Should we try to trade Shaq?

GreggTX

I've said it before, I think Hughes is gone after this year. The contract and the negative yards through bad penalties....that means, if they cut Shaq or trade him for Draft pick(s), that would require two DEs on their revamped D-line...and considering that Kyle may very well retire and they need DT pretty badly already, I'd say it's too much turnover for one year. As someone else mentioned, he was on IR last year, this was essentially his Rookie year in a new Defensive scheme. I think they give Shaq another year for the reasons mentioned.

Edited by BigBuff423

I would be more surprised if they move on from Hughes than Shaq. He’s actually a good pass rusher. I know he has a big cap hit but they aren’t cap strapped. Pass rushers are very expensive in FA, don’t think it would be too easy to replace him. The penalties would be the only reason but no one is perfect, he doesn’t have any other issues that i know of that would make them want to get rid of him. Beefing up the interior of the line would immediately increase his production too imo and they need to do that anyway.

Then again im usually wrong. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

It's his first year. He's still developing. Christ  ppl here think every player and rookie should b Lawrence Taylor ...

No...

Once we get a real qb, all this other stuff just goes away. Yes a real qb effect s the pass rush. You know why genius???

Because you are constantly playing with a lead, sometimes a huge lead.

Put Rodgers on our team and Lawson and Hughes are in double digits each in sacks

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You’d get something similar to Ragland i would imagine. Shaq is a solid player. I know that’s uninspiring for a 1st round pick but he’s good against the run and will be like an 8 sack guy. He’s Ryan Denney IMO.

In general, the Whaley draft selections were less than inspiring. The constant change in coaches and systems certainly influenced the incoherency in the collection of players. But over a three to four year period it was lackluster. Whaley had a tendency to over-rate his roster and make moves to get over the hump. In the end being expedient instead of having a coherent strategy kept this team stuck in the middle. 

I'm not saying that Whaley was a bad GM. I am saying that he wasn't a good GM. While many, if not most, shudder at the wrestling coach's dismantling of the roster I am embracing it. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I dunno. I think we're pretty average overall. I also think White, Jones and Dawkins have bright futures. We also have a lot of picks and will save some of that huge contract money from Dareus. The real #1 question for Bills fans now is "How well can Beane draft?" If he nails those picks on day 1 and 2 of the draft ands gets a QB, whole new ballgame.

I expect a first round pick to be more than just average. 

And I haven't seen anything from Zay Jones. His catch rate is the worst from an NFL receiver in over 10 years. He's not explosive, doesn't generate much separation and offers nothing on special teams. I don't see a bright future for him at all. 

I would have liked to see Shaq have a better 2nd season.....

Having said that....you cant keep giving up on high picks and selling low....we did that with some guys like Watkins but I think that was as much a money situation as anything.  Shaq is on a extremely affordable rookie contract and has a solid chance of improving his pass rush while already being very good against the run.

I think the final determination is.....is he a McD type player?   It appears that Darby and Reggie Ragland was not who falls into that same category of drafting hi selling low.

16 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You’d get something similar to Ragland i would imagine. Shaq is a solid player. I know that’s uninspiring for a 1st round pick but he’s good against the run and will be like an 8 sack guy. He’s Ryan Denney IMO.

I'm not really seeing how he's an 8 sack guy. From everything I've seen of his pass rush, it looks pretty awful. He gets swallowed up by the tackle and has no good pass rush move to get off a block. On the run front, I've noticed him catching the block quite a few times and getting knocked back. Just not really seeing what everyone else seems to be seeing with this guy.

I think he has more value as a low end starter or rotational player than he would in a trade situation. His contract is relatively cheap for next year, and we need bodies that know the defense, not just a bunch of rookies and new guys again. 

He's a bridge until they get a better EDGE defender to go along with Hughes in the draft (along with some DTs).

Also, (as others said) who is going to want him based on his body of work so far? 

Edited by Captain_Quint

1 minute ago, DC Greg said:

I'm not really seeing how he's an 8 sack guy. From everything I've seen of his pass rush, it looks pretty awful. He gets swallowed up by the tackle and has no good pass rush move to get off a block. On the run front, I've noticed him catching the block quite a few times and getting knocked back. Just not really seeing what everyone else seems to be seeing with this guy.

He has 4 now while acclimating to the speed of the game. It’s not unreasonable to think that he can get to 8 by next year. He’d have been at like 6 this year. 

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He has 4 now while acclimating to the speed of the game. It’s not unreasonable to think that he can get to 8 by next year. He’d have been at like 6 this year. 

Except sacks come in bunches and almost never extrapolate out like that.  Shaq went 5 games straight without a sack this season.

23 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Shaq Lawson will never be an 8 sack a year guy. I've never seen a player that reminds me more of Chris Kelsay. Stuffs the run with little pass rush skills. One dimensional DE's are not exactly in high demand.  We're stuck with him.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Shaq Lawson will never be an 8 sack a year guy. I've never seen a player that reminds me more of Chris Kelsay. Stuffs the run with little pass rush skills.

I’m surprised that people are so adamant about this. I didn’t say 15 sacks. The Bills have to get pass rush from their front 4 and he led the team this year. 8 isn’t really impressive. It’s the sign of an average DE. He was thought by many to be a top 10 pick and now we are saying he can’t get 8 sacks? Again, he’s just okay but he is a little better than we are giving him credit for.

5 hours ago, cba fan said:

Hughes is the best or second best defensive player on team. Getting rid of him would be another stupid trade by Beano.

I had a vision today of them cutting Hughes and keeping Shaq. 

If that happens, McD has gone full blown Jauron.

• Like (+1) 1