Ryan Shazier update - spinal surgery

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Hi. I work in the most dangerous profession ever!  I can judge.  

In the past 2 mos...

I've about had fingers ripped off by shearing wire.

Been thrown 12' in the air by a bored bull

Been kicked a dozen times trimming donkey hooves.

Been rushed by angry Mama's as I work their calves. Including stomped. Kicked.  Head butted. 

I've fallen 30' down a ravine, end over end and had my head cut open.

Fallen from a few trees

Sore backs, twisted an ankle, beaten up.

I've bled. I've bruised. I've been beaten down.  Yeah, I'll judge some candy ass playing a sport. And I won't B word about what i do because while itsy job, I love what i do.

They know what they sign up for and so do I.  I am not entitled as a fan. I could not care less about a player off the field most of the time but I respect the **** out of what most of them do.

But, you don't have to thank me. Just remember when you eat your next meal that you're thanking me already. 

I win.  Bon appetite

The bag guy at the A&P is owed something, too.  

The drug dealer on the corner just tryin' to make some money to feed his daughter,
and all the niggas in the struggle, you know what I'm sayin'? Is owed something

The Harvard educated lawyer making $200k in central New York representing drunks is owed something.

The Fireman who lost his wife and now works to support his kids, Eric and Tori, while forgetting to sign up for benefits is owed something, too

Everyone is owed something. 

#Participationtrophiesforall

lmao at this response...none of anything you wrote has anything remotely to do with the topic at hand.  This quite honestly one of the worst replies I have seen in a while to something.  So you are right, I guess you win that.  #Congrats

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I have a spinal contusion from a football injury in ‘85. While I eventually walked out of Crouse-Irving in Syracuse (with 2canes and a halo), I have numbness in all four limbs to this day. C-3/C-4 contusion. 

Yes, I consider myself lucky.

Holy ****, dude.  How old were you?  That must have been a horrible, scary experience.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

lmao at this response...none of anything you wrote has anything remotely to do with the topic at hand.  This quite honestly one of the worst replies I have seen in a while to something.  So you are right, I guess you win that.  #Congrats

No I'm just literally focusing on what you said, that these players have a right to anything more than the contract allows them. They don't they're dancing little Showgirls for us and they get paid a king's ransom for it. The only difference is they don't show us their titties

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Meanwhile Gronk tries to decaptiate a defenseless and unaware player and gets a ONE GAME suspension.  Shazier is fighting for his life.  Shame on Gronk and the NFL for only giving him a one game suspension.  His attack should’ve gotten him multiple games if not the season.  What a cowardly league and patriot Tight end.  Disgusting 

Well put. The juxtaposition of these two events has bothered me all week. On one hand we have a potentially catastrophic outcome that's the result of the violent nature of the game, on the other hand a defenseless player went into concussion protocol due to a completely unnecessary blow to the head well after the whistle. 

IMO the NFL missed an opportunity to make a strong statement regarding their concern for player safety with Gronk/White.

On a side note, a few years ago Belichik sat Welker for the first offensive series against the Jets after Welker's hilarious presser where he made multiple references to Rex's foot fetish. I'm not expecting it after the 1 game suspension but it would be a nice gesture to do the same to Gronk in his first game back.,

33 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Well put. The juxtaposition of these two events has bothered me all week. On one hand we have a potentially catastrophic outcome that's the result of the violent nature of the game, on the other hand a defenseless player went into concussion protocol due to a completely unnecessary blow to the head well after the whistle. 

IMO the NFL missed an opportunity to make a strong statement regarding their concern for player safety with Gronk/White.

On a side note, a few years ago Belichik sat Welker for the first offensive series against the Jets after Welker's hilarious presser where he made multiple references to Rex's foot fetish. I'm not expecting it after the 1 game suspension but it would be a nice gesture to do the same to Gronk in his first game back.,

I think that the Ref's and League officials are afraid of their jobs to do anything to a Patriots player, coach, or owner. I read all of the posts that say as much weekly. We have to face it that some owners are more equal than others and we are not in their orbit.

22 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

No I'm just literally focusing on what you said, that these players have a right to anything more than the contract allows them. They don't they're dancing little Showgirls for us and they get paid a king's ransom for it. The only difference is they don't show us their titties

To your point, a contract is law, and a player is really only owed what is written into a deal, but be a human and have some compassion, man.  And don't act like teams (or even corporations that sponsor athletes) don't go above and beyond the deal points all the time...

Regardless, the fact that NFL players don't have great health care for life, is laughable and a huge failure on the part of the league and player's association.  NFL players generate billions of dollars in revenue by putting their bodies on the line, they should be taken care of and taken care of well, IMO.

Just now, Heitz said:

To your point, a contract is law, and a player is really only owed what is written into a deal, but be a human and have some compassion, man.  And don't act like teams (or even corporations that sponsor athletes) don't go above and beyond the deal points all the time...

Regardless, the fact that NFL players don't have great health care for life, is laughable and a huge failure on the part of the league and player's association.  NFL players generate billions of dollars in revenue by putting their bodies on the line, they should be taken care of and taken care of well, IMO.

i get that, but they are not owed that.

coolest thing Ralph Wilson ever did was keep Kevin everett on the roster to get benefits thru the nflpa.

11 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Not calling you out or putting this on you, but your statement made me wonder what the players association stance on Gronk/White is. Did they support Gronks appeal of the suspension? Or put another way, what's more important to them in this case, player safety or compensation?

4 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Did he actually? I didn't know that

i'mm trying to find a link to the story about it... but found this...

http://rebrn.com/re/pure-class-story-of-the-day-bucs-sign-paralyzed-rutgers-player-l-1356203/

this was the best i could find mentioning it

"Business can’t have a heart? Let’s run that one by Ralph Wilson. The Buffalo Bills owner kept tight end Kevin Everett on the active roster for three years after his famous injury. Everett thankfully recovered from paralysis and was able to walk into the stadium only a few months later. Mr. Wilson’s decision to sacrifice a roster spot for that long in order to insure Everett’s access to lifetime medical care and a full pension was without doubt an idiotic choice when viewed from a winning or bottom-line perspective."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/barbara-bruno/peyton-manning-jim-irsay_b_1295173.html
so, alpha... i guess this also shows you're kind of off base.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Meanwhile Gronk tries to decaptiate a defenseless and unaware player and gets a ONE GAME suspension.  Shazier is fighting for his life.  Shame on Gronk and the NFL for only giving him a one game suspension.  His attack should’ve gotten him multiple games if not the season.  What a cowardly league and patriot Tight end.  Disgusting 

Honestly, at that moment, Gronk straight wanted to give White a Shazier injury. Like he tried his damned hardest.

On 12/5/2017 at 10:16 AM, thebandit27 said:

I can't watch when guys have these injuries

I've been there (hockey injury when I was 15), and it's absolutely terrifying.  I made a full recovery, but man it was a close call.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it PTSD, but whenever I see a guy go down like that, it physically affects me.

I am very hopeful that he doesn't have long-term issues.

Same with knee injuries for me. I cant watch that stuff. things bent wrong and all that. I went through it and I am glad I am done with playing now.

5 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Hi. I work in the most dangerous profession ever!  I can judge.  

In the past 2 mos...

I've about had fingers ripped off by shearing wire.

Been thrown 12' in the air by a bored bull

Been kicked a dozen times trimming donkey hooves.

Been rushed by angry Mama's as I work their calves. Including stomped. Kicked.  Head butted. 

I've fallen 30' down a ravine, end over end and had my head cut open.

Fallen from a few trees

Sore backs, twisted an ankle, beaten up.

I've bled. I've bruised. I've been beaten down.  Yeah, I'll judge some candy ass playing a sport. And I won't B word about what i do because while itsy job, I love what i do.

They know what they sign up for and so do I.  I am not entitled as a fan. I could not care less about a player off the field most of the time but I respect the **** out of what most of them do.

But, you don't have to thank me. Just remember when you eat your next meal that you're thanking me already. 

I win.  Bon appetite

The bag guy at the A&P is owed something, too.  

The drug dealer on the corner just tryin' to make some money to feed his daughter,
and all the niggas in the struggle, you know what I'm sayin'? Is owed something

The Harvard educated lawyer making $200k in central New York representing drunks is owed something.

The Fireman who lost his wife and now works to support his kids, Eric and Tori, while forgetting to sign up for benefits is owed something, too

Everyone is owed something. 

#Participationtrophiesforall

jesus christ, what did i just read here. Pretty much making this thread about an injured player all about you. You come off as a self centered prick that likes to hear himself talk using a football thread to get all your bitterness off you chest. Give us a break.

And you'll be getting no thanks from me because you don't produce any of my meals. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

Holy ****, dude.  How old were you?  That must have been a horrible, scary experience.

I just turned 30, playing in a tavern-sponsored ‘Touch Leaague’ in Oswego. Playing QB, we were running a trick play, sweep right throwback to me across the field. I stumbled breaking out in the pattern, caught my balance and just as I looked back up, a linebacker was drifting my way looking away at the ball carrier/passer. I only had a splint second to lower my head from a face to face smash up as we struck each other not seeing one another. I hit his jaw with the top of my head, separating the vertebrae. As the EMT’s were connecting a board under me to transport me, I said “You’ve got my ass pinched in there!” The 1st Responder said ‘you’re lucky you can feel that..’ but didn’t fix the device. Traveled via ambulance from Oswego HS to the critical ward in Syracuse with a broken neck and a pinched ass! Ha!! 

The guy I collided with had 2 molars knocked out and emergency dental surgery. Thank God it was just touch football..

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I just turned 30, playing in a tavern-sponsored ‘Touch Leaague’ in Oswego. Playing QB, we were running a trick play, sweep right throwback to me across the field. I stumbled breaking out in the pattern, caught my balance and just as I looked back up, a linebacker was drifting my way looking away at the ball carrier/passer. I only had a splint second to lower my head from a face to face smash up as we struck each other not seeing one another. I hit his jaw with the top of my head, separating the vertebrae. As the EMT’s were connecting a board under me to transport me, I said “You’ve got my ass pinched in there!” The 1st Responder said ‘you’re lucky you can feel that..’ but didn’t fix the device. Traveled via ambulance from Oswego HS to the critical ward in Syracuse with a broken neck and a pinched ass! Ha!! 

The guy I collided with had 2 molars knocked out and emergency dental surgery. Thank God it was just touch football..

My jaw dropped, reading this.

You may/may not recall (I've written about it here in the past), but a couple years ago (mid-January), my friend's 18-year-old son was in Maryland.  He was going to school on a hockey scholarship and went down early to meet his team/housemates.  They were !@#$ing around in a snowstorm and he slipped off the roof of the house.  The fall normally wouldn't have been bad, but he landed on his back and landed on something hard (rock or ice) and broke his back and his neck.  He's paralyzed from the waist, down.

Great kid with a great attitude, but man, did it change the entire family's lifestyle immediately.

I'm glad your injury turned out to be less-severe, but still very sorry you've got long-lasting effects.

• Sad 1

Why is it always the play that didn't look like much seem to always cause the most severe injuries. You have these guys get absolutely blown up and worst case is a concussion. It was just bad form on his tackling by leading and dropping the crown of his helmet. Sad to see and praying he makes a full recovery.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My jaw dropped, reading this.

You may/may not recall (I've written about it here in the past), but a couple years ago (mid-January), my friend's 18-year-old son was in Maryland.  He was going to school on a hockey scholarship and went down early to meet his team/housemates.  They were !@#$ing around in a snowstorm and he slipped off the roof of the house.  The fall normally wouldn't have been bad, but he landed on his back and landed on something hard (rock or ice) and broke his back and his neck.  He's paralyzed from the waist, down.

Great kid with a great attitude, but man, did it change the entire family's lifestyle immediately.

I'm glad your injury turned out to be less-severe, but still very sorry you've got long-lasting effects.

Saddened to learn this about your friends son. In my hospital ward, we had an 18 y/o who broke his neck race diving into a pool. He was a HS swimming champ but his head was just in the wrong position when he entered the WATER and snapped his neck. Quadriplegic for life. (I was the only one in my ward who walked out of the hospital after a couple months. The other two came from a motorcycle and a car wreck..)