The Best Buffalo Bills Player To Be "Wasted" In The Drought

BuffaloRush

Over the past 17 years of very bad moments and sometimes equally bad players, it me wonder who was the best Bills player that should have received more fame and notoriety, but instead get overlooked given the Bills dreadful performance over the past 19 years.   

Here's a few options:

Eric Moulds

Eric played in the Bills two playoffs games but the majority of his career was spent in Buffalo during the drought era.  His numbers are stellars when he had a decent QB (Bledsoe and/or Flutie) and still had good numbers with bad QB's.  It always made me wonder what Moulds could have done in a good offense with a top QB.  I think he could have been a household name - he had some serious athletic ability. 

Lee Evans

I think that Lee was a very underrated receiver.  He played nearly his entire career in Buffalo with some very bad QB's and yet he was still very productive.  Like Moulds above, I always wondered what could have been if Lee was on a team with a good QB.  

Aaron Schobel

Schobel was one of the NFL most productive edge rushers for a few seasons in the mid 2000's but hardly anyone paid attention to him in the Buffalo market.  It seemed like that could have gotten to later on his career, as it appeared he was mailing it in.  But still a great pass rushers in his day.

Fred Jackson

Bills fans all know Fred's story.  A leader at RB who had great ability and excellent in all three facets of playing the position - running, catching, and blocking.  Fred was very productive on some atrocious teams and never really seemed to get attention in the league until the Patriots victory in 2011.  

Kyle Williams

Another players that doesn't get enough credit playing on a very bad football team.  While his best days are behind him, at one time you could make the argument that Kyle was one of the top performers at the position in a 4-3 defense.  

Those are my choices - how about yours?

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Over the past 17 years of very bad moments and sometimes equally bad players, it me wonder who was the best Bills player that should have received more fame and notoriety, but instead get overlooked given the Bills dreadful performance over the past 19 years.   

Here's a few options:

Eric Moulds

Eric played in the Bills two playoffs games but the majority of his career was spent in Buffalo during the drought era.  His numbers are stellars when he had a decent QB (Bledsoe and/or Flutie) and still had good numbers with bad QB's.  It always made me wonder what Moulds could have done in a good offense with a top QB.  I think he could have been a household name - he had some serious athletic ability. 

Lee Evans

I think that Lee was a very underrated receiver.  He played nearly his entire career in Buffalo with some very bad QB's and yet he was still very productive.  Like Moulds above, I always wondered what could have been if Lee was on a team with a good QB.  

Aaron Schobel

Schobel was one of the NFL most productive edge rushers for a few seasons in the mid 2000's but hardly anyone paid attention to him in the Buffalo market.  It seemed like that could have gotten to later on his career, as it appeared he was mailing it in.  But still a great pass rushers in his day.

Fred Jackson

Bills fans all know Fred's story.  A leader at RB who had great ability and excellent in all three facets of playing the position - running, catching, and blocking.  Fred was very productive on some atrocious teams and never really seemed to get attention in the league until the Patriots victory in 2011.  

Kyle Williams

Another players that doesn't get enough credit playing on a very bad football team.  While his best days are behind him, at one time you could make the argument that Kyle was one of the top performers at the position in a 4-3 defense.  

Those are my choices - how about yours?

Im pretty sure marshawn was pretty wasted during his whole stint here

he loved Hennessy 

Only 3 years, but shady is by far the most “wasted” talent imo.  Eric Moulds was insanely talented but I feel the Shady is the most elite talent we’ve had on this team during the drought.  Jason Peters is a close second but he wasn’t really wasted on the Bills.  The Bills gave him a chance to become a HoFer playing for a different team.  Shady is a definite future HoFer imo.  An elite back wasting his final prime years for a team without a passing attack.

• Like (+1) 3

To the OP:  funny you make a thread on this topic; I was just thinking about this exact sort of concept about 24 hours ago, and I was thinking specifically of Kyle Williams.  Guy has a nice long career with 1 team, gives it everything he has, and what will he have to show for it when it's all over?

Nothing!

Well, he will have a pile of money, but nothing lasting from a football accomplishment perspective.

Freddy was a folk hero/NFLE rescue.  Not a great talent but a great guy.

Lynch wasn't in Buffalo, the RB he became in SEA.

Kyle probably got several more years out of his career because he was in Buffalo..

Peters...meh, a LT.  Who knows.  People go on about LTs but look at Joe Thomas---Cleveland was no better off with him and they passed on Adrian Peterson to get a LT than was part of an O-line that saw like 5 QBs get knocked out games in a month stretch  couple of years ago.  Went and the Eagles are barreling along just fine without "HOF" Peters.

McCoy maybe--but he hasn't been here long enough I think (his best years have been in Philly).

Sammy Watkins?  That's funny right there...

I laughed at the "we ran Dareus out of town", as well as the Mario mention.

I'd have to say....Jim Kelly.  If Jimmy Johnson had been the Bills coach----4 rings....