Ryan Shazier update - spinal surgery

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I can't watch when guys have these injuries

I've been there (hockey injury when I was 15), and it's absolutely terrifying.  I made a full recovery, but man it was a close call.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it PTSD, but whenever I see a guy go down like that, it physically affects me.

I am very hopeful that he doesn't have long-term issues.

This is going to seem insane: I just now noticed that TODAY is the 22nd anniversary of the very day that I suffered my injury.

December 5, 1995.

Wow.

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

This news doesn't sound that great to me at all.

It could be much worse right now, for sure, but he obviously still has really limited movement in his legs.  Let's hope it gets better.

Yeah, that is the scary part. I was reading that the most improvement typically happens in first 24-48 hrs.

Aditi KinkhabwalaVerified account @AKinkhabwala
FollowFollow @AKinkhabwala
More

Steelers won't know more re Ryan Shazier until the swelling goes down. But Tommy Maddox had similar injury, made full recovery once swelling was gone. That is giving these players much optimism.

9:49 PM - 4 Dec 2017

Some optimism at least. 

Edited by Captain Murica
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah, this whole thing is not going super well and it that was kind of obvious the moment the hit took place.  

If the guy can regain most of the use of his legs and get around OK, he will be very lucky.  If he can't continue to play in the NFL, that's OK.

Still hoping for full recovery for the guy, of course.

And yet people in some other threads keep telling me the players are owed nothing but their contracts.  Statements like that make me sick for these very reasons.  I stated that the team owes it to the Vets who lay it on line every week to start the QB this week the staff feels gives us the best chance to win.  Several posters snapped back that the vets and players are owed nothing other than the contracts.  What BS.  These guys put their well being on the line each and ever week for the fans, their franchise, their families, and their teammates.  Its about time more respect is shown to them, but because they get big paychecks people think they aren't owed anything.  Even worse, those checks aren't guaranteed.  

Next time I see someone b*tch about a player who is holding out, I want them to come back and remember what this kid is going through.  His career is in serious jeopardy and looknig like it could be over and would be losing his primary source to provide for his family since contracts are not guaranteed, and will also be battling to just have a normal life again.

Prayers to him and his family.  Hoping for better news and a full recovery.

• Thank you (+1) 1