Should we try to trade Shaq?

GreggTX

If you move Shaq, you have to find another DE.  If we get a 4th round pick, we may get a player better than Shaq but we may get a player much much worse.

His contract isn't so bad right now.  The first round pick cost is sunk.  Hang on to him and hope he wakes up a different player.

25 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Lawson was another wasted 1st round pick from the Whaley era. 

When you go back and look at the guys we drafted during the Whaley/Nix years, it's nothing short of a complete disaster. 

This team has zero players to build around. It's shocking how bare the cupboard is. 

I dunno. I think we're pretty average overall. I also think White, Jones and Dawkins have bright futures. We also have a lot of picks and will save some of that huge contract money from Dareus. The real #1 question for Bills fans now is "How well can Beane draft?" If he nails those picks on day 1 and 2 of the draft ands gets a QB, whole new ballgame.

The only reason to release Shaq is because we're all pretty disappointed in the return on investment for a First Round Draft Pick.  However trading him is not going to make that lack of return any less painful.  Keep him.  He isn't hurting anything.  The Team is going to need some solid players in their prime.  But stop dreaming that he is suddenly going to be Bruce Smith.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

Shaq doesn't look at all like a 1st round pick at this point. Some points to consider.

1. He is still less than 25 games into his NFL career.

2. What could we get for him? Would it be worth it?

3. Is he worth the money we're paying him now (disregarding present injury) or should we just move him and free up cap space that might be better spent?

Does it look like he's playing like a second round pick?  The guy is making $2.5 million base salary and the Bills can exercise a fifth year if they want.  He's good against the run and can get to the QB often enough.  He's slow off the snap and he hasn't been on the field enough, I suppose.  You've got to give him more time and you're not going to get his quality in return.

1 hour ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Doubt they'd get much of anything for him. So probably not yet anyways. He may get better and make more of an impact next season. Unless he is straight up beat out by someone else. Then maybe they will entertain the idea. I'm sure they will be making some changes with the Dline anyways so time will tell. No telling what this FO will do.

Agree.  Don't think his trade value is anything, so keep him while he is still cheap.

1 hour ago, inaugural balls said:

Ok - but I'm warning you. If this is a part of the "process", there's going to be an awful lot of pissed off nancy's around here.

A - LOT

People will be pissed if Shaq is traded? I Don’t get the impression anyone is too excited about him. I don’t care either way but would prefer a decent return. 

Thr interestng part to me is he seems like a McD type of player. Football minded, works hard, on field effort. played through injuries in college, lots of heart, positive attitude. I’m just not sure he’s shown enough on the field to be “untouchable” on the trade block. I don’t think they will give him away, but I think if offered a good deal they wlll feel comfortable moving on.

I think  OBD is going to have a busy offseason and there will be some “surprising” moves as they continue to build the team they want. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

He was damaged goods when he was drafted (slow Doug Whaley's goofy "day one starter" and "oops, that 'something' happened, now he needs that shoulder surgery" and totally lame shenanigans not withstanding, now he's on IR.  He has little trade value (likely zero). 

Just keep him.  See what happens.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

People will be pissed if Shaq is traded? I Don’t get the impression anyone is too excited about him. I don’t care either way but would prefer a decent return. 

Thr interestng part to me is he seems like a McD type of player. Football minded, works hard, on field effort. played through injuries in college, lots of heart, positive attitude. I’m just not sure he’s shown enough on the field to be “untouchable” on the trade block. I don’t think they will give him away, but I think if offered a good deal they wlll feel comfortable moving on.

I think  OBD is going to have a busy offseason and there will be some “surprising” moves as they continue to build the team they want. 

Agree with all points...

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Absolutely. 

Kinda carzy how we Bills Fans looks forward to the offseason most years , isn't it ?

But this year i am looking forward to it. Lot of work to get done for sure both draft and FA etc

there's so little activity concerning the upcoming game right now.

Shaq looks like just the same as he did coming out of Clemson.  A slow off the line, run stuffing DE.  He will never live up to the hype of a 1st rd. pick because he will never be a good pass rusher in the NFL.  He is much too slow and is extremely slow off the snap.  I remember watching a Matt Waldman film breakdown of Shaq headed into his years draft and the one main takeaway was how ridiculously slow he was off the snap.  There were screenshots of many plays where every single Clemson D-lineman was well out of their stance and pushing into the backfield while Shaq wasn't even out of his 3 point stance yet.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Shaq doesn't look at all like a 1st round pick at this point. Some points to consider.

3. Is he worth the money we're paying him now (disregarding present injury) or should we just move him and free up cap space that might be better spent?

His cap hit is currently $2.3M.

Next year it's $2.8M, and the dead cap hit would be $6M. 

The year after his cap hit is $3.2M and the dead cap hit is the same. 

So, to me, it seems like it's worth keeping him at least another year. Let's see what Waufle can do with him. It's not like we have any talented defensive ends waiting in the wings... or much talent on the d line as it is, and we don't know if Kyle Islliams will be back next year. 

IMO we need to be adding to the d line, not subtracting from it. Not everyone comes into the NFL and immediately tears it up. 

The only way I trade Lawson before next season is if something good is coming back. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

A Denney would be fine. with a complimentary front.  Give Lawson some time please

why do we think he should be gone again ? i can't seem to grasp that bit..

People think he isn't living up to his draft position, which is true. But you don't necessarily have to do that to be a useful player. What you should live up to is your salary. And at $2.5 mill per year, he probably just about does that.

And when you do that, you generally stay around till they get somebody better or as good but cheaper.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GreggTX said:

While its a fair question, I think its a bit early.  Let him and this regime be together another year before we start making any real conclusions about him.  Colts I am pretty sure regret giving up on Hughes a year too soon when they traded him to us for a guy who did very little in Sheppard.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I found it interesting/surprising that Murph and Donald both insinuated today that they thought he would be traded in the offseason. They suggested he was not consistent enough producing in his role as a pass rusher.

Sal Capaccio also said the same thing.

He gives it a 75/25 that Lawson comes back.

• Thank you (+1) 1