayfield, Rudolph or Allen.

50 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Yes, I stated I was ambivalent.  I mainly  prefer Allen to Rudolph.  I would like the other qbs listed better than both.

Rudolph is big, but his arm is just average.  His decision making is not strong, imo.  He benefits from a conference that generally does not play good defense and a wr corps with a number of future pros.

16 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Yes, I stated I was ambivalent.  I mainly  prefer Allen to Rudolph.  I would like the other qbs listed better than both.

Rudolph is big, but his arm is just average.  His decision making is not strong, imo.  He benefits from a conference that generally does not play good defense and a wr corps with a number of future pros.

Agree with this wholeheartedly.

I believe they’ll try to go after Darnold if he comes out, he seems like a McDermott kind of guy (would “gritty” be the right word?)

2 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

Agree with this wholeheartedly.

I believe they’ll try to go after Darnold if he comes out, he seems like a McDermott kind of guy (would “gritty” be the right word?)

I think the only way to get Darnold would be an unlikely Eli-type draft scenario. He refuses the Browns so we finagle a way to get them their second choice for a price.  

29 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think the only way to get Darnold would be an unlikely Eli-type draft scenario. He refuses the Browns so we finagle a way to get them their second choice for a price.  

I have a feeling Cleveland will go for Rosen. Just a hunch. He seems more ready to start immediately, and will battle Kizer for the job. And who knows, if they fired the GM and Hue Jackson likes McCarron enough, maybe they go for him, Draft Barkley #1 and wait till their pick from the Texans if they like a guy like Mayfield.  Could definitely see them going the “Dallas/Jacksonville” route, or even trading down with a team like the Bills, and they’d have potentially 3 1st’s and 3 2nd’s this year. That’s 6 guys to inject into a really really bad lineup immediately. They might believe that they need that much more talent before they can take a QB. Remember, this is the Browns. 

2 hours ago, 1billsfan said:

IMO that just isn't going to happen in this draft because it's a "QB draft" and the asking price to go from #3 to #19 (with even a 2nd first round pick) would basically be for the Bills to give up their their whole draft.

Two firsts this year, a first next year, and maybe a mid rounder somewhere.  If the Bills have a QB graded out to be a solid 15 year starter, they can give up every pick for all I care. I'll go to bed happy that night and not worry about the draft for the rest of the weekend...like the fans of most of the perennially good teams in the league.

5 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I have a feeling Cleveland will go for Rosen. Just a hunch. He seems more ready to start immediately, and will battle Kizer for the job. And who knows, if they fired the GM and Hue Jackson likes McCarron enough, maybe they go for him, Draft Barkley #1 and wait till their pick from the Texans if they like a guy like Mayfield.  Could definitely see them going the “Dallas/Jacksonville” route, or even trading down with a team like the Bills, and they’d have potentially 3 1st’s and 3 2nd’s this year. That’s 6 guys to inject into a really really bad lineup immediately. They might believe that they need that much more talent before they can take a QB. Remember, this is the Browns. 

Do you think the Bills are a qb away or do they need a lot more talent as well? The o line, d line, lb, wr etc all need infusion of talent for next year. Who is the guaranteed star qb to bet this draft on?  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.