Should we try to trade Shaq?

GreggTX

Shaq doesn't look at all like a 1st round pick at this point. Some points to consider.

1. He is still less than 25 games into his NFL career.

2. What could we get for him? Would it be worth it?

3. Is he worth the money we're paying him now (disregarding present injury) or should we just move him and free up cap space that might be better spent?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Doubt they'd get much of anything for him. So probably not yet anyways. He may get better and make more of an impact next season. Unless he is straight up beat out by someone else. Then maybe they will entertain the idea. I'm sure they will be making some changes with the Dline anyways so time will tell. No telling what this FO will do.

• Like (+1) 1

I think what happens to Shaq is going to be very interesting.

If McD and Beane think he is what he is...............he gone.

If they think he can improve in their system.............he stays.

Let me add, I don't have a clue what their true thoughts are about this.

I think it is as simple as that.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think what happens to Shaq is going to be very interesting.

If McD and Beane think he is what he is...............he gone.

If they think he can improve in their system.............he stays.

Let me add, I don't have a clue what their true thoughts are about this.

I think it is as simple as that.

Good points...I think he will be around until they find his replacement...and even then he should be decent depth until his rookie contract expires and they let him walk imo.

36 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Shaq doesn't look at all like a 1st round pick at this point. Some points to consider.

1. He is still less than 25 games into his NFL career.

2. What could we get for him? Would it be worth it?

3. Is he worth the money we're paying him now (disregarding present injury) or should we just move him and free up cap space that might be better spent?

I suspect if they could get a 3rd round pick or higher, they would trade him away tomorrow.   Just my opinion.

I don't think they will get good offers for him though.   So he stays and gets rotated in and out of the defensive front next year.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You’d get something similar to Ragland i would imagine. Shaq is a solid player. I know that’s uninspiring for a 1st round pick but he’s good against the run and will be like an 8 sack guy. He’s Ryan Denney IMO.

A Denney would be fine. with a complimentary front.  Give Lawson some time please

2 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

I suspect if they could get a 3rd round pick or higher, they would trade him away tomorrow.   Just my opinion.

I don't think they will get good offers for him though.   So he stays and gets rotated in and out of the defensive front next year.

why do we think he should be gone again ? i can't seem to grasp that bit..

4 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

A Denney would be fine. with a complimentary front.  Give Lawson some time please

why do we think he should be gone again ? i can't seem to grasp that bit..

McDermott's defense relies on the front guys getting pressure on the quarterback.    That is not his strength.   That is why I suspect they already want to replace him.

10 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Good points...I think he will be around until they find his replacement...and even then he should be decent depth until his rookie contract expires and they let him walk imo.

Just now, PolishDave said:

McDermott's defense relies on the front guys getting pressure on the quarterback.    That is not his strength.   That is why I suspect they already want to replace him.

These 2 points are why I said that Shaq's situation will be interesting!

I have no idea what they will do........................................

We have so many holes to fill that keeping him is the safe thing to do.

They are stubborn though.

1 minute ago, PolishDave said:

Thanks for the note.
I bet McD likes to get pressure up the middle and loves him some contain on the outsides. 
Deandre Coleman was a decent addition for now.
Give McD Pat Williams and or Ted Washington with Lawson and Hughes we would be super bowl bound. pressure from the middle makes Lawson look preeetty good i bet. You saw the come back on Brady. missed him but made him turtle.
Hughes overruns the edge, Lawson often move the play back inside nicely

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I found it interesting/surprising that Murph and Donald both insinuated today that they thought he would be traded in the offseason. They suggested he was not consistent enough producing in his role as a pass rusher.

duly noted.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

These 2 points are why I said that Shaq's situation will be interesting!

I have no idea what they will do........................................

We have so many holes to fill that keeping him is the safe thing to do.

They are stubborn though.

Trading for draft picks is ALL risk. plus developing the player to just the NFL game speed is no small feat.
Bird in the hand , on this one

Yeah why not?

Trade everyone who was here before McDerma got here. Better yet just cut all of them. And get a different mascot, PA game announcer, ticket takers, ushers, lot security guards, in stadium security, concessions, repaint the stadium, replace all the boulders around the place, trade the shout song to JAX, 

Go big or go home. Hell just Nuke the place already.

Edited by cba fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Lawson was another wasted 1st round pick from the Whaley era. 

When you go back and look at the guys we drafted during the Whaley/Nix years, it's nothing short of a complete disaster. 

This team has zero players to build around. It's shocking how bare the cupboard is.