The 2018 Free Agent Class and Us

H2o

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

Hill had surgery maybe he will bounce back. I like the list, it's a pricey list but attractive. It will be intresting to see how much they spend leading up to the draft. If the plan is to trade away the draft pile to move for a QB that may change their outlook on FA market.

Yeah, I was just thinking of the number of holes that the Bills have. I was thinking Ealy and Hill would be “buy low” guys. Norwell is starting on the OL in Carolina. Richardson can run and play regularly. He’s a better fit than Matthews. Bradham would be a mobile LB and Star would be their main target. It’s not a perfect list but it would improve the team and they will have a lot of money. 

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Here is my list:

- Star Lotulelei

- Paul Richardson

- Andrew Norwell

- Nigel Bradham

- Jeremy Hill

- Kony Ealy

It is a combination of guys that I think fit, we can afford and in many cases guys that McDemott and Beane are familiar with.

thoughts??

This would be a nice haul!! plus a solid draft????

9 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

I think we are going to fill out the lines through free agency and the draft and use the top picks on skill positions (DB, QB, DE, WR)

With so many teams having the same needs I just hope we go forward and not backwards. I do have a feeling that next year is going to be what the "experts" were predicting this year to be though. Hope I'm wrong.

13 hours ago, H2o said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

If you ask me, it's looking pretty weak for the positions of need that we have. DT is thin, LB is pretty thin, and OL is really not hitting on much either. Not to mention the fact that we will be competing with other teams for their services and I don't know how easy of a sale Buffalo is. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's a real possibility we will get even worse before we get better.  If Kyle retires, we let Glenn go in a stupid move, Richie decides he's had enough, Clay is cut like rumored as a possibility, we let Gaines walk, we let Matthews walk, Tyrod is excommunicated, and you basically have another entire roster turnover. We will fill holes with middle to lower tier FA's and rookies. That is not conducive for success. As a matter of fact it is rather reminiscent of the Jauron days. Perennial 7-9 teams that were harder to watch than any I can remember. A lot hinges on Beane and his scouting department. I want to see us be a winner as much as anyone else, but where this roster is at with where it seems to be headed doesn't make me all that hopeful at the moment. 

It's a 3 to 5 year rebuild.

13 hours ago, WMDman said:

I think Kirk and Star L should be priority 

Star would be a good pickup. Kirk would be unlikely with his price tag. Not much out there to choose from. Too much age among O-Linemen and linebackers, not a lot of quality among D-linemen and WR's. I think they'll focus more on the draft and maybe make a deal or two.

I don't see Gaines being a casualty. Based on his consistency this season, he'll be re-signed as a priority. The cap space exists for him and a few mid-tier guys. Star would be a great fit, but the $'s may be too rich. Sadly, the draft will be the most key thing this offseason.

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Here is my list:

- Star Lotulelei

- Paul Richardson

- Andrew Norwell

- Nigel Bradham

- Jeremy Hill

- Kony Ealy

It is a combination of guys that I think fit, we can afford and in many cases guys that McDemott and Beane are familiar with.

thoughts??

It almost seems like Star makes too much sense to not happen, the Panthers cap situation looks dicey heading into the off-season, Richardson adds the speed element to the receiving core it needs. I like both. 

Norwell I would love, he is truely under appreciated league wide and IMO will get a lot more in FA than most would believe, hired D.Rose as his agent in the summer, he's going to be very pricey and is not a perfect fit IMO for the current scheme he can pull but its not his strength, however if a new OC comes in and runs a more power based run scheme (sprinkling in zone runs) he would be a great fit given his age and ability, could start at RG day 1 and be the long term solution at LG or new LG depending on how things play out with Richie over the next year/year+. 

Hill and Ealy make sense if they are looking for low cost roster depth. Not personally a big fan of either and Hills ball security issues could rub McD the wrong way, but I could see it. Bradham doesnt seem to fit the staff, but makes sense, I like Tahir Whitehead OLB - Lions more in the SLB role in the McD, I think he's had a good year and would be a solid addition to the Bills D. 

I am sure it wont happen but if they could get DeMarcus Lawrence to play LDE via FA, that would be a huge signing, young and instant impact, not sure the Cowboys will be able to keep him and if not IMO he should be there FA priority. 

My FA List  FWIW:

- Star Lotulelei (NDT)

- Paul Richardson (SWR)

- Jonathan Cooper (RG)

- DeMarcus Lawrence (LDE - Wishes and Dreams...)

- Orleans Darka (RB)

- Tahir Whitehead (SLB) 

- Alex Smith (Bridge QB)

Draft:

QB (Future), ILB, 3DT, RT, TE, S/SS, CB, BPA, BPA

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, P51 said:

It almost seems like Star makes too much sense to not happen, the Panthers cap situation looks dicey heading into the off-season, Richardson adds the speed element to the receiving core it needs. I like both. 

Norwell I would love, he is truely under appreciated league wide and IMO will get a lot more in FA than most would believe, hired D.Rose as his agent in the summer, he's going to be very pricey and is not a perfect fit IMO for the current scheme he can pull but its not his strength, however if a new OC comes in and runs a more power based run scheme (sprinkling in zone runs) he would be a great fit given his age and ability, could start at RG day 1 and be the long term solution at LG or new LG depending on how things play out with Richie over the next year/year+. 

Hill and Ealy make sense if they are looking for low cost roster depth. Not personally a big fan of either and Hills ball security issues could rub McD the wrong way, but I could see it. Bradham doesnt seem to fit the staff, but makes sense, I like Tahir Whitehead OLB - Lions more in the SLB role in the McD, I think he's had a good year and would be a solid addition to the Bills D. 

I am sure it wont happen but if they could get DeMarcus Lawrence to play LDE via FA, that would be a huge signing, young and instant impact, not sure the Cowboys will be able to keep him and if not IMO he should be there FA priority. 

My FA List  FWIW:

- Star Lotulelei (NDT)

- Paul Richardson (SWR)

- Jonathan Cooper (RG)

- DeMarcus Lawrence (LDE - Wishes and Dreams...)

- Orleans Darka (RB)

- Tahir Whitehead (SLB) 

- Alex Smith (Bridge QB)

Draft:

QB (Future), ILB, 3DT, RT, TE, S/SS, CB, BPA, BPA

Great stuff as always P51!!

I assumed Lawrence would be out of their price range but maybe they take a shot. I like your list quite a bit. Cooper is really playing well at the moment after being a giant bust. Maybe you could get him at the right price and Darkwa can be that #2. Whitehead would seem to be a natural fit as well. The Bills have some work to do.

Names that intrigue me (that aren't our own FAs) are:
DT - Sharrif Floyd, Star Lotulelei, Bennie Logan

EDGE - Connor Barwin, Datone Jones

RT - Byron Bell, Breno Giacomini, Don Barclay

WR - Taylor Gabriel, Paul Richardson, Mike Wallace, De'Anthony Thomas

ILB - Demario Davis

RB - Carlos Hyde, Alfred Morris, Kenjon Barner

CB - Bashaud Breeland, Brandon Boykin, Tramaine Brock

G - Jonathan Cooper, Xavier Su'a-Filo

Some are big price tags, others are value guys imo. I could see us spending a bit at CB (Gaines/Breeland) & DT.

revamp the defensive line and get sheldon richardson and star lotulelei. Pick up Paul Richardson for the slot.

trade/cut glenn, then..

draft offense: QB, RG/RT, and RB.

If you dont want to get rid of glenn, then atleast move him to guard, or right tackle.

I don't see a splash free agent unless it is Cousins but they will probably look to fix some situations like they did last year.  poyer and hit it with the Hyde 

no particular order 

keep E.j gains, cardet  and Klye 

G  jake mewhart .   

nt  Star L 

olb Bradham 

Wr Taveras King 

Rb Charles Sims 

Not my list but the type of players and values I could see McBean bring in 

I fully expect them to get a Mlb that fits the system in the draft.  

• 3 weeks later...