Do you feed the birds?

mead107

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yep!

You want the orioles... An sliced orange spiked to a feeder will attract them.

I'd actually love to attract orioles.  I've seen one in my life and it was whilst fishing on the Hudson River (not far from my house).  That will be my mission this summer.  And bluebirds.  My parents had bluebirds move into one of their birdhouses.  I need a birdhouse, too.  Perhaps two.

Hmmm they eat the lettuce seedlings so I suppose I feed em, but not intentionally and it doesn’t make me happy. We have franklins and pheasants I try to feed buckshot about twice a week and endangered nene geese that make the most gawdawful racket when they decide to land in your field. I don’t like birds really.

I feed them. We have a maple about 20' off our front porch and I hang the feeder from it at about the six foot level.

I keep a set of binoculars on a window inside, and I check them out every day.

This year I decided to only use high end bird food. Its a little more expensive, but the cost is worth it to me.

I always wondered how they eat the bigger stuff, but this year I watched them on through the binocs.

The trap the larger nuts between their feet and peck away to break them down.

My daughter told me I was getting to be an "old man."

Oh well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

the binocs were for a tree 20 feet away?    Um  Sure  OK I buy that.   (no I don't)

Absolutely.

It's 20' off the front porch, which is about 8' wide, so the total distance from eyeballs in my dining room window to the feeder is about 28 1/2 feet.

You can't see detail at that distance without them, and the interest is in the detail.

And here's a "for instance" about using the glasses to watch them.

Right after I posted that, I put the glasses on and watched them.

They have a real preference for various foods in the birdseed mix, as most people know.

One of the items in the mix I am using is cashew, and it is their favorite. You can clearly see the cashew inside the glass feeder because of its color contrast and side. 

On of them was pecking away at the glass cylinder that houses the mix as it drops out the bottom.

The bird was pecking away at the glass because there was a big cashew inside, but at the top of the mix, and and he was trying to knock it down, unsuccessfully.

Would not have seen that without the glasses.

34 minutes ago, row_33 said:

glad to read that someone is so unjaded by what's freely out there that they could see binoculars as something pervy....

In my case ... it took one to accuse one.    What else are binocs for when living in  or near an apartment complex?  

When a hot chick strolls in front of the wide open windows naked  (every weekend) ...  who wouldn't look?  

We would sit on the stairs outside my apartment door and the only view we had was the window across the way.  

My neighbors and I would have fun adding "commentary"   

She walks in naked, boyfriend / hubby watching March Madness,  she says a few things to him then she picks up her  medium size dog and leaves he room.

Dog gets lucky, hubby gets the dog house. 

I've got 2 feeders. One is pretty big and holds about 20 lbs. The other is much smaller and hold about 5. I get the big bags at Costco in the winter which contain some combination of Milo, Cracked Corn, White Millet and Black Oil Sunflower seed.

I don't fill them up as much in the summer as I do in the winter. Its pretty cool to watch a day or two before a snow storm how the birds all flock to the feeders and clean them out. How do it know?

I get a pretty decent assortment. Mostly wrens, finches, doves a few orioles, cardinals and the occasional blue jay. Theres a chipmunk or two that live under my deck that make regular visits as well.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

I mentioned the suet, upthread.  Anyone else put out suet blocks?

Who doesn't like a little pure fat in their diet!  Birds go crazy for it.  The blocks go in a cage and we hang it from the spruce tree.

Wife also takes another cage and stuffs it with lint/cotton and other nest building material.  They sell it with the bird seed.

34 minutes ago, mead107 said:

I built a bird feeder for my cousin 15 years ago. 

Holds 400 lbs of birdseed   

400 POUNDS?  Huh?  Holy Smokes.  Does it pass building code.  Sure it isn't 40 pounds? :unsure:

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I mentioned the suet, upthread.  Anyone else put out suet blocks?

Who doesn't like a little pure fat in their diet!  Birds go crazy for it.  The blocks go in a cage and we hang it from the spruce tree.

Wife also takes another cage and stuffs it with lint/cotton and other nest building material.  They sell it with the bird seed.

400 POUNDS?  Huh?  Holy Smokes.  Does it pass building code.  Sure it isn't 40 pounds? :unsure:

Nope. 400 lbs.  he puts the bags in his tractor’ s bucket and one of his son’s ride the bucket up and  dump the seed in.  

Next time I am at his camp I will take a picture. 

14 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I was busting chops.   

I bought into my development in 2009 and at the beginning and all you could see is fields (front and back).   I used to use my binocs to watch the small herds of deer 50 to 100 feet away.  

Now my view is house after house after house.  

That’s a little creepy. Ever catch someone staring back at you eye to eye with their binocs?  :wacko:

Edited by Augie