Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • SDS

      Problems logging in?   11/05/2017

      I know a few people are getting logged out too quickly. I don't have the answer to that yet.   However, one change that occurred is that there is no longer a log in name and a separate display name. The upgrade discarded the log in name and now uses the display name. So, to log in:   Username: <display name> Password: <your password>   If you need to contact me to find out what your display name is use: Contact Us  and we can get things sorted out.
Sign in to follow this  
H2o

The 2018 Free Agent Class and Us

Recommended Posts

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

 

If you ask me, it's looking pretty weak for the positions of need that we have. DT is thin, LB is pretty thin, and OL is really not hitting on much either. Not to mention the fact that we will be competing with other teams for their services and I don't know how easy of a sale Buffalo is. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's a real possibility we will get even worse before we get better.  If Kyle retires, we let Glenn go in a stupid move, Richie decides he's had enough, Clay is cut like rumored as a possibility, we let Gaines walk, we let Matthews walk, Tyrod is excommunicated, and you basically have another entire roster turnover. We will fill holes with middle to lower tier FA's and rookies. That is not conducive for success. As a matter of fact it is rather reminiscent of the Jauron days. Perennial 7-9 teams that were harder to watch than any I can remember. A lot hinges on Beane and his scouting department. I want to see us be a winner as much as anyone else, but where this roster is at with where it seems to be headed doesn't make me all that hopeful at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure there will be a bunch of names added to the list as teams work the salary cap and cut some vets. Read something earlier speculating the Jets cutting Wilkerson due to him not playing as well since signing a fat contract, being late or no showings team meetings (sound familiar?)

 

I would take a flier on him if cut...not that we would likely be able to afford it...and no way would McD want a player like that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think this offseason will be there spending offseason.  I think the following offseason they will dip into the free agent market more and let the youth get another year to develop to see what needs are left.  That being said, I expect them to go after a few guys.  We shall see.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, H2o said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

 

If you ask me, it's looking pretty weak for the positions of need that we have. DT is thin, LB is pretty thin, and OL is really not hitting on much either. Not to mention the fact that we will be competing with other teams for their services and I don't know how easy of a sale Buffalo is. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's a real possibility we will get even worse before we get better.  If Kyle retires, we let Glenn go in a stupid move, Richie decides he's had enough, Clay is cut like rumored as a possibility, we let Gaines walk, we let Matthews walk, Tyrod is excommunicated, and you basically have another entire roster turnover. We will fill holes with middle to lower tier FA's and rookies. That is not conducive for success. As a matter of fact it is rather reminiscent of the Jauron days. Perennial 7-9 teams that were harder to watch than any I can remember. A lot hinges on Beane and his scouting department. I want to see us be a winner as much as anyone else, but where this roster is at with where it seems to be headed doesn't make me all that hopeful at the moment. 

 

I also think this team could get a lot worse next year.

 

The main reason is because this offensive line and defensive line both suck.   And I don't think they will be able to fix both in one year - or even two years of drafting.   

 

They will probably spend their first pick on a QB - and perhaps trade away other picks to move up to do so.    But that QB is very likely to struggle behind this offensive line.

 

The direction this team is heading due to talent purge (both intentional and non-intentional) is moving the Bills one step closer to being Cleveland.

 

The Bills being the worst or near the worst team in the NFL next year is a distinct possibility.    

 

But I am sure we will all be fired up going into next season thinking playoffs again. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

 

I also think this team could get a lot worse next year.

 

The main reason is because this offensive line and defensive line both suck.   And I don't think they will be able to fix both in one year - or even two years of drafting.   

 

They will probably spend their first pick on a QB - and perhaps trade away other picks to move up to do so.    But that QB is very likely to struggle behind this offensive line.

 

The direction this team is heading due to talent purge (both intentional and non-intentional) is moving the Bills one step closer to being Cleveland.

 

The Bills being the worst or near the worst team in the NFL next year is a distinct possibility.    

 

But I am sure we will all be fired up going into next season thinking playoffs again. :D

Not sure above them being Cleveland, but I can't see how people think they will be in better shape next year considering the roster going forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, H2o said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

 

If you ask me, it's looking pretty weak for the positions of need that we have. DT is thin, LB is pretty thin, and OL is really not hitting on much either. Not to mention the fact that we will be competing with other teams for their services and I don't know how easy of a sale Buffalo is. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's a real possibility we will get even worse before we get better.  If Kyle retires, we let Glenn go in a stupid move, Richie decides he's had enough, Clay is cut like rumored as a possibility, we let Gaines walk, we let Matthews walk, Tyrod is excommunicated, and you basically have another entire roster turnover. We will fill holes with middle to lower tier FA's and rookies. That is not conducive for success. As a matter of fact it is rather reminiscent of the Jauron days. Perennial 7-9 teams that were harder to watch than any I can remember. A lot hinges on Beane and his scouting department. I want to see us be a winner as much as anyone else, but where this roster is at with where it seems to be headed doesn't make me all that hopeful at the moment. 

Well considering we r never gonna be legit contenders until we draft and groom our franchise QB, I’d say we aren’t really ready for big money FA’s anyway...maybe in a few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ScottLaw said:

Not sure above them being Cleveland, but I can't see how people think they will be in better shape next year considering the roster going forward. 

 

I am assuming Cleveland will actually take a step forward eventually and not have another completely defeated season.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my list:

- Star Lotulelei

- Paul Richardson

- Andrew Norwell

- Nigel Bradham

- Jeremy Hill

- Kony Ealy

 

It is a combination of guys that I think fit, we can afford and in many cases guys that McDemott and Beane are familiar with.

 

thoughts??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

- Nigel Bradham

- Kony Ealy

 

 

when Ealy was released from CAR we didn't even put in a waiver and i don think Nigel is a McD kinda guy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WMDman said:

when Ealy was released from CAR we didn't even put in a waiver and i don think Nigel is a McD kinda guy...

Another guy we let go due to Rex. Even though you're probably right about him not being a coach McD type of guy, he would be perfect for this system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WMDman said:

when Ealy was released from CAR we didn't even put in a waiver and i don think Nigel is a McD kinda guy...

 

Ealy was released by NE and the Bills might have put in, but the NYJ had priority with a worse W/L record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WMDman said:

when Ealy was released from CAR we didn't even put in a waiver and i don think Nigel is a McD kinda guy...

Do we know that they didn’t put in a claim? I know that the Jets got him. At any rate, he will be cheap and a guy that they are familiar with at a position of need.

 

In terms of Bradham I am thinking that they understand they need a guy that can run.  Zach Brown probably makes even more sense but they made it clear how they feel about him.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/27/seven-team-made-waivers-claims-for-kony-ealy/

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

 

Ealy was released by NE and the Bills might have put in, but the NYJ had priority with a worse W/L record.

im almost positive i read something that said we didnt put in a claim

 

edit: I found a link 

 

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Do we know that they didn’t put in a claim? I know that the Jets got him. At any rate, he will be cheap and a guy that they are familiar with at a position of need.

 

In terms of Bradham I am thinking that they understand they need a guy that can run.  Zach Brown probably makes even more sense but they made it clear how they feel about him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/27/seven-team-made-waivers-claims-for-kony-ealy/

Edited by WMDman
link added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about Pugh from the Giants. Sign him for guard money, play him st right tackle.

 

also like Lotulelei, Poe, Logan as Defensive tackles.

 

I think they’ll go after one or two defensive backs, even if they re-sign Gaines, in order to gain some depth. One guy I think they could go after is Travis Carrie from the Raiders. Can play corner or safety, outside or in the slot, and is still a young guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Here is my list:

- Star Lotulelei

- Paul Richardson

- Andrew Norwell

- Nigel Bradham

- Jeremy Hill

- Kony Ealy

 

It is a combination of guys that I think fit, we can afford and in many cases guys that McDemott and Beane are familiar with.

 

thoughts??

Ealy and Star I think they would make a play for. I don't know if Bradham fits the character mold. I would like to see us get Zach Brown back as well, but who knows what he'll do? Hill would be a nice COP to Shady. Richardson seems a lot like the guys we already have, but I wouldnt be mad at it. I know nothing of Norwell. 

Edited by H2o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Well considering we r never gonna be legit contenders until we draft and groom our franchise QB, I’d say we aren’t really ready for big money FA’s anyway...maybe in a few years.

This!   End of thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not sure above them being Cleveland, but I can't see how people think they will be in better shape next year considering the roster going forward. 

So we are gonna be worse next year based on our roster, no one has a clue what this team is gonna do this offseason and what it will look like next year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Here is my list:

- Star Lotulelei

- Paul Richardson

- Andrew Norwell

- Nigel Bradham

- Jeremy Hill

- Kony Ealy

 

It is a combination of guys that I think fit, we can afford and in many cases guys that McDemott and Beane are familiar with.

 

thoughts??

Hill had surgery maybe he will bounce back. I like the list, it's a pricey list but attractive. It will be intresting to see how much they spend leading up to the draft. If the plan is to trade away the draft pile to move for a QB that may change their outlook on FA market.

Just now, Pbomb said:

So we are gonna be worse next year based on our roster, no one has a clue what this team is gonna do this offseason and what it will look like next year

It's a safe bet that the team will be younger in key spots and growing pains will be the theme of 2018.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

Hill had surgery maybe he will bounce back. I like the list, it's a pricey list but attractive. It will be intresting to see how much they spend leading up to the draft. If the plan is to trade away the draft pile to move for a QB that may change their outlook on FA market.

Yeah, I was just thinking of the number of holes that the Bills have. I was thinking Ealy and Hill would be “buy low” guys. Norwell is starting on the OL in Carolina. Richardson can run and play regularly. He’s a better fit than Matthews. Bradham would be a mobile LB and Star would be their main target. It’s not a perfect list but it would improve the team and they will have a lot of money. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Pbomb said:

So we are gonna be worse next year based on our roster, no one has a clue what this team is gonna do this offseason and what it will look like next year

I'm aware.

 

Considering the holes they will have to fill among guys retiring/leaving I don't see how they do put together a decent roster in one offseason.

 

39 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, I was just thinking of the number of holes that the Bills have. I was thinking Ealy and Hill would be “buy low” guys. Norwell is starting on the OL in Carolina. Richardson can run and play regularly. He’s a better fit than Matthews. Bradham would be a mobile LB and Star would be their main target. It’s not a perfect list but it would improve the team and they will have a lot of money. 

 

 

Jeremy Hill?

 

The WR the Jets drafted a few years ago? He blows.

 

 

Edit: nevermind, you mean the Bengals RB I believe.

Edited by ScottLaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Here is my list:

- Star Lotulelei

- Paul Richardson

- Andrew Norwell

- Nigel Bradham

- Jeremy Hill

- Kony Ealy

 

It is a combination of guys that I think fit, we can afford and in many cases guys that McDemott and Beane are familiar with.

 

thoughts??

 

This would be a nice haul!! plus a solid draft🙏🏾🙏🏾

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×