Ryan Shazier update - spinal surgery

YoloinOhio

On 12/8/2017 at 8:59 AM, Chandler#81 said:

I doubt it. Curing cancer has a better chance..

Not clear at all.  Here's the thing: cancer is spoken of as though it's a single disease, like smallpox or lyme disease.  But the underlying cause is dozens of different genetic mutations, and the outcome is influenced by accompanying expression (or lack thereof) of dozens of different genes.  As pharmaceutical developers (note I do not say pharmaceutical companies, reason for this) brought forward different promising drug candidates to test on larger populations, they lernt this the hard way as promising candidate X Y and Z flamed out.

OTOH, being paralyzed in the age of polio vaccine has one primary cause: traumatic injury to one class of cells, motor neurons.  And there have been huge advances already in how the early treatment is managed, how rehab is managed, using electrical impulses to cause movement even in the absence of sensation.  So I think there will be great advances there.
http://time.com/54146/paralysis-electrical-pulses/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Somehow I'd missed the comments of Mike Mitchell of the Steelers after that awful Monday night game. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/mitchell-jerk-week-whining-nfl-safety-rules-article-1.3685986

Astoundingly tone deaf on the very night his teammate was taken to the hospital with what everyone knew was at least temporary paralysis. Kind of makes me hate the Steelers almost (I said almost) as much as the Pats.

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not clear at all.  Here's the thing: cancer is spoken of as though it's a single disease, like smallpox or lyme disease.  But the underlying cause is dozens of different genetic mutations, and the outcome is influenced by accompanying expression (or lack thereof) of dozens of different genes.  As pharmaceutical developers (note I do not say pharmaceutical companies, reason for this) brought forward different promising drug candidates to test on larger populations, they lernt this the hard way as promising candidate X Y and Z flamed out.

OTOH, being paralyzed in the age of polio vaccine has one primary cause: traumatic injury to one class of cells, motor neurons.  And there have been huge advances already in how the early treatment is managed, how rehab is managed, using electrical impulses to cause movement even in the absence of sensation.  So I think there will be great advances there.
http://time.com/54146/paralysis-electrical-pulses/

That is interesting and a well-articulated, intelligent analysis.  Thanks for sharing.

32 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

That is interesting and a well-articulated, intelligent analysis.  Thanks for sharing.

You are welcome!

I will add the reason I say "pharmaceutical developers" rather than "pharmaceutical companies" is that pharmaceutical companies, while not generally the "evil empires" some paint them as, are (surprise) out to make a profit.  So the types of cancer they target for drug candidates, are the ones affecting more people, and a drug candidate that proves to only work on a small part of a patient population that has specific genetic markers, will typically be dropped even if it may work well for that part.   Numerically small cancers, such as childhood neuroblastoma, gain treatments only due to research conducted at universities - research which is typically funded by government grants and now under attack.

Backstory on my chops here available on request

• Like (+1) 3

To everyone that had injuries that they are still affected I was sad to hear that.

It is amazing how as a parent your mindset changes as you get older and your kids get older.  My son tore his acl right before going to school on scholarship....rehabbed it up...played some college and now plays semi pro ball down in Oregon.

I wished every day he would just hang it up but he loves the game.   Just played in a semi pro all star game where he scored the game winning points sacking the opposing qb for a safety......I was both happy and sad at the same time.  Love that he still had a chance to live his dreams in some sort of way but now worry about injury quite a bit.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/8/2017 at 9:33 AM, Chandler#81 said:

I just turned 30, playing in a tavern-sponsored ‘Touch Leaague’ in Oswego. Playing QB, we were running a trick play, sweep right throwback to me across the field. I stumbled breaking out in the pattern, caught my balance and just as I looked back up, a linebacker was drifting my way looking away at the ball carrier/passer. I only had a splint second to lower my head from a face to face smash up as we struck each other not seeing one another. I hit his jaw with the top of my head, separating the vertebrae. As the EMT’s were connecting a board under me to transport me, I said “You’ve got my ass pinched in there!” The 1st Responder said ‘you’re lucky you can feel that..’ but didn’t fix the device. Traveled via ambulance from Oswego HS to the critical ward in Syracuse with a broken neck and a pinched ass! Ha!! 

The guy I collided with had 2 molars knocked out and emergency dental surgery. Thank God it was just touch football..

....wow....how are you doing today bud?.....my son got t-boned by a drunk driver on 7/04/09 and they doubted he would make it, but kept telling me that he had his age (20) going for him....had two broken hips (plates, pins, screws etc,)) broken femur requiring emergency surgery for rod implant, 80+ stitches/staples, collapsed lung, two transfusions and four broken ribs.....despite more hardware than Home Depot has on its shelves, he's with us today and is a beast...thank God you were only 30 and probably had the same healing power prognosis as well as expert care to be with us today...may God bless....:thumbsup:..

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....wow....how are you doing today bud?.....my son got t-boned by a drunk driver on 7/04/09 and they doubted he would make it, but kept telling me that he had his age (20) going for him....had two broken hips (plates, pins, screws etc,)) broken femur requiring emergency surgery for rod implant, 80+ stitches/staples, collapsed lung, two transfusions and four broken ribs.....despite more hardware than Home Depot has on its shelves, he's with us today and is a beast...thank God you were only 30 and probably had the same healing power prognosis as well as expert care to be with us today...may God bless....:thumbsup:..

Thank you for sharing.  Not that I like reading these stories happening to people but it helps us all put things into perspective.  I'm very happy that your story and the other poster's story ended in a positive way.  

On 12/7/2017 at 10:03 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Not calling you out or putting this on you, but your statement made me wonder what the players association stance on Gronk/White is. Did they support Gronks appeal of the suspension? Or put another way, what's more important to them in this case, player safety or compensation?

The NFLPA's stance is most likely that compensation is all they have meaningful input on, because that's what the basis of their negotiation of the CBA was. It leaves their hands seriously tied, until the CBA's up for renegotiation, at which point we'll know what they think.  

Odds are, it'll be a circus.  NFLPA's going to have a lot of competing priorities, some of which have nothing to do with football.  If they're smart, they'll understand that compensation, discipline, and safety are all related and negotiate them as such.  Instead, I'll bet they negotiate some sort of social justice recognition into the CBA that they can crow about that has nothing to do with football, while the players are still subject to the whimsical idiocy of the league office.

I broke my back in a high school football game and I had chills watching the same thing happen to Shazier. Mine was a little different as it was helmet to helmet, but I immediately reached for my back just like him. Mine was T4 & T5.  Immediate swelling made it feel like I had a large grapefruit on my spine. Scary feeling not being able to feel your legs. I was very lucky and made a full recovery (although my plan to play Canadian university football the next season was over.) and it set me back a long time. My rehab actually started with lifting soup cans! Doctors said “heads you walk, tails you don’t.”  Heads it was! 

• Like (+1) 3

On 12/9/2017 at 11:07 AM, The Frankish Reich said:

Somehow I'd missed the comments of Mike Mitchell of the Steelers after that awful Monday night game. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/mitchell-jerk-week-whining-nfl-safety-rules-article-1.3685986

Astoundingly tone deaf on the very night his teammate was taken to the hospital with what everyone knew was at least temporary paralysis. Kind of makes me hate the Steelers almost (I said almost) as much as the Pats.

I listened to the whole interview and didn't have a problem with anything he said. He talked about Shazier and how concerned he was for him, then they moved on to a different topic.

He was asked about being suspended/fined for making hits as a safety and made a good argument, IMO.

Edited by Rob's House