Do you feed the birds?

mead107

I just put our feeder out last week.  Birds are just coming around.    3 feeders on one pole. 

Fun watching the squirrels try and get to the feeders. I will switch one to sunflower seeds in a couple weeks. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Birds and squirrels 

And a cat that stays indoors and watches them intently

Squirrels comes inside? 

My grandfather would open the front door and the squirrel would come in and take the nots right out of his hand 

Edited by mead107

We have birds, squirrels (squirrel cannot get into feeder but sometimes will lay on top and stick paw into it) and a very busy chipmunk.

The chipmunk goes into the feeder and eats while pushing more seed out.

The bigger birds like doves eat the leftovers from ground along with squirrels while they behave.

This is the 5th birdfeeder type we have had and only one effective against the squirrels.

I miss the bigger birds feeding from feeder but we needed to find way to keep squirrels outs out and evidently hooking bird feeder to electrical circuit and frying them is illegal; my wife tried using an air gun on them but they learned to ignore it.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, mead107 said:

I just put our feeder out last week.  Birds are just coming around.    3 feeders on one pole. 

Fun watching the squirrels try and get to the feeders. I will switch one to sunflower seeds in a couple weeks. 

We have one.  

I buy wild bird food and ACE usually has a sale where you get a sunflower seed for free.  

I mix the  two. 

Funny thing I don’t have squirrel problems.   

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

We have one.  

I buy wild bird food and ACE usually has a sale where you get a sunflower seed for free.  

I mix the  two. 

Of course. In Loundon County squirrel is high in demand for meals. 

8 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

We have one.  

I mix the  two. 

A singular sunflower? How generous!  :)

I have a bird feeder, but our neighborhood discourages them because of squirrels and rats. I haven’t put food in it in a couple years...which may have coincided with the great “Flying Squirrels in the Attic” event. Yay, $2,500 to seal up the attic. 

We do have a big fountain in the back yard (slightly taller than my wife, but not quite Billy Crystal in Analyze This or That -  “Quick! someone call the Vatican to see if anything is missing”) which the birds love and keeps them in the yard. 

Had a HS English teacher who when catching someone chewing gum would make them open the window and throw it out on the lawn. He would say "Go feed the snowbirds" (seagulls).

The same teacher   had a few more good ones.   He taught a senior elective  on mythology.  He said we were covering  Greek, Roman , Norse, Egyptian,  and Polish (yes they had gods before becoming Catholic). A girl  (with a Polish name)started laughing and he said. "Want to hear a Polish myth?- You graduating.":lol:

Edited by Wacka

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

No.  Those begging little bastards can fend for themselves.  Get a freaking job, tweety.

I would feed them if we could get a deal that they would stop pooping on me! I have quite the track record there, and it’s usually in public.  Ask my wife to tell you about the time we were on a cruise and I came out of the water after snorkeling toward a couple thousand fellow-cruisers staring at me on beach chairs. She’ll laugh so hard you may never hear the story. 

What’s the over/under on how many times the average person has been pooped on by a bird? 

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

My wife is the crazy birder.  American goldfinches are so pretty.  I believe she feeds them thistle.

Yes, that's what attracts them.  They are beautiful birds.  The males are so bright and they seem to travel in pairs a lot (male/female).  I usually have 2-3 finch feeders and another 2 hummingbird feeders in the summer.  I also have one, larger, birdhouse that my parents gave to me.  It's kind of like a gazebo.  I just put a generic seed mix in that and it attracts anything.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Yes, that's what attracts them.  They are beautiful birds.  The males are so bright and they seem to travel in pairs a lot (male/female).  I usually have 2-3 finch feeders and another 2 hummingbird feeders in the summer.  I also have one, larger, birdhouse that my parents gave to me.  It's kind of like a gazebo.  I just put a generic seed mix in that and it attracts anything.

Yep!

You want the orioles... An sliced orange spiked to a feeder will attract them.