What do you fix first? OL or QB?

3 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Some people say you need to have a good OL in order for a QB to be successful. Some say a good QB makes the OL look better.

What do you all think is more important?

Focus all resources on getting the QB first, b/c without him, the OL doesn't matter.

Once you have a pretty good idea that you have the right QB, I would expend resources that directly help the QB.

That means OL, WR, Gronk type huge TE if you can find one.

I woud NOT expend resources, first, on something far removed from the QB position, like DT for example.

The QB and the important pieces directly related to his performance are what counts!  

If you have that, you will remain in and win a lot of games.

2 hours ago, kevnallen said:

If you see a franchise QB, grab him. Franchise QBs are very hard to find. If the QB isn’t likely a franchise play, go with the best player available 

I would modify this statement:

If you see a franchise QB, grab him. Franchise QBs are very hard to find. If the QB isn’t likely a franchise play, go with the best player available if it fills a need, if best player available does not fill a need, trade down and compile more picks.

• Like (+1) 1

A QB is the most important player on any team. The GM and Coach know that this is what will keep them around for 4-10 years. The ONLY teams to make the playoffs and sniff the championship games have quality QBs. The fact is that teams draft 2-3 very good offensive linemen, but the good ones also grab late round players and coach them up. Coaching, scheme and coachable players are the key. Note: TE is not mentioned in this, because of Clay's contract, but it is the in the top 5 most important positions for a QB (LT, RB, TE, C and WR). WR last, because it is the threat of a run game and the "check down"/"mismatch" players that help a QB have time to go through progressions and learn a system properly.

I would trade 2x first picks and a 3rd to get my guy and use the 2x second round picks on 2 potential starters at any position. Are offensive line is close to being fixed. RG/RT is key (note: we have Groy as back up for 3 positions). IF and a huge maybe, if Glen can get healthy and play RT, then a guard would be a great addition. Note: Wood and/or Glen need to go soon to save cap.

The unfortunate thing is that this philosophy puts us another 2 years away from a great team. We need to shed cap and replace most of the defense over time. Look at the players closely (age, average players, free agents). Offensively, we need receivers. Look at what Goff and Wentz has.

2018 Draft

Round #1 QB (Leader, Pocket Awareness, Blue Chip), Round #2 G (power blocker), Round #2 WR (deep threat), Round #4 RB (strong class), 5-7 DT, LB, CB

- protect the passer and add weapons for growth

- own the time clock and play field position battles

Free Agents: 1-3 defensive starters (1 at each level)

Note: If we stay put and take a QB (Mayfield), then I believe that we can be more competitive in 2018. I am not comfortable with that at this point, but not opposed. 

2019 Draft

DEFENSE and more DEFENSE!!!

Fill the holes

Use both 1st round picks and trade for a QB. 

If that doesn't work trade both 1st round picks and a 5th pick this year and a pick next year for a QB.

If that doesn't work trade both 1st round picks and a second round pick for a QB.

If that doesn't work trade both 1st round picks, a second and a pick next year for a QB.

If that doesn't work trade both 1st round picks and  a 1st round pick next yea for a QB.

GET THE POINT!

Well if your rookie QB you traded up for gets carted off the field after taking a serious pounding you may have an answer.

I'd fix the O-line first. No QB drafted is gonna get settled in and find a rythm behind a Swiss cheese line.

If QB is the most important position on the field you would think you would want to invest heavy into protecting him. Especially if it's a rookie looking to find his stride.

Edited by Lfod

6 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Some people say you need to have a good OL in order for a QB to be successful. Some say a good QB makes the OL look better.

If you think you have a shot at a real qb, the answer to nearly any nfl question is take the qb and sort the rest out later.

when you start talking fix the OL or take a flyer on a long shot qb that obviously changes 

6 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

that's a good question. IMO for this team anyways, I'd get the QB 1st. Whether it be  a high draft pick or someone like maybe a Kirk Cousins. Either way this Oline has had it's flaws, but I think they have some guys that are pretty good. Maybe just a "tune up" would be needed. The rookie Dawkins is showing good promise so if we could get the right side of the line fixed with a couple key guys any QB should be "okay".

Every Oline is going to get beaten from time to time. Even the best in the NFL,  but it's time for this franchise in particular to get their QB, whomever it be and piece together the rest from there.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

QB is by far the most important position on the team and OL talent is sparce. I say QB first, definitely. Just don't trade off Taylor for Cousins because that would be pointless. If you can't sign or draft someone that is or you believe strongly will soon be a top tier QB, you might as well keep Taylor or go with Peterman if you think he can be a stop gap or better. Cousins is better, but not all that much. We need to shoot for the stars. After all, there are 31 other teams after that Lombardi trophy. If you want to get to the top, you can't be aimed at the middle. I know you can't have probowlers at every position, but having one of the best at QB is a huge competitive advantage.

Edited by GreggTX