Early signing period: December 20-22

YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This may not belong here but I felt like sharing. I went to a HS game 2 years ago to see Destrehan and Hahnville. That’s where Ed Reed, the Landry brothers and a bunch of others went. At any rate there was this sophomore RB at Hahnville named Anthony “Pooka” Williams. He was the best HS athlete that I had ever seen (and it isn’t close). He looked like Reggie Bush in HS.

I’ve been casually following him since. He had some academic issues so signed at Kansas. LSU has been all over him to flip but he may not. Pooka has been timed at 4.27 and plays in the highest level of football in Louisiana. He had 1,730 yards and 23 TDs on only 158 carries in the regular season. He had another 915 yards and 10 TDs In 3 playoff games on 90 carries!! This guy is playing against some of the top talent in the country!!

Read the article and watch the highlights. He’s going to be an interesting guy to keep an eye on: https://amp/s/articles.nola.com/prepsports/index.ssf/2017/12/anthony_pooka_williams_making.amp

https://youtu.be/UWtxmRnhwlE

So are his academic issues ok now since LSU offered him? I looked him up on rivals and it looks like he has offers from tcu, Arkansas, Nebraska, UCLA and others but he has no interest. Must really like Kansas.

26 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So are his academic issues ok now since LSU offered him? I looked him up on rivals and it looks like he has offers from tcu, Arkansas, Nebraska, UCLA and others but he has no interest. Must really like Kansas.

For some reason the link isn’t working but it was on the front page of the Advocate last week. Just google it because it is pretty good. Alabama is all over him now and Oklahoma wants him too. Kansas stayed with him despite his struggles and the area recruiter is the former coach at Warren Easton in New Orleans.

This kid is ridiculous. The game I went to had guys going to A&M, TCU, FSU, etc... and he was by miles the best player on the field. He was just a sophomore. Apparently it wasn’t a fluke because he has dominated everyone.

The numbers I posted earlier don’t include the 234 and 3 TDs he hadn’t in the next playoff game. He has 1,149 and 13 TDs in 4 playoff games at the highest level in the state. He has over 2,900 yards, 36 TD and 10.5 ypc In 14 games.

He plays in the dome today and I might go.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

For some reason the link isn’t working but it was on the front page of the Advocate last week. Just google it because it is pretty good. Alabama is all over him now and Oklahoma wants him too. Kansas stayed with him despite his struggles and the area recruiter is the former coach at Warren Easton in New Orleans.

This kid is ridiculous. The game I went to had guys going to A&M, TCU, FSU, etc... and he was by miles the best player on the field. He was just a sophomore. Apparently it wasn’t a fluke because he has dominated everyone.

The numbers I posted earlier don’t include the 234 and 3 TDs he hadn’t in the next playoff game. He has 1,149 and 13 TDs in 4 playoff games at the highest level in the state. He has over 2,900 yards, 36 TD and 10.5 ypc In 14 games.

He plays in the dome today and I might go.

Can’t felieve he’s only a 3 Star. But the star system is kind of skewed. Sometimes relies on camps and they don’t/can’t all go to those. For example Master Teague is only a 3 Star and you watch his HS film it’s insane ... sometimes they will get bumped up after all star games and such, or big time offers. I bet your guy gets another star with the interest from Bama, etc. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Can’t felieve he’s only a 3 Star. But the star system is kind of skewed. Sometimes relies on camps and they don’t/can’t all go to those. For example Master Teague is only a 3 Star and you watch his HS film it’s insane ... sometimes they will get bumped up after all star games and such, or big time offers. I bet your guy gets another star with the interest from Bama, etc. 

Yeah, I don’t buy into the whole star system. I’m telling you I’ve never seen a high school athlete even close to this kid. He’s the best player in the state and may have been for 3 years. He may have to go the Juco route because of his grades. I promise though you will hear his name again. After I saw that game I started tweeting at Jeremy Birmingham, Urban, anyone at OSU I could think of to get him on their radar!! 

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Whoa... huge flip 

I pretty much expected him to go, but it's a strange choice.  He said during his original recruiting process that he wanted to play in more pro-style system, which McElwain ran, but now he leaves Mullen for an air raid offense at Ole Miss program that is in complete turmoil?

Mullen's offense isn't a great fit (apparently he started recruiting other QBs as soon as he signed), but Ole Miss is surprising.  Good luck to him, though.

3 hours ago, Acantha said:

I pretty much expected him to go, but it's a strange choice.  He said during his original recruiting process that he wanted to play in more pro-style system, which McElwain ran, but now he leaves Mullen for an air raid offense at Ole Miss program that is in complete turmoil?

Mullen's offense isn't a great fit (apparently he started recruiting other QBs as soon as he signed), but Ole Miss is surprising.  Good luck to him, though.

Thought it was an odd choice as well. 

Couple things I heard tonight - OSU staff has privately moved away from Emory jones as his ratings have dropped . They will still take him in this class if he decides to sign but they offered matt Baldwin for a reason. He’s a late bloomer but they love him. From baker Mayfield’s HS in Austin. Also they moved away from parsons a couple months ago. Urban was livid about his twitter thing about the QB situation. And they think there is a good chance that Dre’Mont Jones is coming back next year and will move to DE ( some inside, some outside similar to Joey Bosa)

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 12/15/2017 at 10:14 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Couple things I heard tonight - OSU staff has privately moved away from Emory jones as his ratings have dropped . They will still take him in this class if he decides to sign but they offered matt Baldwin for a reason. He’s a late bloomer but they love him. From baker Mayfield’s HS in Austin. Also they moved away from parsons a couple months ago. Urban was livid about his twitter thing about the QB situation. And they think there is a good chance that Dre’Mont Jones is coming back next year and will move to DE ( some inside, some outside similar to Joey Bosa)

Baldwin just won the Texas State Championship - I'm sure Coach Day and the rest of the staff are happy to have him on board.  But between Haskins and Baldwin, does this signal a move away from the zone-read/RPO offense?  Martel seems tailor-made for Urban's offense, so it likely isn't gone for good, but it will be interesting to see the looks change over the next few years depending on which QB is in there.

I also would not be surprised to see Emory Jones remain indecisive and end up honoring his commitment.  Kid seems confused about what he wants to do.

Lots of fans are concerned about DE.  I'm sure with the historically great DT class coming in that someone will be able to move to the outside if necessary, and like you said if Jones comes back and makes that move then I'd consider the position pretty much stabilized.

Also, LJ recently refuted the rumors about his retirement.  

2 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

Baldwin just won the Texas State Championship - I'm sure Coach Day and the rest of the staff are happy to have him on board.  But between Haskins and Baldwin, does this signal a move away from the zone-read/RPO offense?  Martel seems tailor-made for Urban's offense, so it likely isn't gone for good, but it will be interesting to see the looks change over the next few years depending on which QB is in there.

I also would not be surprised to see Emory Jones remain indecisive and end up honoring his commitment.  Kid seems confused about what he wants to do.

Lots of fans are concerned about DE.  I'm sure with the historically great DT class coming in that someone will be able to move to the outside if necessary, and like you said if Jones comes back and makes that move then I'd consider the position pretty much stabilized.

Also, LJ recently refuted the rumors about his retirement.  

They are still going hard after Tyreke smith and Jason Oweh. Urban, LJ, Schiano and others visited both this weekend. If we can get at least one i would be happy. 

Very concerned about Jaiden Woodbey after he visited both USC and FSU (late offer) this weekend. But he says he’s still signing on Wednesday... so I doubt he would flip that quickly without any relationships at FSU. Only flip I could see is usc which is in his backyard. Jackson Carman also visited usc this weekend and seemed enamored. I always considered Clemson to be our biggest competitor with him but 24/7 shows him crystal balled almost completely to OSU still.

at this point with Emory jones, I heard that Ryan Day told him it’s not going to work out at OSU. He not only visited Florida but he also went to FSU this weekend. He’s all over the place. Still says he’s signing on Wed. This is a kid who needs to de-commit, take some time, and sign in Feb. If he wants somewhere he will play right away, he should go to UF. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Oh and Jayson Oweh in an interview with 24/7 openly admitted that OSU was being negative recruited, people telling him LJ was going to retire. James Franklin?  Oweh is down to 2, OSU and PSU. 

Sucks that LJ had to come out and make that statement that he’s not going anywhere. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.