The Best Buffalo Bills Player To Be "Wasted" In The Drought

BuffaloRush

22 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

Lesean freaking HOF McCoy

I'm not sure where this Hall of Fame Lesean McCoy thing came from. From Pro Football Reference, McCoy's top comparables:

Delvin Williams, Terry Metcalf, Wendell Tyler, Joe Cribbs, Chris Warren, Curt Warner, John Brockington, Sam Cunningham, Paul Lowe, Sherman Smith

Fine running backs, all of them. Not a Hall of Famer to be found among them. Not even really a good argument to be made for any of them. 

Remember when our backfield included a young McGahee and Travis Henry. We could have built an explosive offense around them and ended this drought over a decade ago.

Actually, looking at the 2004 roster, it makes no sense we didn't make the playoffs that year and start building a dynasty. I'd take something similar to that roster again in a heartbeat. 

Edited by DisplacedBillsFan

15 minutes ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

Remember when our backfield included a young McGahee and Travis Henry. We could have built an explosive offense around them and ended this drought over a decade ago.

Actually, looking at the 2004 roster, it makes no sense we didn't make the playoffs that year and start building a dynasty. I'd take something similar to that roster again in a heartbeat. 

OK, you made me look.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2004.htm  Yep, that has to have been the most talented Bills team since the (AFC) dynasty teams.  And it all came down to losing to the Steelers' scrubs. That was literally an "only the Bills" moment.

4 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Preach!!

The player we wasted during the drought? Easy. Paul Posluzny.  MLB that could have stayed on our team for ten years...he's still playing and playing well.  MLB is the QB of the defense. Too bad we let him leave.

Less obvious choice: Eric Lee  

I saw that Poz had about a dozen tackles for the Jags last week.  For us? Too slow. Too injury prone.

17 hours ago, corta765 said:

If were going actual production and not just talent/potential I would go in this order:

1. London Fletcher (Dude might make the HOF)

2. LeSean McCoy (Recent but dear god is he good)

3. Kyle Williams (Enough said)

4. Fred Jackson (Enough said)

I understand those who would say Marshawn Lynch but he really made his mark more in Seattle.

NOW If we going off of talent regardless of if they actually hit their full potential my list looks like this:

1. CJ Spiller (He had one season where we saw what he really could do and before and after that season Chan couldn't out how to use him enough. I really believe had he had the proper coach and injuries didn't effect him the guy could've been an all time great. Different team and offense and I believe his story is far different)

2. Kyle Williams (If he wasn't in Buffalo aon a team that makes the playoffs a lot he might be in the discussion for the HOF some day. His numbers were always good and his play had almost zero drop off for a decade)

3. Eric Wood (When an offense is good and the QB play is good the line gets credit fair or not. Wood has always played at a pretty high level and with a better QB I think it would've enhanced his career)

4. Antoine Winfield (BUF completely botched this thinking Nate Clements was the better player and not wanting to pay him money to stay here. Clements was decent, but Winfield turned into a Pro Bowl CB and had a far longer more productive career. If the Bills had kept Winfield they don't end up drafting McKelvin because Clements leaving after 06 forced that draft pick and wasn't worth the money he wanted, Winfield was.)

I was going to nominate Spiller as I also think that other than that one season he wasn't used properly.  I thought he should've been used like the Saints used Sproles. Then, after Buffalo, he spent time with the Saints, back with Gailey with the Jets, in KC with Reid, etc. and still wasn't very productive.  

11 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Chris Hogan and Aaron Williams. It is clear to me that our players's value cannot be properly assessed with the garbage we have had at QB and previous coaches.

This is just wrong. 

Hogan hasn't even been great with the best QB of all time. Williams plays defense and was a bust as a corner turned to serviceable safety. 

11 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

If Moulds counts I would like to add Winfield.

I like this. He had hands of stone but other than that was an amazing cb.

4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm not sure where this Hall of Fame Lesean McCoy thing came from. From Pro Football Reference, McCoy's top comparables:

Delvin Williams, Terry Metcalf, Wendell Tyler, Joe Cribbs, Chris Warren, Curt Warner, John Brockington, Sam Cunningham, Paul Lowe, Sherman Smith

Fine running backs, all of them. Not a Hall of Famer to be found among them. Not even really a good argument to be made for any of them. 

I looked at all their stats.

Did you? None of them have near the success he does. What do I care what some website says when they are going to say guys with 3500 rushing yards are comparable to McCoy. Your point fell flat on its face 

15 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm not sure how PFF comparables really matter.   Just because some aspects of Shady's game compares to some other guys, doesn't mean his talent is at the same level.  This is just weird logic: PFF compares Shady to Delvin Williams so Shady can't be that good.

PFF, by the way, also said that McCoy wouldn't be successful in Buffalo in a Roman scheme after the trade from Philly.  They were wrong.  

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/lesean-mccoy-lost-in-space

Edited by hondo in seattle
add link

On 12/7/2017 at 8:55 AM, bigK14094 said:

The Bills have been serving as a farm team for the rest of the league.  Lots of success for those leaving.  That has to stop to produce a winner here.  As far a Jason Peters, he willingly violated his contract with the Bills....and is a no good individual, his legal word is not good.  He deliberately laid down on the job to get traded.   There needs to be a good faith effort clause in these big contracts.  (J Byrd did the same and is also somebody I never want to see again in Buffalo as he is also low character)

By converting Peters to OT the Bills made him a multimillionaire . When Peters left I remember  a former Bills player saying Peters didn't want to be in Buffalo, you weren't going to be able to keep him.  Donald Jones spoke  similar thoughts about Robert Woods this year on WGR. It was going to difficult to resign him when LA , his hometown, was offering hime 8 million. 

Edited by Jacobo Peterman
words !@#$ converted to Greek

16 hours ago, DisplacedBillsFan said:

Mcgahee ended up with borderline HoF numbers. 

Sammy Watkins?

Mike Williams (OT)

Stevie Johnson

Peerless Price

Travis Henry??

Rosco Parrish

Robert Royal

Jairus Byrd?

John McCargo?

Donte Whitner?

Torrell Troup?

Kevin Everett?

Pat Williams

Reggie Ragland

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm not sure how PFF comparables really matter.   Just because some aspects of Shady's game compares to some other guys, doesn't mean his talent is at the same level.  This is just weird logic: PFF compares Shady to Delvin Williams so Shady can't be that good.

PFF, by the way, also said that McCoy wouldn't be successful in Buffalo in a Roman scheme after the trade from Philly.  They were wrong.  

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/lesean-mccoy-lost-in-space

That was actually from Pro Football Reference, not PFF. And no, it's not perfect. But if you look at their 7-year career comps for Shady, you'll see Frank Gore on there. And that strikes me as a very good comp, not in running style, but in effectiveness over a long career. If Shady lasts as long as Gore (and remains effective into his 30s) he may have a very good case for the HOF. But there's no "first ballot no brainer HOF" stuff for him. The hall of the very good for now. 

On 12/7/2017 at 8:39 AM, NewEra said:

Only 3 years, but shady is by far the most “wasted” talent imo.  Eric Moulds was insanely talented but I feel the Shady is the most elite talent we’ve had on this team during the drought.  Jason Peters is a close second but he wasn’t really wasted on the Bills.  The Bills gave him a chance to become a HoFer playing for a different team.  Shady is a definite future HoFer imo.  An elite back wasting his final prime years for a team without a passing attack.

Have to agree on this one.  We made a great trade to get one of the premier RBs in the league and we have left him lying flat on his face on New Era Field!