How would the Bills have done with Josh McCown this season?

The 9 Isles

1 hour ago, The 9 Isles said:

Just thinking about how relatively well McCown has done for the Jets this year. He is AFC player of the week this week. 

If TT had been picked up by someone else last off season and we picked up McCown as a place holder I think we would be sitting in one of the wild card spots right now. 

It"s just a thought. I ready for all the aggressive flames coming my way.

McCown - 2017
Comp - 67.8
Yards - 2,880
TD - 18
Int -  8
Qbr - 96.7

Taylor -      2017
Comp - 63.2
Yards - 2,090
TD - 12
Int - 4
Qb r- 88.6

Not a huge difference in passing stats but that does not tell the whole story as everyone knows. This team seems to always bring out the woulda, coulda, shoulda’s. Oh well, maybe we finally get QB this draft. We’ll see. 

So I looked at rushing TDs because I figured that might modify the TD narrative. Turns out McCown has more of those too. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

I've asked this question a dozen times..., and it begs to question are we better off using our draft stock to fill in holes and build around a journeyman QB if we're not in position to get THE quarterback we want... I don't want to settle for the 4th or 5th guy off the board, which unfortunately we may still have to do, even if we trade up given the needs of other teams that will likely pick before us based upon record. 

7 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

5-5 on a bad Dolphins team.

And he still hasn't played the Bills yet.  Watch out my dude.

Jay Cutler IS awesome.

Sorry.

His numbers are on par with Taylor and strangely enough....he’s got less passing yards.

BTW...I’m just teasing you.  Seriously though...Cutler is pretty bad.

1 hour ago, The 9 Isles said:

Just thinking about how relatively well McCown has done for the Jets this year. He is AFC player of the week this week. 

If TT had been picked up by someone else last off season and we picked up McCown as a place holder I think we would be sitting in one of the wild card spots right now. 

McCown - 2017
Comp - 67.8
Yards - 2,880
TD - 18
Int -  8
Qbr - 96.7

Taylor -      2017
Comp - 63.2
Yards - 2,090
TD - 12
Int - 4
Qb r- 88.6

Not a huge difference in passing stats but that does not tell the whole story as everyone knows. This team seems to always bring out the woulda, coulda, shoulda’s. Oh well, maybe we finally get QB this draft. We’ll see. 

Whaley tried hard to get McCown after he had that one good half year in 2013 with Bears and became FA. I believe Whaley offered him more money then McCown accepted from Bucs.

Whaley was right to go after him. He would have been a great "b/u"  "spot starter" and now shown he is a "bridge guy" also. The trifecta for his talent level.

Marrone would have loved him as he would have been better than Manual and Orton would have never been coaxed out of retirement. Bills may have made playoffs that year and he would still be here as a b/u at least unless Beano dumped him for a pizza.

Edited by cba fan
add

This thread is the culmination of people not realizing that for the 1 problem Taylor has he fixes a handful of others.  Taylor hangs on to the ball too long/doesn't throw it into tight windows.  He is tentative on throwing into tight coverage and frequently hangs on to the ball too long.  Completely legitimate gripe and I've even found myself yelling at the TV ............."get rid of the damn ball".  That said McCown would be crucified behind this offensive line.  Some games would be worse than others but many games would be ugly sack riddled nightmares.  The timing and route running by our pass catchers is very very poor.  The play calling is frequently very poor.  Combine that with Taylor not wanting to throw picks and again you get holding the ball too long.  Just throwing it anyways is rolling the dice.  Peterman was a prime example of why you can't make a living throwing into coverage.  McCown might be better at it.  I doubt he's THAT much better at it.  Combine our WR's, line, and Dennison and I highly doubt McCown is having a good year if he played here.  McCown or Taylor you are not going to see much better production with street cast offs at WR and Dennison.  Someone might argue Brady or Rogers could get better production with what we've got and I'd say sure, you are probably right.  Let me know when we've got either one of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

With Anderson and Kearse that's an easy call. 

Yeah, 5-9 in the same division with better receivers and a similar defense in points allowed.  Not sure how he would have a better record at this point on the Bills

4 hours ago, The 9 Isles said:

McCown - 2017
Comp - 67.8
Yards - 2,880
TD - 18
Int -  8
Qbr - 96.7

Taylor -      2017
Comp - 63.2
Yards - 2,090
TD - 12
Int - 4
Qb r- 88.6

There's always a good chance McCown would have gotten obliterated behind this oline, be sitting on IR and Peterman would have started more games. Peterman could have thrown 46 interceptions at this point forcing Buffalo to sign RGIII who slipped on a mat and is on IR.

After that we would obviously try and lure Kyle Orton back out of retirement. After that failed and Tim Tebow didn't answer his phone, Johnny Manziel was too drunk to find his and Colin Kapernick couldn't locate his cell in his hair.... McDermott would play QB himself. Every play he would miss the shotgun snap because he wouldn't stop clapping, then wrestle anyone that tries to recover. Somehow we would still finish 7-9.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/6/2017 at 9:00 AM, jmc12290 said:

I got murdered on this board for saying McCown was way better than he was given credit for.

Sup, haters.

I'm actually not surprised that McCown has been effective. I am surprised that he's stayed healthy all year. And yes, we would have at least a couple more wins with him as our QB.

On 12/6/2017 at 10:35 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:
McCown - 2017
Jets
Comp - 67.8
Yards - 2,880
TD - 18
Int -  8
Qbr - 96.7

So sad. A Journeyman JAG is better than our starter. 

You could say the same thing about Case Keenum. (But probably not about Brian Hoyer!)

On 12/6/2017 at 7:14 AM, hondo in seattle said:

800 yards more passing and 6 more TDs at the price of 4 more picks.  

Eminently worth it.

On 12/6/2017 at 7:17 AM, Mr. WEO said:

maybe 5-7.

Jets WRs are better.

Kearse? Who's never cracked 700 yards in his career until this year (probably)? Anderson...the UDFA and his <600 yards last season? Better than Matthews and Benjamin? 

On 12/6/2017 at 2:31 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, 5-9 in the same division with better receivers and a similar defense in points allowed.  Not sure how he would have a better record at this point on the Bills

I’d guess it would have something to do with the 18 tds and no 60 yard passing days 

On 12/6/2017 at 8:02 AM, GunnerBill said:

He has played better than Tyrod but he isn't great.  It is why I hate the rush to judge QBs just on their most recent season.  I actually think the Colin Cowherd theory of once a QB has played in their league for 5 years then throw out their best year and throw out their worst year what you are left with is probably what they are.  

Pretty much this.

Remember how great Fitzpatrick was his first year with the Jets. McCown is basically duplicating what Fitz did that year. 

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Eminently worth it.

Kearse? Who's never cracked 700 yards in his career until this year (probably)? Anderson...the UDFA and his <600 yards last season? Better than Matthews and Benjamin? 

Benjamin has played less than 2 games as a Bill.  Mathews 10.  Both are out.

The Bills best WRs, again this year, are a RB and a TE.