The 2018 Free Agent Class and Us

H2o

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

If you ask me, it's looking pretty weak for the positions of need that we have. DT is thin, LB is pretty thin, and OL is really not hitting on much either. Not to mention the fact that we will be competing with other teams for their services and I don't know how easy of a sale Buffalo is. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's a real possibility we will get even worse before we get better.  If Kyle retires, we let Glenn go in a stupid move, Richie decides he's had enough, Clay is cut like rumored as a possibility, we let Gaines walk, we let Matthews walk, Tyrod is excommunicated, and you basically have another entire roster turnover. We will fill holes with middle to lower tier FA's and rookies. That is not conducive for success. As a matter of fact it is rather reminiscent of the Jauron days. Perennial 7-9 teams that were harder to watch than any I can remember. A lot hinges on Beane and his scouting department. I want to see us be a winner as much as anyone else, but where this roster is at with where it seems to be headed doesn't make me all that hopeful at the moment. 

I'm sure there will be a bunch of names added to the list as teams work the salary cap and cut some vets. Read something earlier speculating the Jets cutting Wilkerson due to him not playing as well since signing a fat contract, being late or no showings team meetings (sound familiar?)

I would take a flier on him if cut...not that we would likely be able to afford it...and no way would McD want a player like that.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think this offseason will be there spending offseason.  I think the following offseason they will dip into the free agent market more and let the youth get another year to develop to see what needs are left.  That being said, I expect them to go after a few guys.  We shall see.  

17 minutes ago, H2o said:

If you ask me, it's looking pretty weak for the positions of need that we have. DT is thin, LB is pretty thin, and OL is really not hitting on much either. Not to mention the fact that we will be competing with other teams for their services and I don't know how easy of a sale Buffalo is. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's a real possibility we will get even worse before we get better.  If Kyle retires, we let Glenn go in a stupid move, Richie decides he's had enough, Clay is cut like rumored as a possibility, we let Gaines walk, we let Matthews walk, Tyrod is excommunicated, and you basically have another entire roster turnover. We will fill holes with middle to lower tier FA's and rookies. That is not conducive for success. As a matter of fact it is rather reminiscent of the Jauron days. Perennial 7-9 teams that were harder to watch than any I can remember. A lot hinges on Beane and his scouting department. I want to see us be a winner as much as anyone else, but where this roster is at with where it seems to be headed doesn't make me all that hopeful at the moment. 

I also think this team could get a lot worse next year.

The main reason is because this offensive line and defensive line both suck.   And I don't think they will be able to fix both in one year - or even two years of drafting.   

They will probably spend their first pick on a QB - and perhaps trade away other picks to move up to do so.    But that QB is very likely to struggle behind this offensive line.

The direction this team is heading due to talent purge (both intentional and non-intentional) is moving the Bills one step closer to being Cleveland.

The Bills being the worst or near the worst team in the NFL next year is a distinct possibility.    

But I am sure we will all be fired up going into next season thinking playoffs again. :D

27 minutes ago, H2o said:

Well considering we r never gonna be legit contenders until we draft and groom our franchise QB, I’d say we aren’t really ready for big money FA’s anyway...maybe in a few years.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Not sure above them being Cleveland, but I can't see how people think they will be in better shape next year considering the roster going forward. 

I am assuming Cleveland will actually take a step forward eventually and not have another completely defeated season.  :D

Just now, WMDman said:

when Ealy was released from CAR we didn't even put in a waiver and i don think Nigel is a McD kinda guy...

Another guy we let go due to Rex. Even though you're probably right about him not being a coach McD type of guy, he would be perfect for this system. 

3 minutes ago, WMDman said:

when Ealy was released from CAR we didn't even put in a waiver and i don think Nigel is a McD kinda guy...

Do we know that they didn’t put in a claim? I know that the Jets got him. At any rate, he will be cheap and a guy that they are familiar with at a position of need.

In terms of Bradham I am thinking that they understand they need a guy that can run.  Zach Brown probably makes even more sense but they made it clear how they feel about him.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/27/seven-team-made-waivers-claims-for-kony-ealy/

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Ealy was released by NE and the Bills might have put in, but the NYJ had priority with a worse W/L record.

im almost positive i read something that said we didnt put in a claim

edit: I found a link 

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Do we know that they didn’t put in a claim? I know that the Jets got him. At any rate, he will be cheap and a guy that they are familiar with at a position of need.

In terms of Bradham I am thinking that they understand they need a guy that can run.  Zach Brown probably makes even more sense but they made it clear how they feel about him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/27/seven-team-made-waivers-claims-for-kony-ealy/

Edited by WMDman
link added

How about Pugh from the Giants. Sign him for guard money, play him st right tackle.

also like Lotulelei, Poe, Logan as Defensive tackles.

I think they’ll go after one or two defensive backs, even if they re-sign Gaines, in order to gain some depth. One guy I think they could go after is Travis Carrie from the Raiders. Can play corner or safety, outside or in the slot, and is still a young guy. 

47 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Here is my list:

- Star Lotulelei

- Paul Richardson

- Andrew Norwell

- Nigel Bradham

- Jeremy Hill

- Kony Ealy

It is a combination of guys that I think fit, we can afford and in many cases guys that McDemott and Beane are familiar with.

thoughts??

Ealy and Star I think they would make a play for. I don't know if Bradham fits the character mold. I would like to see us get Zach Brown back as well, but who knows what he'll do? Hill would be a nice COP to Shady. Richardson seems a lot like the guys we already have, but I wouldnt be mad at it. I know nothing of Norwell. 

Edited by H2o

55 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not sure above them being Cleveland, but I can't see how people think they will be in better shape next year considering the roster going forward. 

So we are gonna be worse next year based on our roster, no one has a clue what this team is gonna do this offseason and what it will look like next year

49 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Here is my list:

- Star Lotulelei

- Paul Richardson

- Andrew Norwell

- Nigel Bradham

- Jeremy Hill

- Kony Ealy

It is a combination of guys that I think fit, we can afford and in many cases guys that McDemott and Beane are familiar with.

thoughts??

Hill had surgery maybe he will bounce back. I like the list, it's a pricey list but attractive. It will be intresting to see how much they spend leading up to the draft. If the plan is to trade away the draft pile to move for a QB that may change their outlook on FA market.

Just now, Pbomb said:

So we are gonna be worse next year based on our roster, no one has a clue what this team is gonna do this offseason and what it will look like next year

It's a safe bet that the team will be younger in key spots and growing pains will be the theme of 2018.