"Not a chance." - Rodak on Coaching Change

BigDingus

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/260353/whats-next-for-nfl-teams-out-of-playoff-race

In this article discussing where it has gone wrong for NFL teams out of the playoff race (or about to be), Rodak discusses our offensive & defensive struggles, the latter of which he attributes a lot to the offense (and Tyrod specifically) and then follows up on what needs to happen next.

To the question on if a coaching change is the answer, he writes: "Not a chance. McDermott will be given two years at a minimum to turn things around in Buffalo and most likely longer. McDermott is the third coach who has worked under owners Terry and Kim Pegula since they bought the team in 2014. Turning to a fourth coach in five seasons would work against the message of continuity and long-term building that ownership has stressed."

He continues in a more detail about why it won't happen, and I completely agree. What coach worth his salt would want to come here after the history previous coaches have had with this ownership? And with expectations to end an 18 year playoff drought on top of that? Heck no!

In regards to the defensive struggles, this is something many on here have been trying to explain but too many people ignore it. " It is fair to pin some of the blame for the defense's struggles on an offense that often has failed to stay on the field. The Bills have the NFL's second-worst offensive time of possession and the sixth-worst starting field position for their defense. The problems can be traced to quarterback Tyrod Taylor and the passing game, which has averaged 174.4 yards per game -- third worst in the league."

The defense has been far & away the main reason we've won ANY games this season. To try and defend Tyrod in those losses saying "can Tyrod stop the run?" or "can Tyrod play corner?" while then trying to pile on is just deflecting. Even the best teams face opponents that score on them, but they're expected to respond offensively to do their part. Even in the games we lost, the defense made several stops, but the offense responds with a quick 3 & out. How demoralizing is that to you as a unit when you've fought tooth & nail to finally get off the field, only to be sent right back out before you can even catch your breath? Is the defense really expected to gift the offense 3+ turnovers a game & amazing field position on every drive for us to even be competitive? 

Anyway...take a look at the Bills section of the article. For once I agree completely with Rodak. Keep McDermott, draft a QB, continue revamping what you inherited with the last regime and move on.

• Like (+1) 8

I completely agree with all that. Took everything I was thinking and layed it out nicely. Honorable mention of every turnover that never lead to points. I think we beat the Patriots with any kind of offence. I think instead of 5-2 we could of possibly been 7-0 with an offence.

I also think instead of just staying a score ahead in games the team would be up multiple scores with so many turn over opportunities. Then maybe the defense doesn't fall off a cliff for 3 games.

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/260353/whats-next-for-nfl-teams-out-of-playoff-race

In this article discussing where it has gone wrong for NFL teams out of the playoff race (or about to be), Rodak discusses our offensive & defensive struggles, the latter of which he attributes a lot to the offense (and Tyrod specifically) and then follows up on what needs to happen next.

To the question on if a coaching change is the answer, he writes: "Not a chance. McDermott will be given two years at a minimum to turn things around in Buffalo and most likely longer. McDermott is the third coach who has worked under owners Terry and Kim Pegula since they bought the team in 2014. Turning to a fourth coach in five seasons would work against the message of continuity and long-term building that ownership has stressed."

He continues in a more detail about why it won't happen, and I completely agree. What coach worth his salt would want to come here after the history previous coaches have had with this ownership? And with expectations to end an 18 year playoff drought on top of that? Heck no!

In regards to the defensive struggles, this is something many on here have been trying to explain but too many people ignore it. " It is fair to pin some of the blame for the defense's struggles on an offense that often has failed to stay on the field. The Bills have the NFL's second-worst offensive time of possession and the sixth-worst starting field position for their defense. The problems can be traced to quarterback Tyrod Taylor and the passing game, which has averaged 174.4 yards per game -- third worst in the league."

The defense has been far & away the main reason we've won ANY games this season. To try and defend Tyrod in those losses saying "can Tyrod stop the run?" or "can Tyrod play corner?" while then trying to pile on is just deflecting. Even the best teams face opponents that score on them, but they're expected to respond offensively to do their part. Even in the games we lost, the defense made several stops, but the offense responds with a quick 3 & out. How demoralizing is that to you as a unit when you've fought tooth & nail to finally get off the field, only to be sent right back out before you can even catch your breath? Is the defense really expected to gift the offense 3+ turnovers a game & amazing field position on every drive for us to even be competitive? 

Anyway...take a look at the Bills section of the article. For once I agree completely with Rodak. Keep McDermott, draft a QB, continue revamping what you inherited with the last regime and move on.

While I generally agree that the offense has been terrible and that's been the biggest problem,, the defense has certainly not played well in several games as well. This defense doesn't look like a group that can compete yet with the top offenses, like New Orleans or New England. The are soft vs the run and have a below average pass rush. That's not going to fly against the top teams.

30 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Honestly WTF?

How is this even a question?  

Bills are almost certain to improve on last year's record AND have a stack of draft picks AND oh, btw, McD just got here...

Again - WTF??

Yeah seems like the idea of a coaching change after this season is a non-starter. Rodak threw it in to rile up the fans. I mean, I know the Bills are kinda bad, but they're not the Browns.