Ryan Shazier update - spinal surgery

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Forget football, I'm just hoping the guy can walk without crutches eventually. Awful situation.

...EXACTLY bud.......hope and pray the youngster heals to lead a normal life without football FIRST......Everett miraculously got his chance and is by all accounts leading a decent life....Stingley was never that lucky, paralyzed for life and died FAR too early at age 55......Tatum never apologized and some say diabetes and leg amputation was a higher power's payback...all for a game....

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And yet people in some other threads keep telling me the players are owed nothing but their contracts.  Statements like that make me sick for these very reasons.  I stated that the team owes it to the Vets who lay it on line every week to start the QB this week the staff feels gives us the best chance to win.  Several posters snapped back that the vets and players are owed nothing other than the contracts.  What BS.  These guys put their well being on the line each and ever week for the fans, their franchise, their families, and their teammates.  Its about time more respect is shown to them, but because they get big paychecks people think they aren't owed anything.  Even worse, those checks aren't guaranteed.  

Next time I see someone b*tch about a player who is holding out, I want them to come back and remember what this kid is going through.  His career is in serious jeopardy and looknig like it could be over and would be losing his primary source to provide for his family since contracts are not guaranteed, and will also be battling to just have a normal life again.

Prayers to him and his family.  Hoping for better news and a full recovery.

Shazier was owed nothing more than his contract. That he signed. That he negotiated. That he chose. That he desired. 

Shazier hopefully made good life choices and adulted well.  Hopefully he has good benefits for long term care. Hopefully he has divested his salary among many opportunities for his future.

Sorry not sorry. I will tell the player he is a fool. Sorry not sorry, shazier knew the chances he took on the field.  When he stepped on the field he knew what could happen, life is about choices. 

Shazier made his. Spare me the empathy of someone's freewill and voluntary opportunity.  His profession is hardly that dangerous compared to plenty of other jobs. His profession is actually one of the safest around for what it is.

Of course, I hope he recovers and moves on with life. But I won't let an opportunity to get on my own soapbox to holler over to yours. 

Edited by Boyst62
  • Like (+1) 2

Best wishes to RS with his injury and his life. He'll have the best care in the world and I hope he makes a full recovery. 

We notice him as fans of the sport but playing in the NFL is not near the top of most dangerous jobs but pays extremely well. 

I don't hear anyone bemoaning the fate of loggers, pilots, fisherman, iron workers, truckers or any of the other most dangerous jobs in America. About 5,000 workers die each year from job related accidents. None of them are NFL players (until we count CTE). None of these have the health or pension benefits of NFL players. None have the earning potential of NFL players.

NFL players earn high incomes for playing a dangerous sport but mostly because it draws in a lot of fans. Logging is a hell of a lot more dangerous but nobody pays to watch them so they are injured and die without fanfare. 

I'm not trying to minimize Shazier's injury or situation, just trying to put it in context. Oddly, Shazier's life may be better in 20 years if he's forced to retire than it might be if he continues playing because of the dangers of CTE.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

Best wishes to RS with his injury and his life. He'll have the best care in the world and I hope he makes a full recovery. 

We notice him as fans of the sport but playing in the NFL is not near the top of most dangerous jobs but pays extremely well. 

I don't hear anyone bemoaning the fate of loggers, pilots, fisherman, iron workers, truckers or any of the other most dangerous jobs in America. About 5,000 workers die each year from job related accidents. None of them are NFL players (until we count CTE). None of these have the health or pension benefits of NFL players. None have the earning potential of NFL players.

NFL players earn high incomes for playing a dangerous sport but mostly because it draws in a lot of fans. Logging is a hell of a lot more dangerous but nobody pays to watch them so they are injured and die without fanfare. 

I'm not trying to minimize Shazier's injury or situation, just trying to put it in context. Oddly, Shazier's life may be better in 20 years if he's forced to retire than it might be if he continues playing because of the dangers of CTE.

And there is no proof linking CTE to football in a way that is conclusive!

58 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Shazier was owed nothing more than his contract. That he signed. That he negotiated. That he chose. That he desired. 

Shazier hopefully made good life choices and adulted well.  Hopefully he has good benefits for long term care. Hopefully he has divested his salary among many opportunities for his future.

Sorry not sorry. I will tell the player he is a fool. Sorry not sorry, shazier knew the chances he took on the field.  When he stepped on the field he knew what could happen, life is about choices. 

Shazier made his. Spare me the empathy of someone's freewill and voluntary opportunity.  His profession is hardly that dangerous compared to plenty of other jobs. His profession is actually one of the safest around for what it is.

Of course, I hope he recovers and moves on with life. But I won't let an opportunity to get on my own soapbox to holler over to yours. 

First of all, you aren't not remotely close to what I stated.  If you read what I wrote, it was based on a comment in ANOTHER thread where I stated that while we are IN the hunt for a playoff spot, the coaches owe it to the veterans to put the team out on the field with the best chance to win.  It was about which QB to start.  I stated that if they feel NP gives them best chance, it should be him...if TT is that guy, it should be him.  And I said they owe to the vets who go out every game, every week, every season even when futile to win to keep striving what was beat into them all offseason and year...make the playoffs.

People responded that the players are owed nothing.  And quite frankly that is total bull**** thing to say, and honestly your whole rant here, even as off topic and inaccurate it is of a reply to what I said is also another self entitled fan bunch of BS.

I swear, fans make me sick with how they coldly view players at times.  They think because players make more money then them that they are deserving no respect for what they do for a living.  You think football isn't that dangerous?  Then you are a fool.  Sure, there are professions that have higher risk of fatality, but football as a sport is incredibly violent and players are hurt badly every week and many end their careers with life altering pain, issues, and now brain damage.  

But you as a fan have this entitled opinion of screw em because they make so much money and remove all humanity for what they put on the line to ENTERTAIN you.  Yes they get paid well, but ONLY when they stay healthy and the teams honor their contracts.  

Honestly lost some respect for you on your reply.  Players deserve more from the fans...

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Let's hope and pray that this is not the case.

Wish him a speedy and full recovery, but I hope for his own personal health he decides to never step foot on the field for a game again. 

Edited by H2o

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But you as a fan have this entitled opinion of screw em because they make so much money and remove all humanity for what they put on the line to ENTERTAIN you.  Yes they get paid well, but ONLY when they stay healthy and the teams honor their contracts.  

Honestly lost some respect for you on your reply.  Players deserve more from the fans...

Let's not pretend that the players do what they do out of some altruistic virtue to entertain fans. Different players have different motivating factors,  but it all comes down to some variation of a risk/reward analysis that they have done in their mind.  I'm willing to bet that a huge checkmark in the reward column for 99 percent of players is the monetary aspect. And,  that's fine.  But,  with the reward comes the risk. These guys are highly paid entertainers.  They aren't necessary for society to function.  His situation sucks,  and as a human being I recognize that aspect of it. I also understand that these same injuries (and more) happen to people in their vocations where the monetary reimbursement isn't nearly the same,  the level of medical care is much less,  and there is no media to bring light to it. 

Edited by Sig1Hunter

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

First of all, you aren't not remotely close to what I stated.  If you read what I wrote, it was based on a comment in ANOTHER thread where I stated that while we are IN the hunt for a playoff spot, the coaches owe it to the veterans to put the team out on the field with the best chance to win.  It was about which QB to start.  I stated that if they feel NP gives them best chance, it should be him...if TT is that guy, it should be him.  And I said they owe to the vets who go out every game, every week, every season even when futile to win to keep striving what was beat into them all offseason and year...make the playoffs.

People responded that the players are owed nothing.  And quite frankly that is total bull**** thing to say, and honestly your whole rant here, even as off topic and inaccurate it is of a reply to what I said is also another self entitled fan bunch of BS.

I swear, fans make me sick with how they coldly view players at times.  They think because players make more money then them that they are deserving no respect for what they do for a living.  You think football isn't that dangerous?  Then you are a fool.  Sure, there are professions that have higher risk of fatality, but football as a sport is incredibly violent and players are hurt badly every week and many end their careers with life altering pain, issues, and now brain damage.  

Well said, Alphadawg7.   :thumbsup:  

12 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Let's not pretend that the players do what they do out of some altruistic virtue to entertain fans. Different players have different motivating factors,  but it all comes down to some variation of a risk/reward analysis that they have done in their mind.  I'm willing to bet that a huge checkmark in the reward column for 99 percent of players is the monetary aspect. And,  that's fine.  But,  with the reward comes the risk. These guys are highly paid entertainers.  They aren't necessary for society to function.  His situation sucks,  and as a human being I recognize that aspect of it. I also understand that these same injuries (and more) happen to people in their vocations where the monetary reimbursement isn't nearly the same,  the level of medical care is much less,  and there is no media to bring light to it. 

I think you are missing what my point was, and I hear what you are saying, and don't really disagree with you.  Except you are kidding yourself if you think players only play for the money.  To make it at the NFL level you need to LOVE this game to a level most people don't understand.

My point came about as a COACH owing it to the players that you DEMAND everything form every week to go out and try and win this next game.  Those players put their safety, health, etc at risk for the benefit of the team.  And if they don't, they won't keep their job.  So this stemmed from the question of which QB start, again why I keep referencing the other thread originating my irritation on how players are viewed.  All Shazier is in this convo is an example of what they risk every play.  

My response is that while we are competing still for a playoff spot, the coaches owe it to those vets who play hurt, work hard, battle every week for the team, coaches and players to field the best team this week to keep their playoff goal alive.  Thats where this came from.  

Why irritated me was all the "players are owed nothing" comments and how they are so dehumanized in the eyes of some fans just because they can make a lot of money.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

On 12/5/2017 at 9:59 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I have a spinal contusion from a football injury in ‘85. While I eventually walked out of Crouse-Irving in Syracuse (with 2canes and a halo), I have numbness in all four limbs to this day. C-3/C-4 contusion. 

Yes, I consider myself lucky.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't think he'll play again, I knew he wouldn't as soon as I heard it was a spinal injury, that never ends good. He'll likely be in chronic pain for the rest of his life, very sad. He was playing for a new contract, it's unfortunate he did not cash in before getting hurt, I hope the NFL compensates him handsomely.

7 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I have a spinal contusion from a football injury in ‘85. While I eventually walked out of Crouse-Irving in Syracuse (with 2canes and a halo), I have numbness in all four limbs to this day. C-3/C-4 contusion. 

Yes, I consider myself lucky.

Crazy! Thanks for sharing

Meanwhile Gronk tries to decaptiate a defenseless and unaware player and gets a ONE GAME suspension.  Shazier is fighting for his life.  Shame on Gronk and the NFL for only giving him a one game suspension.  His attack should’ve gotten him multiple games if not the season.  What a cowardly league and patriot Tight end.  Disgusting 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hi. I work in the most dangerous profession ever!  I can judge.  

In the past 2 mos...

I've about had fingers ripped off by shearing wire.

Been thrown 12' in the air by a bored bull

Been kicked a dozen times trimming donkey hooves.

Been rushed by angry Mama's as I work their calves. Including stomped. Kicked.  Head butted. 

I've fallen 30' down a ravine, end over end and had my head cut open.

Fallen from a few trees

Sore backs, twisted an ankle, beaten up.

I've bled. I've bruised. I've been beaten down.  Yeah, I'll judge some candy ass playing a sport. And I won't B word about what i do because while itsy job, I love what i do.

They know what they sign up for and so do I.  I am not entitled as a fan. I could not care less about a player off the field most of the time but I respect the **** out of what most of them do.

But, you don't have to thank me. Just remember when you eat your next meal that you're thanking me already. 

I win.  Bon appetite

32 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think you are missing what my point was, and I hear what you are saying, and don't really disagree with you.  Except you are kidding yourself if you think players only play for the money.  To make it at the NFL level you need to LOVE this game to a level most people don't understand.

My point came about as a COACH owing it to the players that you DEMAND everything form every week to go out and try and win this next game.  Those players put their safety, health, etc at risk for the benefit of the team.  And if they don't, they won't keep their job.  So this stemmed from the question of which QB start, again why I keep referencing the other thread originating my irritation on how players are viewed.  All Shazier is in this convo is an example of what they risk every play.  

My response is that while we are competing still for a playoff spot, the coaches owe it to those vets who play hurt, work hard, battle every week for the team, coaches and players to field the best team this week to keep their playoff goal alive.  Thats where this came from.  

Why irritated me was all the "players are owed nothing" comments and how they are so dehumanized in the eyes of some fans just because they can make a lot of money.  

The bag guy at the A&P is owed something, too.  

The drug dealer on the corner just tryin' to make some money to feed his daughter,
and all the niggas in the struggle, you know what I'm sayin'? Is owed something

The Harvard educated lawyer making $200k in central New York representing drunks is owed something.

The Fireman who lost his wife and now works to support his kids, Eric and Tori, while forgetting to sign up for benefits is owed something, too

Everyone is owed something. 

#Participationtrophiesforall

Edited by Boyst62
Required

My nextdoor neighbor is a decent neighbor (let's his grass get a little long) but apparently a very good neurosurgeon. He is also from Pittsburgh and a huge Steelers fan.

I spoke to him tonight and just judging by reports he is not optimistic that RS will ever play again. 

I hope the guy can recover and live a full and happy life even if it's not in football. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Meanwhile Gronk tries to decaptiate a defenseless and unaware player and gets a ONE GAME suspension.  Shazier is fighting for his life.  Shame on Gronk and the NFL for only giving him a one game suspension.  His attack should’ve gotten him multiple games if not the season.  What a cowardly league and patriot Tight end.  Disgusting 

Ya it was disappointing and the league is like it's okay he didn't break his neck. What if the next guy is like it will only he 1 game and his victim is paralyzed because of an idiot then they will lay the hammer down.

Gronk deserved more he's been clean but doesn't make up for the clear shot he took