The Best Buffalo Bills Player To Be "Wasted" In The Drought

BuffaloRush

14 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Over the past 17 years of very bad moments and sometimes equally bad players, it me wonder who was the best Bills player that should have received more fame and notoriety, but instead get overlooked given the Bills dreadful performance over the past 19 years.   

Here's a few options:

Eric Moulds

Eric played in the Bills two playoffs games but the majority of his career was spent in Buffalo during the drought era.  His numbers are stellars when he had a decent QB (Bledsoe and/or Flutie) and still had good numbers with bad QB's.  It always made me wonder what Moulds could have done in a good offense with a top QB.  I think he could have been a household name - he had some serious athletic ability. 

Lee Evans

I think that Lee was a very underrated receiver.  He played nearly his entire career in Buffalo with some very bad QB's and yet he was still very productive.  Like Moulds above, I always wondered what could have been if Lee was on a team with a good QB.  

Aaron Schobel

Schobel was one of the NFL most productive edge rushers for a few seasons in the mid 2000's but hardly anyone paid attention to him in the Buffalo market.  It seemed like that could have gotten to later on his career, as it appeared he was mailing it in.  But still a great pass rushers in his day.

Fred Jackson

Bills fans all know Fred's story.  A leader at RB who had great ability and excellent in all three facets of playing the position - running, catching, and blocking.  Fred was very productive on some atrocious teams and never really seemed to get attention in the league until the Patriots victory in 2011.  

Kyle Williams

Another players that doesn't get enough credit playing on a very bad football team.  While his best days are behind him, at one time you could make the argument that Kyle was one of the top performers at the position in a 4-3 defense.  

Those are my choices - how about yours?

A++ nice job

14 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Takeo Spikes

good call 

14 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Why isn't Kyle Orton on that list?

umm because he sucks?  :unsure:

Pat Williams?  One of the big guy Williams'  run stuffers 

Kyle Williams, Fred Jackson and Shady...

Aaron Schobel was one of my least favorite "lunch box" players. Couldn't stand him. He played great against crappy players and never showed up when needed.

2 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I've been reading through and Lesean seems like  the obvious choice.

But can I can package Clements with Winfield as an honorable mention?

You can, but I can’t. Lil Antoine showed mediocre coverage skills and non-existent playmaking skills with the Bills. Nice tackler, though.

4 hours ago, corta765 said:

If were going actual production and not just talent/potential I would go in this order:

1. London Fletcher (Dude might make the HOF)

2. LeSean McCoy (Recent but dear god is he good)

3. Kyle Williams (Enough said)

4. Fred Jackson (Enough said)

I understand those who would say Marshawn Lynch but he really made his mark more in Seattle.

NOW If we going off of talent regardless of if they actually hit their full potential my list looks like this:

1. CJ Spiller (He had one season where we saw what he really could do and before and after that season Chan couldn't out how to use him enough. I really believe had he had the proper coach and injuries didn't effect him the guy could've been an all time great. Different team and offense and I believe his story is far different)

2. Kyle Williams (If he wasn't in Buffalo aon a team that makes the playoffs a lot he might be in the discussion for the HOF some day. His numbers were always good and his play had almost zero drop off for a decade)

3. Eric Wood (When an offense is good and the QB play is good the line gets credit fair or not. Wood has always played at a pretty high level and with a better QB I think it would've enhanced his career)

4. Antoine Winfield (BUF completely botched this thinking Nate Clements was the better player and not wanting to pay him money to stay here. Clements was decent, but Winfield turned into a Pro Bowl CB and had a far longer more productive career. If the Bills had kept Winfield they don't end up drafting McKelvin because Clements leaving after 06 forced that draft pick and wasn't worth the money he wanted, Winfield was.)

Fred Jackson was a decent back.  Over 1000 yards once in his career, never a 20 carry a game guy.  A folk hero, great team mate.  But he didn't waste his career here.

Spiller did go to another team and another system (4 of them).  His career wasn't wasted in Buffalo--it's where he had his only brief success.

Wood? A better QB would make him a better....Center?

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Fred Jackson was a decent back.  Over 1000 yards once in his career, never a 20 carry a game guy.  A folk hero, great team mate.  But he didn't waste his career here.

Spiller did go to another team and another system (4 of them).  His career wasn't wasted in Buffalo--it's where he had his only brief success.

Wood? A better QB would make him a better....Center?

Your missing my point it is potential talent not actual execution. Spiller in an offense that highlighted his skills to run and catch getting the appropriate amount of carries could've been special. For center's you get linked with how good your QB is or isn't. Kent Hull would not have gotten the same adoration if he had Jeff George as his QB.

I know fans don't like to hear it but circumstance, coach, and team matter a lot on how players are defined. As I said it was overall potential not what their career translated into also, I viewed it as What If when looking at their skill and position.

One that hasent been named yet:  Terrence McGee.  Decent cover guy, and holy hell could he return kicks.  5450 return yards for a 26.3 average and 5 TDs.  Next closest on return yards in team history is McKelvin with 2471 and in TDs is Charley Warner (back in 1964) with 3... 2x All-Pro as a returner!  

From Wiki:

Bills franchise records[edit]

• Most career kickoff return yards (5,450)[1]
  • Most career kickoff return touchdowns (5)[1]
  • Most career All-Purpose yards (5,450)[1]
  • Longest Kickoff return touchdown: 104[1]
  • Most career fumble return yards (106)[1]
  • Most passes defended (97)[1]
Edited by Bill Murray

21 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Your missing my point it is potential talent not actual execution. Spiller in an offense that highlighted his skills to run and catch getting the appropriate amount of carries could've been special. For center's you get linked with how good your QB is or isn't. Kent Hull would not have gotten the same adoration if he had Jeff George as his QB.

I know fans don't like to hear it but circumstance, coach, and team matter a lot on how players are defined. As I said it was overall potential not what their career translated into also, I viewed it as What If when looking at their skill and position.

Gailey was the only one who got anything out of Spiller.  The other 4 teams couldn't find anything to do for/with him.  So, how could his time in Buffalo be considered wasted?  Doesn't make sense.

21 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

One that hasent been named yet:  Terrence McGee.  decent cover guy, but holy hell could he return kicks.  5450 return yards for a 26.3 average and % TDs.  Next closest on return yards in team history is McKelvin with 2471 and in TDs is Charley Warner (back in 1964) with 3... 2x All-Pro as a returner!  

From Wiki:

Bills franchise records[edit]

• Most career kickoff return yards (5,450)[1]
  • Most career kickoff return touchdowns (5)[1]
  • Most career All-Purpose yards (5,450)[1]
  • Longest Kickoff return touchdown: 104[1]
  • Most career fumble return yards (106)[1]
  • Most passes defended (97)[1]

I agree with this one. 

My picks:

WR's:  Evans and  Moulds - Both were saddled with terrible QBs but could have had substantially better careers had they not been stuck in Buffalo with bad QB play.  Moulds specifically was a guy who should have had a HOF career, the talent and drive was there.  The QB's unfortunately were not.  He will not be a guy remembered they way he should have been outside Buffalo because of the garbage he mostly played with.  

DL:  Shcobel and Mario Williams:  Dominant D players stuck on terrible overall teams.  In Marios case, the D was pretty good, but the offense was one of the worst in the NFL during his peak.  

RB:  Fred Jackson - This was a guy who should have been given the starting job and never really was, always a share with someone.  We wasted first round picks on Lynch and Spiller when we had a very talented do it all RB already.  All the while ignoring the QB position and other holes on the team.  FJ had the ability to be a perennial 1100-1200 yard rusher with 600+ yards receiving and double digit TD's.  Yet they never leaned on him and kept trying to find a shinier RB and ignored the teams real needs.

17 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Kyle Williams is going to be on the wall of fame one day. And he’ll have nothing else to show for his efforts unfortunately. 

I think his bank account will show what he received for his efforts. I’m I’m sure it isn’t small either.

17 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Kyle Williams is going to be on the wall of fame one day. And he’ll have nothing else to show for his efforts unfortunately. 

except for millions of dollars...which isn't all that bad a thing.

19 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Why isn't Kyle Orton on that list?

Preach!!

The player we wasted during the drought? Easy. Paul Posluzny.  MLB that could have stayed on our team for ten years...he's still playing and playing well.  MLB is the QB of the defense. Too bad we let him leave.

Less obvious choice: Eric Lee